GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
ZuffaKiller

Cung Le says no TRT Empty Cung Le says no TRT

Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:13 am
In two weeks, or as I like to say, an eternity, the UFC will be back, live and in our homes. The Macao card represents a giant leap forward for the organization with Asian MMA fans, and will no doubt get a lot of eyes on it. Headlining the card, Cung Le and Rich Franklin will be doing their level best to ensure a successful venture in China.

With Franklin having taken some pretty tough blowback after fans were made aware of his consideration of a TRT exemption (edited for veracity) , he has decided to go it without the added assistance. Le, in an interview with Ariel Helwani, said that it didn't matter to him one way or the other, just that he, himself, would be coming in clean.

I grabbed a quick interview with Cung about an hour ago, to get some final thoughts from him before he heads to China. He revealed a couple of interesting things to me, one of which was that his UFC contract is for six fights. I know that contracts can always take an alternate route than their written content, but it sort of gave me a little added comfort to know that there is still plenty of opportunity to get my fix of spinning wheel kicks and bona fide action.

UFC Contract

This isn't the last fight on my contract. I actually have a six fight deal, so after this fight, it will be my half way mark. I'm taking it one fight at a time, and not looking too far ahead, right now. The crosshairs are on Rich Franklin, and nothing else.

TRT

You know, I never really thought about it. I feel that if other athletes have low levels, and a doctor prescribes it, then that's their decision to make. My decision is that I've gone this far without it, so I just want to finish out my career without the use of it. If Rich decides to do it or not, it's his decision. For me, it just doesn't change the gameplan. My back kick won't discriminate. It will connect the same way and do the same damage. I've gone this far without assistance, so why mess with a good thing? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

New Trainer

My last fight, against Patrick Cote, I finally felt great. I got the proper rest and training. I've got a new trainer now (Scott Sheeley). Everything is really scientific, and broken down into components. I take nothing away from Javier Mendez, but he's just too busy and has too many fighters. I'm a lot happier with how everything is being put together now. It's more focused on me, instead of just waiting in line, waiting for your turn, wondering if you'll get this Monday or the next one.

Retirement

I'm 40 years old. I know I won't be fighting until I'm 50, but I do know that I've got a couple more good fights left in me. I really try not to think too far ahead. For me, it always revolves around my current fight.

Changing weight classes

Cutting weight, for me, is a health issue. I cut a lot of weight in high school wrestling and junior college wrestling, and a lot of times, I felt like my performance was affected by the weight cuts. Now, I'm 40 years old. Why would Iwant to put that kind of stress on my body. It's just not healthy. Guys like to cut way down and then come in huge for a fight, but in the long run, it does so much damage to your body and internal organs. Look at Anthony Johnson. He did a lot of harm to himself cutting all that weight. Now he's fighting at 205 and doing well. There's a line you have to draw sometimes, and I've been at this weight for years. I'm not going to change up anything. If I have to cut 30 pounds, I know it will affect my performance.

Cung's fight will be following the theatrical release of his new movie, The Man With The Iron Fists, which will be in movie theaters on November 2nd. This gives fans more than one way to get their fill of his exciting style. For me, it's a win-win situation.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/10/27/3563308/ufc-macao-cung-le-says-no-to-trt
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum