GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strikeforce GP Champ

+7
Longtime Fan
Dagwood
Inspectah Deck
wekka
CDF47
RussianTopTeam
Kinosis
11 posters
Go down
Kinosis
Kinosis

Strikeforce GP Champ Empty Strikeforce GP Champ

Sun May 20, 2012 12:46 am
Daniel Cormier looked pretty good. I think he has a good shot at beating JDS. Barnett is a warrior as always and unfortunately seems to always get #2 in tournaments. Both were respectful and Cormier seems like a class act, good to see that in MMA.
RussianTopTeam
RussianTopTeam

Strikeforce GP Champ Empty Re: Strikeforce GP Champ

Sun May 20, 2012 12:51 am
Congrats to Cormier on winning. I, like everyone else counted him out but Cormier was superior in every category tonight. Well deserved win.

R.I.P Strikeforce all good things must come to an end.

CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun May 20, 2012 1:16 am
Cormier was excellent. Beating Barnett shows he is one of the best HWs in the world. He should be fighting the winner of JDS/Mir next.
wekka
wekka

Sun May 20, 2012 1:19 am
I knew Cormier had it a few weeks ago when I gave the match more thought.

Very hungry fighter, very well-rounded. Especially considering how relatively new he is to the sport.

You can say he needs to work on submissions, but with his crisp striking, world-class wrestling, and good ground and pound along with submission defense that gets the job done, he's really rounded himself out to be a total package already.

Top three heavyweight, hands down.
Inspectah Deck
Inspectah Deck

Sun May 20, 2012 1:42 am
Great fight. Cormier was a bad style matchup for Josh, but I'd like to see them both against the the so-called best in the world.
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Sun May 20, 2012 3:01 am
Afro-American Fedor I'm sure made Russo-Ukrainian Fedor proud tonight. His striking looked good. Still think he's not as big a power-puncher as he's being made out to be.

Strikeforce GP Champ 852107159

Barnett was doing decent in rd 1 and maybe 2 striking. Looks like he fought the hole fight with a badly busted hand. Not taken too much away from Cormier but that was a bit of a handicap for Josh for 5 rounds.

wekka
wekka

Sun May 20, 2012 4:13 am
I don't really think anyone is truly making Cormier as a fighter with one punch knockout power.

It's not like Bigfoot has the greatest chin.
Longtime Fan
Longtime Fan

Sun May 20, 2012 4:18 am
Barnett versus Cormier is what Fedor versus Barnett would've looked like if it ever happened.
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Sun May 20, 2012 4:42 am
Longtime Fan wrote:Barnett versus Cormier is what Fedor versus Barnett would've looked like if it ever happened.

The result maybe yes. I think Barnett would have looked a lot worse for where and finished. Maybe not Ko'd... but by tapping or by blood supply constriction to the brain 8)

KSW
KSW

Sun May 20, 2012 5:11 am
Damn Cormier is fast. Most of us old Strikeforce fans knew he had huge potential even when the zombies said the SF hw division was shit.
Frank Hill
Frank Hill

Sun May 20, 2012 10:16 am
Yeah Cormier is legit, he is going to be the UFC champ one day I wager. Barnett fought well I think. His top game is second to none but he just couldn't get the fight to the ground. The warmaster is still top skillwise at HW imo.
KSW
KSW

Sun May 20, 2012 10:21 am
Too bad he´s 33 years old already but good wrestlers tend to have a long career in mma.
Frank Hill
Frank Hill

Sun May 20, 2012 10:28 am
Cormier is a high level wrestler andhe picked up a decent striking game very quickly. Josh landed some good shots and Cormier's inexperience showed more than once, but other than that it was an almost flawless performance. Hopefully he can fight another 5 years at least, he has already accomplished as much as Cain imo.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun May 20, 2012 10:55 am
Cormier vs. JDS or REEM would be sweet fights. Also, Cormier vs. Cain would be sweet but they are training partners so it would have to be for a title if they were going to fight. I would prob. take Cormier over Cain but I would pick JDS and REEM to beat Cormier. Would be great to see though.
Frank Hill
Frank Hill

Sun May 20, 2012 11:00 am
I wonder if Cormier would consider cutting to LHW. I seem to recall him mentioning he would rather drop to LHW than fight Cain, but I also remember his kidney problems which he said prevented him from cutting weight. If he can throw Barnett around and stuff Bigfoot at HW he would be ragdolling guys at LHW. Probably won't happen but it would be quite a sight.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun May 20, 2012 11:34 am
Frank Hill wrote:I wonder if Cormier would consider cutting to LHW. I seem to recall him mentioning he would rather drop to LHW than fight Cain, but I also remember his kidney problems which he said prevented him from cutting weight. If he can throw Barnett around and stuff Bigfoot at HW he would be ragdolling guys at LHW. Probably won't happen but it would be quite a sight.

I heard it mentioned in the past but he weighs 240 lbs so he is a decent sized HW. I think he will stay at HW.
Sodak
Sodak

Sun May 20, 2012 2:38 pm
Anyone else unimpressed with the way he handled that last round? I wanted to dislike Cormier because he trains AKA with guys like koscheck, but I can't, hes cool as hell in all his interviews, and is a damn good fighter. I don't like it though when guys stall and he was literally running away for the last few seconds of the fight. Its smart but it takes away from the fight and the fighter in my opinion, I blame Zuffa more than Cormier though with the environment of fear they've created where all that matters is winning and a loss can seriously hurt your stock and income specially for an up and comer like daniel. Still weak sauce.
KSW
KSW

Sun May 20, 2012 3:31 pm
Sodak wrote:Anyone else unimpressed with the way he handled that last round? I wanted to dislike Cormier because he trains AKA with guys like koscheck, but I can't, hes cool as hell in all his interviews, and is a damn good fighter. I don't like it though when guys stall and he was literally running away for the last few seconds of the fight. Its smart but it takes away from the fight and the fighter in my opinion, I blame Zuffa more than Cormier though with the environment of fear they've created where all that matters is winning and a loss can seriously hurt your stock and income specially for an up and comer like daniel. Still weak sauce.
Running like that is just wrong even for a short period of time.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun May 20, 2012 3:58 pm
Sodak wrote:Anyone else unimpressed with the way he handled that last round? I wanted to dislike Cormier because he trains AKA with guys like koscheck, but I can't, hes cool as hell in all his interviews, and is a damn good fighter. I don't like it though when guys stall and he was literally running away for the last few seconds of the fight. Its smart but it takes away from the fight and the fighter in my opinion, I blame Zuffa more than Cormier though with the environment of fear they've created where all that matters is winning and a loss can seriously hurt your stock and income specially for an up and comer like daniel. Still weak sauce.

I agree. There is no place for that in MMA. It is actually against the rules (the Timidity rule). He should have been deducted a point for that if the rule was actually enforced but it wouldn't have made a difference since he had a huge lead in the fight.
Wolfman
Wolfman

Sun May 20, 2012 4:08 pm
Cormier is the real new breed. The others are just not even close.
Kinosis
Kinosis

Sun May 20, 2012 4:25 pm
Johan Lofgren wrote:
Running like that is just wrong even for a short period of time.

I didn't like him stalling out the last 1.5 minutes or whatever it was or him constantly rubbing his fingers in Barnett's face when in guard. The ref should have done something about that but most of them suck. Overall though he seems like a nice guy and is respectful.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum