GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

RUFF Plans to Make MMA Huge in China + Why  Empty RUFF Plans to Make MMA Huge in China + Why

Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:54 am
This is a great interview. This is what I have been preaching for years. Indigenous/regional organizations from all over the world with their own indigenous/regional fighters with their own regional styles of MMA, not poisoned homogeneous Ultimate Fighting events over a worldwide facist empire.

These guys have got it (less the cage). China is one of the birthplaces of ancient martial arts. This is embedded in their culture and their history. Why the fuck would they foam at the mouth for point smothering and K-.00000001 kickboxing with little to no submissions or KO's.

RUFF has entrenched themselves with the Chinese government sanctioning and have gotten there by pitching it as a true competitive sport with national championships et al. This will be another sports program like boxing, basketball, and everything else there. Local Chinese and foreigners that live in China only on visa's etc. They are building a sport with the help of the government. Russia will follow now that Putin is back in the front and not in the back again. You can't fight the Force. It will always prevail over the White side.

This is the genesis of a 'real sport' eventually with an independent governing body and a "GlobalMMA World Cup".

RUFF - "In China for China"... Fuck the UFC!!!

http://www.ruffchina.com

RUFF Plans to Make MMA Huge in China + Why the UFC Can't Yet

MMA H.E.A.T.'s Karyn Bryant talks with Joel Resnick, the CEO of Ranik Ultimate Fighting Federation (RUFF), about his organization's plans to grow the sport of MMA in China. Joel gives insight on the depth of the talent pool, the philosophy of the RUFF organization and why he thinks they've been able to make a deal in China while the UFC couldn't. He also talks about the process of getting government approval to promote there, the potential fan base and what it would mean to crown a Chinese national MMA champion. RUFF plans to have a show every eight weeks, and in this clip we see some footage of the fight between Rodrigo Caporal and Zhang LiPeng, which took place on March 24, 2012.

KSW
KSW

RUFF Plans to Make MMA Huge in China + Why  Empty Re: RUFF Plans to Make MMA Huge in China + Why

Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:56 am
Interesting. UFC will never make it in asia. Why would the fans support an american org when they can have their own promotion that puts on events on a monthly basis. I´m hoping for the same thing in Europe. Why wait 6 months to maybe be able to get tickets to a watered down UFC show when you can have a HUGE european promotion that puts on great title fights every month.
Hollywood Dang
Hollywood Dang

RUFF Plans to Make MMA Huge in China + Why  Empty Re: RUFF Plans to Make MMA Huge in China + Why

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:33 am
RUFF is really the worst of the worst.

Rather the UFC in China than this cheap rip off. I really wish them the worst...literally
Hollywood Dang
Hollywood Dang

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:39 am
Dagwood wrote: Indigenous/regional organizations from all over the world with their own indigenous/regional fighters with their own regional styles of MMA, not poisoned homogeneous Ultimate Fighting events over a worldwide facist empire.

Let's see how "own" their style is:

Rules: Unified Rules
Fightstage: Cage
Name of the org: Ranik Ultimate Fighting Federation

Hell they even copy the name of the UFC...this is what you call a own style!?

Dagwood wrote:
He also talks about the process of getting government approval to promote there

Nothing specia, temple fights holds events every month for example.
Dagwood
Dagwood

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:23 am
^^
I hear what you're saying. I'm no fan of the cage or the Unified rules.

I think what you are missing here is there will be no B-level (or lower) American amateur wrestler influence in RUFF. None. This is huge in how the game of MMA (even in the cage) will evolve in RUFF in the Chinese market. These guys are gonna be strikers first and foremost with their main martial arts backgrounds being in their home martial arts.

Regardless of the cage or the UR, MMA will evolve differently under RUFF in China. Case in point, TUF Brazil. The style of fighting on TUF Brazil was very different. For the most part there was quite talented MT strikers and really good BJJ fighters. Not a point-fighting cage-pinning stalemating American B-level amateur wrestler in the bunch. Many of the fights were on a technical-level that the TUF generation of the new American breed can't even comprehend.

Another thing you may have missed is that the RUFF president referred to "the sport" relentlessly (not us/RUFF) and developing it as a national sports program as well as referred to helping nurturing "Chinese kids" and MMA for the country of China. This is not even remotely a Dana or Zuffa mantra. In fact their spaech is the exact opposite. Me, my, us, me, me, me, me, UFC, UFC, UFC....................

PRIDE NEVER DIE
PRIDE NEVER DIE

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:11 am
Hollywood Dang wrote:
Dagwood wrote: Indigenous/regional organizations from all over the world with their own indigenous/regional fighters with their own regional styles of MMA, not poisoned homogeneous Ultimate Fighting events over a worldwide facist empire.

Hell they even copy the name of the UFC...this is what you call a own style!?

Dagwood wrote:
He also talks about the process of getting government approval to promote there

Nothing specia, temple fights holds events every month for example.
im siding with dang on this one, too many ufc clones.
ZuffaKiller

Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:55 pm
Ruff Smells like zuffa to me also

UFC Will Hold First Event in China in 2012

The UFC has long coveted landing a show in China and it looks like they will achieve it in 2012.

UFC President Dana White announced recently that the promotion is close to sealing a deal with the $2.4 billion dollar hotel, the Venetian Macau, which is owned and operated by the Las Vegas Sands corporation, who also handle the Venetian hotel in Las Vegas.

The UFC has looked to expand further and further into Asia, and over the last couple of years more of their plans have come to fruition.

Now it appears landing in China is only a few months away.

“We’re going to do a fight in China. So imagine our first fight in China, we’re talking about doing it in conjunction with the Venetian out there. Imagine the first fight in China, it’s going to be huge,” said White.

“Soon, real soon. It will happen this year.”

The UFC officially opened offices in Asia in August 2010 when the hired former NBA executive Mark Fischer to spearhead the efforts overseas.

Fischer has worked in and around Asia for several years, and helped lead the branding and expansion of the NBA into China.

Now after a successful return to Japan earlier this year, the UFC will look to conquer China as their next major event in Asia.

The UFC has also teased about doing a new Ultimate Fighter in Asia as well, but they’ve yet to release concrete details about when or where that might happen.

The full 2012 schedule for the UFC has not been determined yet either according to White, which is a rarity so says the UFC’s President, but they have blueprints in place to take the promotion to China before the year is out.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-will-hold-first-event-in-china-in-2012
Wolfman
Wolfman

Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:37 pm

^

This really turned me off, but let's wait and see if they'll go into the right direction or become another "RipofFC"
nhbnews
nhbnews
The Godfather of MMA Media
http://eddiegoldman.com

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:37 pm
White is not exactly telling the whole truth (I know that shocks you all). Macau, like Hong Kong, is technically part of China, but has a different type of government and economy, including their own currency. It is much closer to the West. Zuffa can't get into the mainland, as least not yet. RUFF is sanctioned by the Chinese government and has nothing to do with Zuffa. If anything, Zuffa will not appreciate their name and use of an octagon.

Yeah, I prefer the ring to a cage, and the name makes no sense, but they plan to run independently of everyone and focus on a country with "only" 1.4 billion people - the largest population in the world.

Look at the main event of RUFF 3, Caporal vs. Zhang, on their web page: http://www.ruffchina.com

Zhang is not good at wrestling and might have won if he could have stopped some takedowns and got some of his own. That's typical in China. Still, it was a good fight, and I'm waiting for more videos.

They also have extensive prefight medicals and are clear on the rules, unlike the fiasco in Bokesen/WCS where the American fighter Robertson was told it was unified rules but the Chinese fighter was allowed to kick him in the head while he was down.

I have an interview with RUFF founder Joel Resnick being posted in a few days, after ONE FC.
Hollywood Dang
Hollywood Dang

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:21 pm
btw. Legend draws much more viewers than RUFF if im not wrong
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:10 pm
Awesome interview. Seven title fights in one night for all the vacant titles is bad ass. The regional championship plans are sweet as well.

I wish this was like Art of War which was held under full rules in a ring. That is the worst part of this org. beside their name.

Last edited by CDF47 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:13 pm
nhbnews wrote:White is not exactly telling the whole truth (I know that shocks you all). Macau, like Hong Kong, is technically part of China, but has a different type of government and economy, including their own currency. It is much closer to the West. Zuffa can't get into the mainland, as least not yet. RUFF is sanctioned by the Chinese government and has nothing to do with Zuffa. If anything, Zuffa will not appreciate their name and use of an octagon.

Yeah, I prefer the ring to a cage, and the name makes no sense, but they plan to run independently of everyone and focus on a country with "only" 1.4 billion people - the largest population in the world.

Look at the main event of RUFF 3, Caporal vs. Zhang, on their web page: http://www.ruffchina.com

Zhang is not good at wrestling and might have won if he could have stopped some takedowns and got some of his own. That's typical in China. Still, it was a good fight, and I'm waiting for more videos.

They also have extensive prefight medicals and are clear on the rules, unlike the fiasco in Bokesen/WCS where the American fighter Robertson was told it was unified rules but the Chinese fighter was allowed to kick him in the head while he was down.

I have an interview with RUFF founder Joel Resnick being posted in a few days, after ONE FC.

Interesting news there. Looking forward to the RUFF interview.
Dagwood
Dagwood

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:09 pm
nhbnews wrote:White is not exactly telling the whole truth (I know that shocks you all). Macau, like Hong Kong, is technically part of China, but has a different type of government and economy, including their own currency. It is much closer to the West. Zuffa can't get into the mainland, as least not yet. RUFF is sanctioned by the Chinese government and has nothing to do with Zuffa. If anything, Zuffa will not appreciate their name and use of an octagon.

I'm with you Eddie. The UFC in mainland China has about as much chance of getting in there as they do in Russia. I think the RUFF guys have a great approach to making MMA a real sport with state sanctioning in China.
nhbnews
nhbnews
The Godfather of MMA Media
http://eddiegoldman.com

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:40 pm
Thanks. RUFF has a deal with QQ, the huge Chinese IM and social media company which has over 700 million users. They have a page there with some videos: http://cq.qq.com/zt/2012/ruiwu/index.htm

Also, they are working on a North American TV deal with Mandt Brothers, which is handling their TV production. We were also going to interview Neil Mandt but we couldn't get it scheduled this week.

Joel Resnick also said that there is no TV ratings service in China like Nielsen in the US. But since they are hooked up with the Chinese government and the Wushu Administrative Center, there seems a good chance that they will eventually get a major TV deal in China.
Hollywood Dang
Hollywood Dang

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:59 am
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUCK FUCK FUCK
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum