GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Any thoughts of creating a true news website? Empty Any thoughts of creating a true news website?

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:36 am
I just thought we could use a thread to start discussing and thinking about this.

There is no hurry to it, and we should take our time and figure out what we want to do.

I don't know the finances of such an endeavor.

I would say that ideally, it would be best if each person who wants to be involved contributes a bit financially.

If in the lucky circumstance that it turned a buck, we'd be paid back, and the people who did things like website design and writing, etc. should be remunerated.

The latter would require management, and I vote for Dagwood and/or Johan; (both are great and very responsible dudes).

That is putting the cart ahead of the horse. And, the remuneration question wouldn't be a big deal. I would imagine that guys like Dagwood and Johan would do most of the website design anyway, in the event something did take off. Probably, if some of us really would like to see something get off the ground, we could pay a little bit for the bandwidth capacity and what not. If a website did happen, and got established, that would be reward enough. No remunerations would be necessary at all. If in the future, the dream scenario in which the site did make money happened, perhaps people (like me and everyone else) could be paid per article, or something like that. None of this is necessary for discussion right now; I only thought we could use a thread for thinking about these type of things.
KSW
KSW

Any thoughts of creating a true news website? Empty Re: Any thoughts of creating a true news website?

Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:41 am
This sounds awesome. I don´t think it´s difficult or expensive to do this. We need to buy the domain global-mma.net to use on either the forum or news site, then people can just click the forum link on the first page like on Sherdog and other sites. I even found free web hosting and I´m trying to figure out how to use a phpbb designed site on this host.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Any thoughts of creating a true news website? Empty Re: Any thoughts of creating a true news website?

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:07 am
My thoughts on the matter is that we could be a voice for providing an alternative perspective--though a non-biased one--on the state of MMA.

If things really did get going, we would require a good editor. It is possible that we would even have to go out and hire someone.

There is space for this sort of thing. The sport is populated by zombie fans, but there are guys (and gals) who really do understand the sport, and who are martial artists, they just turn away. We could be a voice for these sort of people, as well as for the true fans.

Like I said, this is just a discussion thread. The fact though that their is such a shortage of legitimate media in MMA is enough to make this a realistic idea. Most "MMA writers" are just people who see an opportunity to basically shill for Zuffa and get published on a trendy website.

Oh, and we also have Eddie Goldman, who is the best combat sports journalist outside of boxing (boxing has some good guys--Eddie is on equal par with such guys).
KSW
KSW

Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:49 am
Easiest way would be to do a wordpress but I don´t know if it looks professional. Maybe we could use it as a start?

Ironforgesiron is a wordpress and it looks alright http://ironforgesiron.com/

Wolfman
Wolfman

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:05 pm
Funny thing is i pm'd both Dag and Johan about it yesterday. I fully suport the idea.
KSW
KSW

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:17 pm
Wolfman wrote:Funny thing is i pm'd both Dag and Johan about it yesterday. I fully suport the idea.
What do you think about a wordpress? You should try making one and link to the forum just to see what it looks like https://en.wordpress.com/signup/ It´s free
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sun May 06, 2012 12:13 pm
I had an odd idea a couple days ago while reading through the following complete abomination.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1166221-power-ranking-the-top-50-fighters-in-mma-today

It seems like bleacherreport is actually intended as a sports website, although they do an utterly terrible job. Well, if a mythical website was ever a reality, what if we focused on alternative sports (especially MMA of course, but potentially including others, combat sports especially of course, but even things like Strongman, and auto sports--i.e. WRC and F-1, etc. etc.)

Just some thoughts. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who enjoys some of the more non-mainstream sports (although many sports are mainstream in various parts of the world, there's an inherent American bias in my posting, it's simply the country I know best).
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sun May 06, 2012 12:16 pm
And anything and everything else, of course. Driven by people's own interests. For example, I can write about sumo, and post WRC youtube clips and stuff Wink

Anyway, this is just for discussion's sake needless to say.
Wolfman
Wolfman

Sun May 06, 2012 12:24 pm
^

It would be great to cover all combat sports, including sumo that i'd vote for you to take charge of it. It would be make different sections to people look for articles and news on their fav sports, instead of forcing everything. It would definately be the most complete website out there.

I really believe it's time to take the next step and create a website. Unfortunately i don't know nothing about creating one.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sun May 06, 2012 12:57 pm
Johan Lofgren wrote:
Wolfman wrote:Funny thing is i pm'd both Dag and Johan about it yesterday. I fully suport the idea.
What do you think about a wordpress? You should try making one and link to the forum just to see what it looks like https://en.wordpress.com/signup/ It´s free

I might try to play around with wordpress in the coming days. Just to see what it is like.
KSW
KSW

Sun May 06, 2012 3:47 pm
nodogoshi wrote:I had an odd idea a couple days ago while reading through the following complete abomination.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1166221-power-ranking-the-top-50-fighters-in-mma-today

It seems like bleacherreport is actually intended as a sports website, although they do an utterly terrible job. Well, if a mythical website was ever a reality, what if we focused on alternative sports (especially MMA of course, but potentially including others, combat sports especially of course, but even things like Strongman, and auto sports--i.e. WRC and F-1, etc. etc.)

Just some thoughts. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who enjoys some of the more non-mainstream sports (although many sports are mainstream in various parts of the world, there's an inherent American bias in my posting, it's simply the country I know best).
Very interesting idea.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum