GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
wekka
wekka

How would you rate Martinez/Chavez Jr? Empty How would you rate Martinez/Chavez Jr?

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:45 am
Post your thoughts here.

Even before the dramatic 12th, the fight lived up to every expectation I had coming into tonight. I don't know whether I would deem it a classic right yet and really, repeat viewings decide that imo, but it was definitely a great fight and quite possibly the best i've seen all year.

Considering the scorecards were lopsided, JCC Jr. never seemed truly out of it. The problem didn't lie with him (although he could've afforded to turn up the heat a little earlier, I really can't hold that against him), the problem was Sergio Martinez fought a borderline perfect fight and if it weren't for that knockdown, I could have easily said Sergio did indeed fight a perfect fight. JCC Jr. fought wonderfully and landed many solid shots to the head and body but Sergio just took that and multiplied it by thrice. The speed, the power, precision was just too much in what was unarguably Chavez's biggest fight to date. Simply put, both boxers fought beautiful fights, Martinez just fought a little more beautifully.

I have grown to respect Chavez, Jr. over the years but after tonight, he completely won me over. Tremendous heart, never say die attitude, and the skills to eventually become a legend of his own. Without a doubt, he has cemented himself as an elite boxer.
Michał
Michał

How would you rate Martinez/Chavez Jr? Empty Re: How would you rate Martinez/Chavez Jr?

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:50 am
Chavez looked like a CW, Martinez took him too school. Chavez took his beating like a man and gave it his all. Almost finishing Sergio
Adax

How would you rate Martinez/Chavez Jr? Empty Re: How would you rate Martinez/Chavez Jr?

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:33 am
Martinez swept that fight all the way until that 12th round. I think it was exciting enough to merit the rematch but it was no round of the year for me. I wasn't too impressed with Chavez Jr. personally, hardly any in fight adjustments. I enjoyed seeing the bigger weight cutter get completely out classed by the smaller more naturally sized fighter but Chavez Jr. ate everything Martinez threw at him so I give Chavez Jr. some props. The rematch should be interesting.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:35 am
I think a rematch is a waste of time and bad for Chavez' health.

Chavez should go to super middleweight. His god father Jose Sulaiman (he literally is), head of the WBC, would probably strip Andre Ward of the WBC belt and set up JCC for another "title shot" at the "vacant" belt, like he did to Martinez. Chavez could then be a "2 division champion".

By the way, he has already hinted at stripping Ward. The WBC decided that you can't hold their belt and another belt at the same time anymore.
Wolfman
Wolfman

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:29 pm
Great performance by Martinez. Simply went for it in every round. Kept punching and moving non stop the whole fight and even when he got knockdown he never backed up, instead he kept fighting, showing big heart and big balls. It was great to watch.

Chavez got waaay behind in the scorecards and as Roach said the speed was too much. He landed solid shots but took too long to react. What he did in round 12 he should have done at least 3 rounds earlier imo. At least he never gave up.

This month had very exciting fights. I can't stop but LMAO here remembering Joe Rogan saying boxing was dead and being swallowed by a "much spetacular sport".
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:15 pm
An easy outclassing by a much superior fighter. Sure, the 12th round was insane - I scored it 10-7 - but Martinez won clearly 118-109 or 117-109.

A rematch would do nothing for either guy, except get Martinez another PPV and a payday. However, with Arum's talk of doing the fight at Cowboys Stadiums, I say fuck the rematch. Martinez should stay as far away as he can from the state of Texas, with its piss-poor, corrupt, vacuous commission.

If boxing wasn't so full of shit, Golovkin would fight Martinez, and Macklin-JCC Jr would go down as a potential eliminator fight. Maybe Geale and Pirog could duke it out, or Geale could take on the winner of N'Dam N'Jikam and Kid Chocolate. However, the likely scenario is that we see Martinez-Jr rematch, and Golovkin maybe fight Geale on a BAD or something. Maybe.
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:28 pm
nodogoshi wrote:I think a rematch is a waste of time and bad for Chavez' health.

Chavez should go to super middleweight. His god father Jose Sulaiman (he literally is), head of the WBC, would probably strip Andre Ward of the WBC belt and set up JCC for another "title shot" at the "vacant" belt, like he did to Martinez. Chavez could then be a "2 division champion".

By the way, he has already hinted at stripping Ward. The WBC decided that you can't hold their belt and another belt at the same time anymore.

Sulaiman stripping Ward wouldn't be surprising at all, but he'd have an option, either way. The WBC has recently went on record and said that they will now "only accept the WBC," as you said, a decision which has lead to terminated fight negotiations - Canelo-Trout - and WBC champions being forced to vacate their belts, or being stripped of them - Ioka is the most notable example, and I think Nishioka lost his strap for the same reason (although the "diamond belt", the WBC's laughable equivalent to the WBA's "super" title is on the line against Donaire).

They couldn't outright strip Ward. He could always drop the belt in favour of the WBC title, but knowing Sulaiman, Ward would probably be looking at superfights - Dawson rematch, maybe a rematch with Froch, Kessler, maybe a fight with Bute or Dirrell - and Sulaiman would demand that he fight some unknown or unheralded mandatory challenger, and Ward would reject it (HBO probably wouldn't even put it on), therefore losing his belt. Then the vacant belt would be up for grabs for Chavez against this nobody, and HBO would allow it to be on television because Chavez is involved.

Such is boxing. It could be Martinez-Zbik-Chavez situation all over again. No
bolsheet

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:15 pm
I don't see Chavez winning a rematch, he was outclassed almost the entire fight and his weight and strength wasn't a big factor at all, he does have a lot of hart and i like that but he is part of the worst thing that exist on boxing so i aways hope he loses bad. Sulaiman is killing the WBC and WBA became a joke also, so i only care about the Ring Magazine Champion and Lineal Championship. For Martinez the rematch is a great thing, he will get a bigger payday and he will be at 38, i don't belive he will get the Mayweather fight and DiBella says that he will be away from Ward (if i was him, no way i take this fight) and the 168 fighters plus we won't get other a big draw to fight at 160 and others contenders like Golovkin is too dangerous for a Martinez (who is slowing down).
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:31 pm
Sweet Pea Is My Mom wrote:
nodogoshi wrote:I think a rematch is a waste of time and bad for Chavez' health.

Sulaiman stripping Ward wouldn't be surprising at all, but he'd have an option, either way. The WBC has recently went on record and said that they will now "only accept the WBC," as you said, a decision which has lead to terminated fight negotiations - Canelo-Trout - and WBC champions being forced to vacate their belts, or being stripped of them - Ioka is the most notable example, and I think Nishioka lost his strap for the same reason (although the "diamond belt", the WBC's laughable equivalent to the WBA's "super" title is on the line against Donaire).

They couldn't outright strip Ward. He could always drop the belt in favour of the WBC title, but knowing Sulaiman, Ward would probably be looking at superfights - Dawson rematch, maybe a rematch with Froch, Kessler, maybe a fight with Bute or Dirrell - and Sulaiman would demand that he fight some unknown or unheralded mandatory challenger, and Ward would reject it (HBO probably wouldn't even put it on), therefore losing his belt. Then the vacant belt would be up for grabs for Chavez against this nobody, and HBO would allow it to be on television because Chavez is involved.

Actually, based on the WBC's new policy, Sulaiman could simply give Ward the ultimatum of either you dump the WBA title or you get stripped. I wasn't talking about mandatories.

Sulaiman recently said that Danny Garcia must "decide between the WBA and WBC belts" (http://www.boxingscene.com/sulaiman-danny-garcia-better-decide-between-wbc-wba--56934) . He has also already hinted the same with Ward, saying they'll "review the situation at their next meeting", or something like that.

Just more bullshit of course from what has become the ugliest of the sanctioning bodies in recent times.
bolsheet

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:52 pm
nodogoshi wrote:
Actually, based on the WBC's new policy, Sulaiman could simply give Ward the ultimatum of either you dump the WBA title or you get stripped. I wasn't talking about mandatories.

Sulaiman recently said that Danny Garcia must "decide between the WBA and WBC belts" (http://www.boxingscene.com/sulaiman-danny-garcia-better-decide-between-wbc-wba--56934) . He has also already hinted the same with Ward, saying they'll "review the situation at their next meeting", or something like that.

Just more bullshit of course from what has become the ugliest of the sanctioning bodies in recent times.

Ward being the "Super Champion" and not the regular champion changes anything? Danny Garcia is "Super Champion" too i belive WBA will look to have another "regular champion" at 140 also so they are pretty much on the same position. The WBA "Super Championship" was supose to avoid this kind of problems.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:07 pm
bolsheet wrote:
nodogoshi wrote:

Ward being the "Super Champion" and not the regular champion changes anything? Danny Garcia is "Super Champion" too i belive WBA will look to have another "regular champion" at 140 also so they are pretty much on the same position. The WBA "Super Championship" was supose to avoid this kind of problems.

I don't think it has anything to do with that. It's all about the WBC not allowing unified champions. It's probably just a ploy to allow them to have more "title" fights and maximize sanctioning fees, with some other secondary aspects as well.

Or else, they want to be the only belt perhaps?

Who knows. The WBC is full of shit. Sulaiman issued a release that he was pissed off that NSAC didn't consult with the WBC before appointing the officials for Martinez-Chavez. Sulaiman is literally Chavez' god father.
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:13 pm
nodogoshi wrote:

No, I know what you're talking about, I just said he had a choice. If Ward did so choose to keep the WBC belt and drop the WBA (he will have to make a choice, as you said), the WBC could still fuck him over and strip him with the mandatory situation I outlined.
bolsheet

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:20 pm
Here are the official rankings, No WBC mandatory challenger for now
How would you rate Martinez/Chavez Jr? Sem_t_tulo
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:18 pm
nodogoshi wrote:

No, I know what you're talking about, I just said he had a choice. If Ward did so choose to keep the WBC belt and drop the WBA (he will have to make a choice, as you said), the WBC could still fuck him over and strip him with the mandatory situation I outlined.

I see, I misread what you meant by "they couldn't outright strip him". Pretty farcical, it just keeps getting worse and worse with these ABC orgs.
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:41 pm
nodogoshi wrote:I see, I misread what you meant by "they couldn't outright strip him". Pretty farcical, it just keeps getting worse and worse with these ABC orgs.

Agreed. The WBC's corruption, the WBO's propensity to strip fighters at a whim, and the WBA's multiple paper titles are bad for boxing. The IBF is probably the most legitimate right now: their gestures toward a decent heavyweight eliminator tournament I liked, even if it didn't come off exactly as planned, due to the failure of negotiations for Adamek-Ustinov and the strange situation of Solis' relationship with King; however, failing to strip Peterson, a steroid cheat, was a big mistake and hurts their legitimacy, too.

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum