GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Video: History Of MMA – Bas Rutten – 10 Minute Extended Trailer Empty Video: History Of MMA – Bas Rutten – 10 Minute Extended Trailer

Thu May 03, 2012 5:57 pm
Check out the young Bas pics. Laughing

PRIDE NEVER DIE
PRIDE NEVER DIE

Video: History Of MMA – Bas Rutten – 10 Minute Extended Trailer Empty Re: Video: History Of MMA – Bas Rutten – 10 Minute Extended Trailer

Thu May 03, 2012 8:15 pm
kool vid, lol bas's hair.
RussianTopTeam
RussianTopTeam

Video: History Of MMA – Bas Rutten – 10 Minute Extended Trailer Empty Re: Video: History Of MMA – Bas Rutten – 10 Minute Extended Trailer

Thu May 03, 2012 8:32 pm
this looks really good, where can we see the rest?
Wolfman
Wolfman

Thu May 03, 2012 9:08 pm
Awesome video. Bas is a great guy and i really enjoy watching his interviews. Looking forward for the rest of the doc.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Thu May 03, 2012 11:17 pm
Wolfman wrote:Awesome video. Bas is a great guy and i really enjoy watching his interviews. Looking forward for the rest of the doc.

I agree. That was a great interview and Bas is awesome.

RussianTopTeam
RussianTopTeam

Thu May 03, 2012 11:45 pm
I wonder if Bas still thinks Ubereem is #1 clown
marchegiano
marchegiano

Thu May 03, 2012 11:47 pm
I still think Uberreem is number 1.

I can't find any info on the full doc. Can anyone hook me up with a link?
Fisticuffa
Fisticuffa

Thu May 03, 2012 11:52 pm
Most MMA documentaries start with UFC 1 (a Gracie marketing scheme) or Bruce Lee which IMO does not do full justice to the Vale Tudo days in Brazil and more importantly to the Pankration days.

Here is an example of what I am talking about:
So there’s no confusion, the title goes like this:

Onomastos 688-676 BC
Diappos of Kroton 672 BC
Komaios 652 BC
Pythagoras 588 BC
Tisandros 572-560 BC
Praxidamas 544 BC
Glaucos 520 BC
Philon 500-496 BC
Ikkos 492 BC
Diognetos 488 BC
Euthymos 484 BC
Theagenes of Thasos 480 BC
Euthymos 476 BC
Euthymos 472 BC
Menalkes 468 BC
Diagoras 464 BC
Akousilous 448 BC
Alkainetos 444 BC
Kleomachos 440 BC
Eukles 404 BC
Demarchos 400 BC
Phormion 392 BC
Damoxenidas 384 BC
Labax 376 BC
Aristion 368 BC
Philammon 360 BC (Sponsored by Aristotle)
Asamon 340 BC
Mys 336 BC
Satyros 332 BC
Satyros 328 BC
Archippos 300 BC
Kallippos 296 BC
Kleitomachus 216 BC
Epitherses 184 BC
Xenothemius 144 BC
Agesarchos 120 BC
Atyanas 72 BC
Thaliarchos 32 BC
Nikophon 8
Demokrates 25-33
Melankomas of Caria 49
Herakliedes 93
Marcus Tullius 141-145
Photion 173
James Figg 1719
Tom Pipes 1730
George Taylor 1735
Jack Broughton 1738
Jack Slack 1750
William Stevens 1760
George Meggs 1761
George Millsom 1762
Tom Juchau 1765
William Darts 1766
Tom Lyons 1769
Peter Corcoran 1771
Harry Sellers 1776
Duggan Fearns 1780
Tom Johnson 1784
Big Benjamin Brain 1791
Daniel Mendoza 1794
Gentleman John Jackson 1795
Thomas Owen 1796
Jack Bartholomew 1797
Jem Belcher 1800
Hen Pearce 1803
John Gully 1807
Tom Cribb 1809
Tom Spring 1823
Tom Cannon 1824
Jem Ward 1825
Peter Crawley 1827
Jem Ward 1828
James Deaf Burke 1833
William Bendigo Thompson 1839
Ben Caunt 1840
Nick Ward 1841
Ben Caunt 1841
William Bendigo Thompson 1845
William Perry 1850
Harry Broome 1851
Tom Paddock 1856
Tom Sayers 1858
Sam Hurst 1860
Jem Mace 1861
Tom King 1862
Jem Mace 1866
Tom Allen 1873
Joe Goss 1876
Paddy Ryan 1880
John L. Sullivan 1885
James J. Corbett 1892
Bob Fitzimmons 1897
Jim Jeffries 1899
Marvin Hart 1905
Tommy Burns 1906
Jack Johnson 1908
Jess Willard 1915
Jack Dempsey 1919
Gene Tunney 1926
Max Schmelling 1930
Jack Sharkey 1932
Primo Carnera 1933
Max Baer 1934
Jim Braddock 1935
Joe Louis 1937
Ezzard Charles 1949
Jersey Joe Walcott 1951
Rocky Marciano 1952
Floyd Patterson 1956
Ingamar Johannson 1959
Floyd Patterson 1960
Charles Sonny Liston 1962
Muhammad Ali 1964
Joe Frazier 1970
George Foreman 1973
Muhammad Ali 1974
Leon Spinks 1978
Muhammad Ali 1978
Larry Holmes 1979
Michael Spinks 1985
Mike Tyson 1988
James Buster Douglas 1990
Evander Holyfield 1990
Riddick Bowe 1992
Evender Holyfield 1993
Michael Moorer 1994
George Foreman 1994
Shannon Briggs 1997
Lennox Lewis 1998
Hasim Rahman 2001
Lennox Lewis 2001

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f53/how-many-more-fights-does-vitali-need-win-considered-all-time-great-1113331/index8.html
Someone needs to put in the effort and do the same for MMA.

Fisticuffa
Fisticuffa

Thu May 03, 2012 11:53 pm
I’ve posted many times before, here, and on several other sites under various names about a Hall of Fame.
Zuffa should sponsor it, and it should be a nice, picture and text laden link on the official UFC/Pride FC website.

That would tangibly enshrine the great ones, and would demonstrate a lasting respect for the men who bleed, and move the promotion beyond it’s mainstream reputation of “purveyors of human **** fighting” who most sportswriters see as selling the promotion and the show and treating the fighters themselves as nothing more than interchangeable products of the company, rather than sports stars in their own right.

As a true, genuine, well studied expert and fan of the sport, this holds great importance to me.
As a mainstream sportswriter, it would raise the esteem of both the sport and the Company a tremendous lot in my eyes.

One comment I’ll repeat is that a “UFC” HOF is fairly meaningless, in that the UFC is just a trademark company, not a sport.
MMA is the sport, and any HOF has to tap beyond one promotional company’s boarders in order to have any meaning at all.

Those who I would also consider right off the bat as HOF fighters include (but is not limited to) Fedor Emelianenko, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Mirko Filipovic, Chuck Liddell, Kazushi Sakuraba, Josh Barnett, Bas Rutten, Matt Hughes, B.J. Penn, Frank Shamrock, Wanderlei Silva, Igor Vovchanchyn, Mark Kerr, Maurice Smith, Quinton Jackson, Tim Sylvia, Vitor Belfort, Rickson Gracie, Mark Hunt, Takanori Gomi, Andrei Arlovski, Marco Ruas, and perhaps even Murilo Bustamante.

Now that both of the “Major League” promotional organizations are under a single umbrella of ownership, a giant step toward uniformity within the fledgling sport of Mixed Martial Arts has been completed.

We as fans should be licking our chops in anticipation of a unified world champion in each weight division.

One aspect to result from this unification has not been discussed very much, and that is in regards to the sport’s documented history, and specifically, the Hall-Of-Fame.

In virtually every sport the athletes who’s exploits have served to elevate the sport and the quality of play have been so honored, and in MMA it should be no different.

The recent absorption of Pride FC by the owners of UFC has a profound effect on the concept of a HOF because through the services of Zuffa, the hall of fame created there may now absorb not only Pride’s current roster of fighters, but it’s entire history as well, which opens the door for an all-inclusive (and true) shrine to the greatest fighters in MMA’s 14 year history.

To be fair, Hall candidates would be qualified from the rosters of IVC, RINGS, WFA, Pancrase, KOTC, Rumble on the Rock, Icon Sport, Elite XC, EFC, WEC, MFC, ZST, DEEP, Cage Rage, Cage Warriors, FFC, IFL, TKO, Strikeforce, WWCN, Cage Fury, BodogFight or any of the 200 some-odd promotional organizations, but for the most part the crème of MMA history has risen to the top, i.e., the two biggest promotions.

My second comment relates to pre-history.

MMA "scholars" (for lack of a better term......LOL) are cheating the sport BIG TIME if they don't acknowledge the fact that it goes way, way back before UFC I.
It goes back through the histories of the ancient Greek Olympiad, the entire histories of Boxing, Folk Wrestling and the Eastern Martial Arts, running through each like a thread.

Though this might be just a little too “academic” for Sherdog/MMA newbes, I feel that in order to demonstrate what is in fact a lengthy history of the sport (especially to those who still believe that it’s just a passing youth fad), a pioneer’s category might be considered to honor those who’s exploits pre-date UFC I, but who’s contributions served nonetheless to lay the groundwork for the sport we know today.

Candidates within that category should include fighters and stylists who were intrepid enough to step outside the safe confines of their familiar art or rules set for competition, and combine the striking and grappling worlds, and that category would pay homage to the pioneering likes of Antonio Inoki, Nan Padoubny, Rickson Gracie, Huo Yuan-jia, Ad Santel, Katsukuma Higashi, Ernest Roeber, Judo Gene LeBell, Bob Fitzimmons, George Hackenschmidt, Yukio Tani, Guy de Montgrilhard, Packy O’Gaty, Joe Stecher, Setsuzo Ota, Farmer Burns, Gentleman John Jackson, George Dubois, Taro Miyake, Jack Taylor, Yang Hantalay, George Bothner, Saensak Muangsurin, Wildcat McCann, Owen Swift, LaMar Clark, Prapai Sitchumpon, Leopold McLaglen, Helio Gracie, Rolls Gracie, Mike Quarry, Vernon Breedlove, Jim Jeffries, Christian Guillaume, Professor William Miller, Termite Watkins, Lou Thesz, Karl Pojello, Ray Steele, Yasugi Fujito, Akrum Pelwan, Emil Klank, Jean Petit, Tom Cannon, John L. Sullivan, Tom Spring, Charles Lecour, Katsukuma Higashi, Jim Barber, Mitsuo Maeda, Carlos Gracie, Georges Carpentier, Bill Morris, Charles Charlemont, Jack “Nonpareil” Dempsey, Andre Sproul, Sam McVey, Toots Mondt, Primo Carnera, Luis Galtieri, Akira Maeda, Eddie O’Day, Wladek Zbyszko, Eddie Robinson, Tom Lurich, Bert Assirati, Kenny Jay, William Muldoon, Muhammad Ali, Eddie O’Connell, Frank Gotch, Jem Mace, Masami Soronaka, George Kotsonaros, Paul Berlenbach, Dr. Benjeman Roller, Anoalo Atisanoe,Tano Mutsuda, Archie Moore, Jim Arvanitis, Jon Blumming, Yoshiaki Fujiwara, Chris Dolman, Bill Longson, Pat McGill, Steve Trojack, Wilheim Ruska, LeRoy Gibson, Adema Santa, Tokugoro Ito, Hitoshi Shimizu, Ed Strangler Lewis, Benny Ginsberg, Rei Zulu, Chota Chochoshvili, Marvin Mercer, Satoru Sayama, Karl Gotch, Al Massey, Bart Vale, Ivan Gomes, Masahiko Kimura, Satoru Sayama, Patrick Teugels, Gokor Chivichyan, Dr. Ron Tripp, Fabio Gurgel, Yosuichi Ono, Masakatsu Funaki and Shosha Yokoyama, to name just a few.

And of course, those from the ancient world who did what in effect, was MMA not too much unlike what we see today, such as Euthymos, Damagetos, Theagenes of Thasos, Diagoras of Rhodes, Milo of Croton, Onomastos of Smyrna, Komaios of Megara, Diappos, Doreous, Tisandros, Philon, Philammon, Xenothemius and Labax.

These men and others like them not only created the model for fights mixing traditional styles but also broke down the wall that separates the striking disciplines such as Boxing/Karate/Muay Thai/Savate, etc. from grappling arts like Freestyle, Greco-Roman, Folk Wrestling/Aikido/Jujitsu/Sambo/Judo, etc., by fighting in mixed matches, no-hlods-barred matches or switching from one to another, and it is to these individuals to which today’s Mixed Martial Arts actually owes it’s birth.

Who in modern MMA is worthy for the Hall of Fame ?

Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn and Randy Couture are already enshrined.
But that is just the beginning.

Sherdog readers represent the hardcore fan base, so here is a quickly thrown together sample ballot……….What 10 fighters listed are the most worthy in our opinions, as fans ?

Fedor Emelianenko
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Mirko Filipovic
Chuck Liddell
Kazushi Sakuraba
Mark Coleman
Josh Barnett
Bas Rutten
Matt Hughes
B.J. Penn
Frank Shamrock
Wanderlei Silva
Igor Vovchanchyn
Mark Kerr
Maurice Smith
Quinton Jackson
Tim Sylvia
Vitor Belfort
Rickson Gracie
Mark Hunt
Takanori Gomi
Andrei Arlovski
Marco Ruas
Febricio Werdum
Remco Pardoul
Murilo Bustamante
Dan Henderson
Oleg Taktarov
Vladimir Matyushenko
Matt Lindland
Matt Serra
Igor Zinoviev
Paulo Filho
Masakatsu Funaki
Mario Sperry
Tom Erikson
Pat Miletech
Erik Paulson
Denis Kang
Enson Inoue
Hayato Sakurai
Heath Herring
Robbie Lawler
Gary Goodridge
Mauricio Rua
Mark Schultz
Don Frye
Nathan Marquardt
Steve Jennum
Renzo Gracie
Ralph Gracie
Kazuyuki Fujita
Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou
Frank Trigg
Ricardo Arona
Tito Ortiz
Travis Wiuff
Dave Menne
Guy Mezger
Frank Mir
Josh Koscheck
Gilbert Melendez
Jens Pulver
Carlos Newton
Nick Diaz
Sean Sherk
Anderson Silva
Evan Tanner
Tsuyoshi Kohsaka
Karo Parisyan
Pedro Rizzo
Ian Freeman
Yuki Kondo
Pete Williams
Rich Franklin
Minoru Suzuki
Jose Landi-Jons
Mikhail Illoukhine
Diego Sanchez
Volk Han
Geroges St. Pierre
Tatsuya Kawajiri
David L. “Tank” Abbott
Ricco Rodriguez
Carlao Barreto
Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto
Hugo Duarte
Kevin Jackson
Allen Goes
Matt Hume
John Lober
Wallid Ismail
John Lewis

And of course, you could add anyone whom I’ve inadvertently left out, and there are some !

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f8/ufc-hall-fame-382021/index7.html
Fisticuffa
Fisticuffa

Thu May 03, 2012 11:58 pm
Here is an interesting thread about an MMA pioneer (Euclides Pereira) that few know about:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f61/ever-heard-guy-undefeated-valetudo-1278055/

The Brazilian members here may know more.

Fisticuffa
Fisticuffa

Fri May 04, 2012 12:03 am

Awesome vintage Vale Tudo match between the legendary master Carlson Gracie and Waldemar Santana.
Fisticuffa
Fisticuffa

Fri May 04, 2012 12:10 am
Wolfman
Wolfman

Fri May 04, 2012 12:13 am
^

Euclices Pereira was a beast. He was combining styles and did everything well. There's even some articles in english about him. Unfortunately most of the material in portuguese is long. Right now i don't have enough time to translate stuff too, but i thought about creating a thread about him already. We'll see.

An MMA HOF would be very interesting. They have so many names to pick already. Unfortunately most fans of the sport know much about it's history and seem to not even care, but such an event could educate people on it.

Kid McCOy did a great and rich comment there, as always. i wish the guy could come here someday.

Have to go now, thanks for always bringing the interesting stuff.
KSW
KSW

Fri May 04, 2012 12:25 am
Great stuff Fisticuffa, you should be in charge of the mma history and HOF.
KSW
KSW

Fri May 04, 2012 12:27 am
Bas always cracks me up. I wish he was commentating for M-1, maybe I´ll contact Vadim or Kogan about hiring Bas.
IQ Wrestler
IQ Wrestler

Sat May 05, 2012 7:02 am
I hope this covers Pancrase, Shooto & the pro wrestling roots
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum