GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sage Northcut vs Shinya Aoki set for ONE on TNT IV on 4/28 Empty Sage Northcut vs Shinya Aoki set for ONE on TNT IV on 4/28

Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:28 pm
I've periodically checked for news on Sage Northcutt, and this announcement is just out.

Well, a part of me wishes he was facing someone else. I like Northcutt quite a lot, but don't know that I can back an Aoki opponent. It is a good matchup though, and classic striker vs grappler. Northcutt should have a pretty good shot in this fight. I think I am leaning toward Northcutt slightly, but I'm not really sure. Aoki is of course the kind of fighter that more often than not if he gets a hold of you, either you tap or he breaks something. On the feet, Northcutt should have a pretty good advantage, but whether he can keep Aoki off of him is yet to be seen.

Sage Northcutt to face Shinya Aoki in first fight since '19 Feb 24, 2021      

Former MMA super prospect Sage Northcutt is returning to action in April.  Northcutt will face Shinya Aoki on April 28 at ONE on TNT IV, ONE officials told ESPN. Northcutt also confirmed the news on Ariel Helwani's MMA Show. The fight will be contested in the promotion's lightweight division, which is 170 pounds.  Northcutt, 24, (11-3) hasn't fought since May 2019, when he lost his ONE debut to Cosmo Alexandre in a 185-pound fight. Northcutt lost that fight via knockout in just 29 seconds and suffered eight facial fractures as a result. The fight was his first after leaving the UFC via free agency and snapped his three-fight winning streak.  Northcutt started his career a perfect 7-0. Before his first pro loss in January 2016, he was considered one of the brightest young stars in MMA. He would go on to lose two of his next three fights, but then got back on track with three straight wins before leaving the UFC to sign with ONE in late 2018.  Aoki, 37, (46-9, 1 NC) was considered one of the best fighters in the world when he was in his prime. He is on a three-fight winning streak and has won seven of his last eight fights. The Japanese-born Aoki is a former ONE, DREAM and Shooto champion.  The event will mark the finale of a four-week stretch in April that will see the promotion air live on TNT every Wednesday. Each televised card will feature three live fights."
https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/30956385/sage-northcutt-face-shinya-aoki-first-fight-19
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sage Northcut vs Shinya Aoki set for ONE on TNT IV on 4/28 Empty Re: Sage Northcut vs Shinya Aoki set for ONE on TNT IV on 4/28

Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:47 am
Any predictions on this fight?
westcott123
westcott123

Sage Northcut vs Shinya Aoki set for ONE on TNT IV on 4/28 Empty Re: Sage Northcut vs Shinya Aoki set for ONE on TNT IV on 4/28

Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:06 pm
Stating the obvious aoki via submission sage via knock out i think it will boil down to who has the better game plan
I'm kinda leaning towards sage especially if he can keep it standing .
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:16 pm
westcott123 wrote:Stating the obvious  aoki via submission sage via knock out i think it will boil down to who has the better game plan
I'm kinda leaning towards sage especially if he can keep it standing .
I would think Northcutt is probably the favorite going in to it. The days of grappling>striking are a thing of the past. But, Aoki has worlds of experience, and he will probably be the best fighter Northcutt has faced. And Northcutt is also coming back from an injury, surgery, layoff. I definitely want Aoki to win. And I think the fight is fairly even. And I'm just giving my opinions, of course.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum