GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Jimmy Smith on controversial Bellator 149 Empty Jimmy Smith on controversial Bellator 149

Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:02 pm
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/25/11100472/bellator-s-jimmy-smith-on-controversial-event-it-s-like-a-buffet-what

With Bellator’s polarizing fight card Friday night drawing record-breaking viewership numbers — which fell in lockstep with the record number of complaints issued — watching the aftermath play out over the week was like watching a dog chase its own tail.

Perhaps the biggest story coming out of Bellator 149 was that Dada 5000 —extremely out of shape and short of experience — reportedly went into cardiac arrest after his co-main event grudge match with his Miami street rival, Kimbo Slice. He is now recovering in a Houston hospital. Meanwhile, in the main event, a 52-year old Ken Shamrock couldn’t overcome an early groin shot that the referee missed, and — boom — the 49-year old Royce Gracie got his arm raised.

This kind of carnival event is a problem you say? If it is, then you’re just as much to blame for perpetuating it.

That’s according to Bellator’s color commentator, Jimmy Smith, who along with Sean Grande called the action from the Toyota Center. Smith didn’t hide his discomfort while watching the spectacle unfold. And during an appearance on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour, he said we’re all complicit in bringing these types of fights to television.

"What everyone keeps forgetting, and I’ve seen this over and over and I’ve said it to anyone who will listen, when Kimbo fought Ken, 2.1 million people watched that fight," he told Ariel Helwani. "And when I see ratings like that, I got to tell you at home I kind of went and smashed my head against my desk a couple of times when I read that, when it first came out, because at the end of a fight like that, networks and promoters and the people in charge don’t change policy because of YouTube comments. They don’t care what you say on the blog, they don’t care what you tweet — they care what you watch."

The actual numbers for Bellator 149 did even better, averaging 2.4 million during the Kimbo-Dada 5000 fight, and peaking at 2.7 million. Those numbers shatter Bellator’s normal Friday night cards, even when titles are at stake. Case in point, Smith pointed out a recent event that was centered more on merit than freak show tenants.

"When you see ‘Vengeance,’ which is a card we had — [Daniel] Straus versus [Patricio] Pitbull, they went to war, Michael Chandler knocks out Caveman [David Rickels], we had amazing fights that night…Will Brooks defeats Marcin Held…with real, legit, young, hungry talent, and it got about 800,000 viewers. Peaked about a million. Which wasn’t bad. Kimbo/Ken doubled that.

"So when fans ask me, why do they put on these fights, why do you think they put on these fights? It’s because you watched it. That’s what you asked for. It’s like a buffet, we lay out all this stuff, and what you eat the most of, that’s what’s for dinner. And I ever tell fans is look, we have six months of cards coming up. We have the main card, with King Mo versus Phil Davis. We have Michael Chandler versus Josh Thomson. We have a title fight this week. We have Koreshkov versus our brand spanking new signing at 170 for the title shot, that’s huge. If you don’t want to see Ben Henderson take on Koreshkov April 22, if those don’t get numbers you’re going to see more of the kind of fights that do get numbers."

Smith was refreshingly candid both during the telecast, not sugarcoating anything or trying to further sell a bill of goods. After the event he tweeted "F…M….L…" as if to pound home the point.

He was also refreshingly candid on Monday’s show. Upon hearing the many outcries from fans and media alike about the circus show that nearly came up tragic, he said it’s up to fans to support legitimate talent, who are fighting in the primes of their careers.

"That’s why I try and tell fans, man, help us out," he said. "Watch the fights that have legit guys, and if those numbers are high, that’s what you will see again. And so in a sense it kind of feeds on itself. When that’s what you watch that’s what you’re going to get, and then you turn around and complain that that’s what you get, well, come on.

"When we show real, legit guys make those numbers high and that’s what you’ll get again. Scott is responding to what the fans are telling him. And like I said you can scream, you can tweet, you can whine, you can do whatever you want — viewership is what drives what you see in Bellator. The fans are in charge of what they see. And if you support the young, hungry talent, then you will see young, hungry talent.

"And that’s what everybody forgets, man."
fka
fka

Jimmy Smith on controversial Bellator 149 Empty Re: Jimmy Smith on controversial Bellator 149

Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:07 pm
I love Jimmy man great commentator snd honest about EVERYTHING....

He speaks the gospel.....bellator listens to fans you had people writing in begging for dada 5000 to fight kimbo.....dada is and or was pretty popular on youtube because of the documentary released,and of course the hometown beef between kimbo and dada......

Everyone knew going in this wasnt gonna be a technical chess match or display of the best athletes...but they wanted it....numbers don't lie they lapped that shit up.Then they cry about the event afterwards lol.

If you want to see young prospects and champions then tune the fuck in.....Bellator is completely based off of ratings so what you watch most is what you get.
fatty
fatty

Jimmy Smith on controversial Bellator 149 Empty Re: Jimmy Smith on controversial Bellator 149

Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:21 pm
Fuck off jimmy smith. Dude should get off t.v is more like it. Rogan clone. This giving the fans what they want bullshit sounds very familiar to me....pretty sure its what ufc used to say before they became really rich & now its all fuck the fans. These people are the same.
fka
fka

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:04 pm
Nice criticism relating to the thread.....not.

Jimmy is absolutely correct people tune in for these shitty fights then complain they are on lol.Good thing last friday showed good numbers showing people will tune in.

Jimmy smith is a great commentator he explains technical positions,gives detailed fight analysis,doesn't bash fighters,and is always honest when interviewed.

I don't get the hate he hasn't done anything but be an excellent announcer.He coulda went to ufc but didn't.

fatty
fatty

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:47 pm
lol

He's on steroids.
fka
fka

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:56 pm
Hes not a fighter so even if he is does it matter?It seems clear your agenda is to bash without any sense of reality so i won't waste my time any further.....have fun.
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:53 pm
because at the end of a fight like that, networks and promoters and the people in charge don’t change policy because of YouTube comments. They don’t care what you say on the blog, they don’t care what you tweet — they care what you watch." wrote:

Just LOL at MMA fans making their little comments.... they make no fucking difference. LOL at trainwrecks like dada vs kimbo getting more views than legit mma

american audience is low brow. MMA should be for hardcores only that stay up to watch at 3am and buy events on DVD and shit..... fuck mainstream
fka
fka

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:53 pm
Translation....

Dont bitch about a fight on the internet and complain about not seeing talent when you dont tune in when they put cards together based on title fights and prospects.

Dont tune in or ask for legends and freaks and you won't get them.

Stu dont forget Entire cards are averaging millions not just the shitty fights.....nothing you can say to that Smile
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:43 am
no they're not ...most are doing 700k ish.

i really couldnt care I dont even watch mma at all anymore
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum