GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
nhbnews
nhbnews
The Godfather of MMA Media
http://eddiegoldman.com

No Holds Barred: Bellator Debut on Spike January 17 Preview with Michael Chandler, Rick Hawn, Pat Curran, Patricio Pitbull, Babalu, Bjorn Rebney Empty No Holds Barred: Bellator Debut on Spike January 17 Preview with Michael Chandler, Rick Hawn, Pat Curran, Patricio Pitbull, Babalu, Bjorn Rebney

Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:32 pm
On this edition of No Holds Barred, host Eddie Goldman speaks with Bellator MMA fighters Michael Chandler, Rick Hawn, Pat Curran, Patricio Pitbull, and Renato "Babalu" Sobral, and Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney.

The highly-anticipated debut of Bellator MMA on Spike TV will take place this Thursday, January 17, on a card at the University of California’s Bren Center in Irvine, California. It will be broadcast live in the U.S. on Spike TV and in the Spanish language on mun2.

Bellator returns with a bang by featuring two title fights on this first card of 2013. Bellator lightweight champion Michael Chandler will defend his belt against challenger and former U.S. judo Olympian Rick Hawn. Bellator featherweight champion Pat Curran will face Patricio "Pitbull" Freire. This card will also feature the start of the Bellator season eight light heavyweight tournament, including an opening round bout between grappling and MMA veteran Renato "Babalu" Sobral and Russian MMA fighter and former combat sambo champion Mikhail Zayats.

On a series of recent Bellator media conference calls, we had a chance to speak with Michael Chandler, Rick Hawn, Pat Curran, Patricio "Pitbull" Freire, Renato "Babalu" Sobral, and Bjorn Rebney. We discussed with the fighters what to expect in these important title and tournament fights, and with Bjorn Rebney the plans for upcoming tournaments.

In these interviews, former Missouri wrestling All-American Michael Chandler called it "an honor" to fight an Olympian and an "awesome" opponent like Rick Hawn, while Rick Hawn noted that this fight "has the potential to live up to the Alvarez-Chandler fight", the four-round war in November 2011 where Chandler captured the Bellator lightweight title from Eddie Alvarez. Both fighters come from different grappling backgrounds, but have added effective striking to their arsenals to sustain them at this level of competition.

Pat Curran described his transformation from being a wrestler who fought MMA into a fighter who has become more confident as a striker. "I love striking. I love everything about it. I love learning new moves, new techniques." Patricio "Pitbull" Freire stated that his opponent is an "all-around" fighter and "complete in all areas". We shall see how much striking and grappling will take place in this fight, but both fighters can win on their feet or on the ground.

With their compelling title fights, championship tournament format, and the best TV deal they've ever had, Bellator MMA, which began in 2009, is now in a position to make a major and lasting impact on the MMA world. Their January 17 debut card on Spike is one of the strongest MMA shows which will ever be shown on free TV in the U.S., so make sure to watch it.

Plus, we briefly comment on the Eddie Alvarez contract situation and its coverage in the media.

You can play or download No Holds Barred at http://nhbnews.podomatic.com/entry/2013-01-13T14_47_40-08_00 and http://archive.org/details/NoHoldsBarredBellatorDebutOnSpikeJanuary17PreviewWithMichael. If one link does not work, please try another.

No Holds Barred is also available on mobile phones and iPads through Stitcher (http://landing.stitcher.com/?vurl=noholdsbarred).

Also, No Holds Barred is available through iTunes at http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=150801513&s=143441.

The No Holds Barred theme song is called "The Heist", which is also available on iTunes by composer by Ian Snow(http://magicpumpkinstudios.com).

No Holds Barred is free to listen to and is sponsored by:

ONE Fighting Championship (http://onefc.com). ONE FC is Asia's largest and most prestigious mixed martial arts event. ONE FC features the best Asian fighters and has initiated the ONE Asia Partnership Network, which includes most of the major MMA promotions and MMA gyms in Asia. For more information, go to their web site, at ONEFC.com(http://onefc.com).

MMA World Expo (http://www.mmaworldexpo.com). The mixed martial arts community comes to New York City February 16 and 17, 2013, for the fourth annual MMA World Expo, featuring an amateur MMA tournament, grappling, MMA fighters, seminars with world-class trainers, vendors, panel discussions, and much more. The MMA World Expo takes place Saturday, February 16, and Sunday, February 17, 2013, at the Jacob Javits Center in New York City. For more information, go to (http://www.mmaworldexpo.com).

Beezid.com - Penny Auctions (http://www.beezid.com). Your #1 source for exciting auction shopping and outstanding deals on just about anything! Top rated, most trusted auction site online. Where do you shop? Beezid.com - Penny Auctions (http://www.beezid.com).

American Top Team (http://americantopteam.com). Whether you're a beginner or a champion, train with the champions in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, boxing, wrestling, grappling, and mixed martial arts at American Top Team. Check out their web site at http://americantopteam.com.

Thanks, Eddie Goldman http://eddiegoldman.com
PRIDE NEVER DIE
PRIDE NEVER DIE

No Holds Barred: Bellator Debut on Spike January 17 Preview with Michael Chandler, Rick Hawn, Pat Curran, Patricio Pitbull, Babalu, Bjorn Rebney Empty Re: No Holds Barred: Bellator Debut on Spike January 17 Preview with Michael Chandler, Rick Hawn, Pat Curran, Patricio Pitbull, Babalu, Bjorn Rebney

Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:44 pm
awesome now I got something to listen too, thanks Eddie!
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

No Holds Barred: Bellator Debut on Spike January 17 Preview with Michael Chandler, Rick Hawn, Pat Curran, Patricio Pitbull, Babalu, Bjorn Rebney Empty Re: No Holds Barred: Bellator Debut on Spike January 17 Preview with Michael Chandler, Rick Hawn, Pat Curran, Patricio Pitbull, Babalu, Bjorn Rebney

Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:10 pm
Nice. I'll be listening later today or tomorrow.
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:28 pm
going to listen to this now while I update my tarec highlight

:-)
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:18 am
Always enjoy these conference call episodes.

I once realized after listening to a NHB podcast of a boxing teleconference that a torrent of boxing articles was published, each one focusing on some minor point raised in the same teleconference. NHB News gives it to you straight from the horse's mouth. Much better.
nhbnews
nhbnews

Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:28 am
Thanks. Most of the other questions were absurd. One guy even asked Babalu if he would be comfortable on the ground with Zayats. Many ask about future fights, to which the fighters usually respond that they first have to win in their next fight and focus on that. But the MMA 'media' guys are worse than the boxing ones.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:08 am
Another great interview Eddie. You tell it like it is.

I like your take on the Eddie contract fiasco. For me, it's simple. Eddie had a matching clause in his contract, UFC made an offer, Bellator matched. Regarding hypothetical PPVs, if UFC can have them, so can Bellator. Regarding title fight intent, if UFC can have it, so can Bellator. Regarding hypothetical discretionary bonuses, same as above. Benson Henderson, in the same division, is rumored to be having his second straight fight on FOX. The champ is in two straight non-PPV shows, so no PPV cut. Not sure if they get an extra bonus for this but again, hypothetical discretionary bonuses can be matched.

I know you mentioned you are not always for matching clauses in these contracts like this (or something along these lines) in this show but I think they are necessary for these organizations to help sustain the talent they invest in. I do like the discretionary bonus system as well because it does serve as a pay for performance type system to encourage fighters to perform well and to fight to finish. I like champion's clauses as well but I just wish there was a single sanctioning body forcing these organizations to have cross-promotional super fights between champions at least every year or two.
nhbnews
nhbnews

Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:24 am
These contracts may be good for the promoters but they are bad for the fighters. Promoters are not the attraction; the fighters are. And they don't need promoters.

The fighters should start their own competitions, and hire whomever they need to sell tickets, do publicity, organize the event, get TV, etc.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:20 pm
CDF47 wrote:
I know you mentioned you are not always for matching clauses in these contracts like this (or something along these lines) in this show but I think they are necessary for these organizations to help sustain the talent they invest in. I do like the discretionary bonus system as well because it does serve as a pay for performance type system to encourage fighters to perform well and to fight to finish. I like champion's clauses as well but I just wish there was a single sanctioning body forcing these organizations to have cross-promotional super fights between champions at least every year or two.

I just wanted to address these points.

I understand your perspective. Certainly, I am not calling you wrong, and I think you present I valid viewpoint.

My views are somewhat different though.

On the issue of matching, this one is somewhat complicated. The notion of the companies protecting their "investment" though is one of the logical detachments typical of economic analysis. This is because a fighter is a human being, and not capital (i.e., a machine). The logical detachment results from the pervasive error of equating the laborer with the unit of capital, e.g., of equating the human with the machine. This logical detachment can only lead to contradiction.

The implication is that more complex solutions are needed, which protect the laborer, as well as the capitalist. The precise forms of this can only be formulated at an institutional level. However, collective bargaining which engages the worker (i.e. fighter) with the managers (promoters) in direct negotiation is the most proven method (and the one used in other professional sports).

The discretionary bonus case, I have little to say, other than I do not find credible the notion that the abilities of a professional fighter (or athlete period) to perform is enhanced by the potential of a 'discretionary bonus' after the show. It is possible that it causes fighters to take more risks in order to attempt a knockout or submission, although I question the extent to which this is so. To the extent that it is indeed so, however, it is something which in my view diminishes the effectiveness of the fighter. The knockout/submission should always come naturally, not be forced. The artistic presentation is also adversely influenced when fighters are attempting to force the issue.

The 'champion clause', I have little to say about, other than I still remember quite clearly the Randy Couture fiasco, which makes it pretty difficult to reflect anything good on this aspect of the contracts. The unified sanctioning body thing is a long way off, and therefore unrealistic to even discuss. If boxing can't organize itself, boxing being far more advanced, it's pretty hard to see MMA doing so in the foreseeable future.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:21 pm
nhbnews wrote:These contracts may be good for the promoters but they are bad for the fighters. Promoters are not the attraction; the fighters are. And they don't need promoters.

The fighters should start their own competitions, and hire whomever they need to sell tickets, do publicity, organize the event, get TV, etc.

This is absolutely so.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:22 pm
nhbnews wrote:These contracts may be good for the promoters but they are bad for the fighters. Promoters are not the attraction; the fighters are. And they don't need promoters.

I understand the point and the Muhammed Ali Act but there are a lot of aspects of the promotional orgs. I do like. I like one promotion in a cage under Unified Rules with their group of top fighters and champs and then on the other side of the Earth a promotion in a ring under Asian Rules with their group of top fighters and champs with other orgs. all over the world under various sets of rules. If everyone was just a free agent I don't think I would like the setup for that. I just wish there was a governing body making the top fighters and champs compete outside their promotions for world titles.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:30 pm
nodogoshi wrote:
CDF47 wrote:

I just wanted to address these points.

I understand your perspective. Certainly, I am not calling you wrong, and I think you present I valid viewpoint.

My views are somewhat different though.

On the issue of matching, this one is somewhat complicated. The notion of the companies protecting their "investment" though is one of the logical detachments typical of economic analysis. This is because a fighter is a human being, and not capital (i.e., a machine). The logical detachment results from the pervasive error of equating the laborer with the unit of capital, e.g., of equating the human with the machine. This logical detachment can only lead to contradiction.

The implication is that more complex solutions are needed, which protect the laborer, as well as the capitalist. The precise forms of this can only be formulated at an institutional level. However, collective bargaining which engages the worker (i.e. fighter) with the managers (promoters) in direct negotiation is the most proven method (and the one used in other professional sports).

The discretionary bonus case, I have little to say, other than I do not find credible the notion that the abilities of a professional fighter (or athlete period) to perform is enhanced by the potential of a 'discretionary bonus' after the show. It is possible that it causes fighters to take more risks in order to attempt a knockout or submission, although I question the extent to which this is so. To the extent that it is indeed so, however, it is something which in my view diminishes the effectiveness of the fighter. The knockout/submission should always come naturally, not be forced. The artistic presentation is also adversely influenced when fighters are attempting to force the issue.

The 'champion clause', I have little to say about, other than I still remember quite clearly the Randy Couture fiasco, which makes it pretty difficult to reflect anything good on this aspect of the contracts. The unified sanctioning body thing is a long way off, and therefore unrealistic to even discuss. If boxing can't organize itself, boxing being far more advanced, it's pretty hard to see MMA doing so in the foreseeable future.

I just prefer the fighters/orgs. be setup the way they are. I like that the promotions have an opportunity to keep their fighters by matching contracts. Same with keeping their champs with the champions clause. Hopefully one day in the future a sanctioning body will force the top guys to fight outside their promotion. I agree, it is not that likely today. See my post above. Just my preference.

Regarding the bonuses, I think it does help, having fighters know that if they fight more aggressively and get the finish they could be financially rewarded (positive reinforcement/pay for performance). I wish they would get 50% to fight, 40% if they finish, and 10% if they win rather than the 50% to fight, 50% to win to further encourage aggressive fighting. I just hate the LNP, wall and stall, point fighting type fights. MMA is a fight sport so they should come to fight to finish not just earn points. I think the biggest improvement for this would be if referees started enforcing the Timidity Rule that is stated in the Unified Rules by deducting points for these tactics and DQing fighters for not fighting aggressively.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum