GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How good is Anderson Silva's striking?

+7
KSW
Dagwood
Adax
ZuffaKiller
Frank Hill
monaroCountry
Kinosis
11 posters
Go down

How good is Anderson Silva's striking?

K-1 Level

Good for MMA

Good but he has never fought a great striker and is bigger than opponents

Way overrated because he out strikes weak strikers

Terrible

View results

Kinosis
Kinosis

How good is Anderson Silva's striking? Empty How good is Anderson Silva's striking?

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:21 pm
Feel free to discuss.
monaroCountry

How good is Anderson Silva's striking? Empty Re: How good is Anderson Silva's striking?

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:52 pm
I choose GOOD FOR MMA. His striking is good for MMA but not exceptional.

He is a bit lucky in that he hasnt faced any K-1 level strikers, or really aggressive fighters who has a different style.

Anderson loves to keep his distance where he could better take advantage of his better reach. Up close he uses his better knees and elbows.

I can easily see many Eastern European fighters beat Anderson when it comes to kickboxing. These guys have a very distinct style that would givve Anderson troubles. I like how these guys can check and put up their defences, and like how these Eastern Europeans stalk their opponent and are always going forward.

The Japanese on the other side goes to the total opposite. They would give Anderson a huge challenge on the ground and with submissions. Their flashy non lay and pray style of proper Japanese fighters would see them pull something totally unexpected.
Kinosis
Kinosis

How good is Anderson Silva's striking? Empty Re: How good is Anderson Silva's striking?

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:40 pm
^I agree 100%. His striking is good for MMA but not exceptional compared to real kickboxers. I think a lot of reason he looks so great to the average ufc fan is because he is beating up on jiu-jitsu guys trying to strike with him. As far as good strikers he has fought, Vitor is okay and has some power, but nothing special and was coming off a long lay off. Franklin is okay but doesn't have much power and isn't particularly fast or anything and isn't even a top 10 guy at LHW. Henderson is a good win but his striking has come a long way in the last few years and Anderson submitted him anyway.

I do think Anderson is the best MW ever but his height and reach help him a lot there (like Jones at LHW). But he can make the weight so it is what it is. I really wish he would challenge himself and move to LHW so we can see some new fights.
Frank Hill
Frank Hill

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:02 am
His striking is good but lets be honest, what top strikers has he beaten? Vitor? Lee Murray? Anderson has benefited greatly from guys who either aren't very aggressive. technical, or both. I do think Silva has good timing and head movement and he is great at making fihgters play his game but can you imagine if he fought an aggressive striker like Manhoef, or a calculated, technical striker like Gegard? He would be shooting for takedowns in second.

Hey monaro, what Eastern European fighters do you think would beat Anderson? Off the top of my head I think Magomed Sultanakhmedov would soundly beat him but I'm not sure who else at MW could, I'm not too familiar with a lot of those other guys though .
monaroCountry

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:13 am
Just check out the M-1 and Golden Glory fights for a start. There are plenty of guys there would are very good kickboxers and who are a nightmare stylistically.
ZuffaKiller

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:15 am
I want to see Anderson in K-1 when it returns or see him fight in It's showtime.
Adax

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:42 am
Maia was tagging Anderson while on his knees.. just saying...
Kinosis
Kinosis

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:51 am
AudaxPowder wrote:Maia was tagging Anderson while on his knees.. just saying...

Sonnen dropped him too.
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:25 am
I chose... never fought any great strikers with a caveat. Vitor.
KSW
KSW

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:31 am
Good but he has never fought a great striker and is bigger than opponents. Like Frank said he hasn´t faced guys like Mousasi and Manhoef. I think Vitors stand up is very overrated. Just look at Andersons record, how many top level strikers do you see here?

Yushin Okami
Vitor Belfort
Chael Sonnen
Demian Maia
Forrest Griffin
Thales Leites
Patrick Cote
James Irvin
Dan Henderson
Rich Franklin
Nate Marquardt
Travis Lutter
Rich Franklin
Chris Leben
Tony Fryklund
Yushin Okami
Curtis Stout
Jorge Rivera
Ryo Chonan
Lee Murray
Jeremy Horn
Waldir dos Anjos
Daiju Takase
Carlos Newton
Alexander Otsuka
Alex Stiebling
Roan Carneiro
Hayato Sakurai
Israel Albuquerque
Tetsuji Kato
Claudionor Fontinelle
Jose Barreto
Luiz Azeredo
Fabricio Camoes
Raimundo Pinheiro

Dagwood
Dagwood

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:34 am
Kinosis wrote:

Sonnen dropped him too.

Vitor had/has all the tools needed to take out Anderson.

Hitting a home run on player's first pitch, better that... on the first pitch of a game, is an extremely rare thing even for the best hitters in MLB history. Even with best in world skills the stars tend to have been aligned. Other than the front kick Anderson was not winning the fight. Vitor was the aggressor who hit him with more solid shots and knocked him down.

KSW
KSW

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:46 am
I would like to see Anderson vs the swede Jörgen Kruth at LHW.
Dagwood
Dagwood

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:47 am
Johan Lofgren wrote:I would like to see Anderson vs the swede Jörgen Kruth at LHW.

I would like to see Anderson vs the swedes Börje Salming or Ingemar Stenmark at LHW.

KSW
KSW

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:49 am
Laughing Börje would be too much for Anderson
Kid Gavilan

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:46 am
Helps that he's fight one dimensional heavy bags.
Dapperdoo
Dapperdoo

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:58 am
he could be k-1 level but i voted good and he hasnt fought anyone, plus he's larger than all of his opponents. except griffin.
marchegiano
marchegiano

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:56 pm
Overrated!! where's his trigger foot? How pure is his power-line? thats 101 bullshit Anderson never learned. How often does Anderson get praised for head movement? How often does he try to out run the train? If you dunno what I'm talking about you don't know enough about basic boxing. Anderson Silva is a case of great accuracy coupled with a strategic mind. Striking, not matter what facet followed, is more than accurate, It's oddly powerful, and suspiciously efficient. Efficient is key, a bad striker can be made to look good by a worse striker, but he can not be made to appear efficient. Joe Louis, Ali, and Rocky. All three very different fights. For their goal in mind( Joe to beat you at your game, Ali to out speed, out think, and out work, Rocky to achieve a KO victory, and refuse defeat) are amazing artists of efficiency. Anderson's shown a lack of efficiency that could be exploited by a decent striker. He lucks out by lack of comp in MW. Most decent MW's are grapple types anyhow. For striking in MMA at MW he's great, but if you compare him to Alistair. Alistair is text-book. straight forward as all fuck. Where's his fall/trigger? where's his hands? Head movement? How often does he get off the tracks? How pure is his power line? Hooks not swings...hooks. Knees not just running the joint into a man, but real fucking knees. AO is a better striker.....he learned all the basics. Anderson had better never move up, and certainly does not want ANY of Dre Ward or Giorgio Petrosyan or any other great striker from a different sport. Homie is big fish in a little pond.
marchegiano
marchegiano

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:06 pm
Dagwood wrote:
Kinosis wrote:

Sonnen dropped him too.

Vitor had/has all the tools needed to take out Anderson.

Hitting a home run on player's first pitch, better that... on the first pitch of a game, is an extremely rare thing even for the best hitters in MLB history. Even with best in world skills the stars tend to have been aligned. Other than the front kick Anderson was not winning the fight. Vitor was the aggressor who hit him with more solid shots and knocked him down.

Agreed...ish, The kick was not lucky, but Vitor becoming careless.....It was a shitty feint, and I dunno how he fell for it. The point being: Even though Anderson won, and looked great, he did not display a superior set of skills. He showed a superior mind. Very, very, very different. I hate to say it, but Vitor's a damn fool. Sonnen at least took advantage of the track Anderson so arrogantly(foolishly?) lays. AS could have looked at Chael's feet....it wouldn't have changed a damn thing. Remember boys, don't look in the eyes....they ain't got no candy for you.
KSW
KSW

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:13 pm
marchegiano wrote:Overrated!! where's his trigger foot? How pure is his power-line? thats 101 bullshit Anderson never learned. How often does Anderson get praised for head movement? How often does he try to out run the train? If you dunno what I'm talking about you don't know enough about basic boxing. Anderson Silva is a case of great accuracy coupled with a strategic mind. Striking, not matter what facet followed, is more than accurate, It's oddly powerful, and suspiciously efficient. Efficient is key, a bad striker can be made to look good by a worse striker, but he can not be made to appear efficient. Joe Louis, Ali, and Rocky. All three very different fights. For their goal in mind( Joe to beat you at your game, Ali to out speed, out think, and out work, Rocky to achieve a KO victory, and refuse defeat) are amazing artists of efficiency. Anderson's shown a lack of efficiency that could be exploited by a decent striker. He lucks out by lack of comp in MW. Most decent MW's are grapple types anyhow. For striking in MMA at MW he's great, but if you compare him to Alistair. Alistair is text-book. straight forward as all fuck. Where's his fall/trigger? where's his hands? Head movement? How often does he get off the tracks? How pure is his power line? Hooks not swings...hooks. Knees not just running the joint into a man, but real fucking knees. AO is a better striker.....he learned all the basics. Anderson had better never move up, and certainly does not want ANY of Dre Ward or Giorgio Petrosyan or any other great striker from a different sport. Homie is big fish in a little pond.
I like your knowledge. I´ve been training boxing but you really seem to know your shit. What´s your background?
rezin
rezin

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:52 pm
I agree that his opponents for the most part are not good strikers, but lets keep in mind when
criticizing things like head movement and footwork that he doesn't really need to display exceptional qualities of either to defeat his opposition.

I don't care for Anderson anymore for a variety of reasons,
but as far as mma he's one of the very best strikers.

As far as K1, he's small for heavy and would get outscored in max,
but would probably do better that we expect at least at first.
Dagwood
Dagwood

Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:02 pm
marchegiano wrote:
Dagwood wrote:
Kinosis wrote:

Sonnen dropped him too.

Even with best in world skills the stars tend to have been aligned.

Agreed...ish, The kick was not lucky, but Vitor becoming careless.....It was a shitty feint, and I dunno how he fell for it. The point being: Even though Anderson won, and looked great, he did not display a superior set of skills. He showed a superior mind. Very, very, very different. I hate to say it, but Vitor's a damn fool. Sonnen at least took advantage of the track Anderson so arrogantly(foolishly?) lays. AS could have looked at Chael's feet....it wouldn't have changed a damn thing. Remember boys, don't look in the eyes....they ain't got no candy for you.

No, I wasn't saying it was lucky. It took lot of skill to execute that kick and get the result he did.

Just saying that with Anderson top-level MW striking skills vs an opponent of the skill-level of Vitor... Anderson could through that kick at Vitor dozens of times and not get the same result. Then taking into account it was virtually his first major striking attempt of the fight means it was even more of a synchronicity type of scenario.

marchegiano
marchegiano

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:29 pm
Dagwood wrote:
marchegiano wrote:
Dagwood wrote:
Kinosis wrote:

Sonnen dropped him too.

Even with best in world skills the stars tend to have been aligned.

No, I wasn't saying it was lucky. It took lot of skill to execute that kick and get the result he did.

Just saying that with Anderson top-level MW striking skills vs an opponent of the skill-level of Vitor... Anderson could through that kick at Vitor dozens of times and not get the same result. Then taking into account it was virtually his first major striking attempt of the fight means it was even more of a synchronicity type of scenario.

My bad guy, I agree 100%.....plus excellent use of synchronicity. By stroke of irony I happen to be listening to synchronicity II via vinyl. Makes my whole lack of understanding easier to take.

marchegiano
marchegiano

Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:13 pm
I've come here a few times to try to write out my combat history in a little detail, but I always run out of time. So here's the abridged version. My grandfather started me of with boxing at 8. My uncle has 9 black belts in 7 TMA. Repeats being Akido and Shotokan. He started training me at 13. In the 8th grade of Homestead Elementary in crossville tennessee they allowed males with permission slips to box. The idea was to have controlled fights as opposed to bathroom brawls. From 18 to 23 I was a girl who demanded I give up combat aspiration and focus on science( I am a chemist, engineer, and inventor). So, my prime training years were wasted, but I got a hold of both Jack Dempsey's championship fighting: Explosive punching with an aggressive defense and Rock Marciano's book of Boxing and Bodybuilding. Complete with Judo chapters. I picked training back up, and fought ( I didn't know then) unsanctioned MMA fights around Florida. I've actually been paid for 15 fights 15 wins and 15 KO's, but have no way of proving this. It's really a shame, and has turned me against gyms. Through out the journey I've trained at countless boxing gyms, but always mostly worked with my uncle for MMA. He introduced me to the UFC before he ever gave me a Gi. Any given MMA gym I've went to I've spent less than a year in. I'm 25 now, and looking to get into a boxing gym that can lead to a fight. I'd like to do boxing, MMA, kickboxing, and bring back bare-knuckle. An updated LPRR. I've been bouncing around since 23 in the Ocala-Leesburg area trying to find a serious and clean ( both business and cleanliness) gym. MMA in Florida is very dirty. There are a lot of excellent fighter being shafted by gym-managers. This really doesn't reflect the amount of time I've spent in gyms, or where I've gone for standardized training, but like I said time's got me by the balls. I feel like in gyms, even my grandfather's, it is my outside training that's always allowed me to find a weakness and play big fish in a little pond. So convenience of that train, IMO, was more important than the gyms. I'll come back here and get into that latter. When I do get a fight to show y'all you'll see it....even if it's an embarrassing loss. I fight as Jack The Ripper Dempsey. Jack Nonpariel Dempsey and Jack The Manassa Mauler Dempsey were giant killers. Not only some of my favorites....especially NP, but men after my own heart. The Ripper, a vicious murder. To be completely honest, and this may sound a bit fucked, not only to I want to absolutely own the boxing, MMA(world if it ever happens), and whoever becomes the big kickboxing faction.....classically I though that'd be K-1, but recently ya know....titles. I want to be honored with connecting a punch completely clean, and legal that kills a man. Hence The Ripper......just in case y'all didn't know. No Jack Dempsey was born Jack Dempsey. John Kelly was NP, and The Mauler was Will Harrison. That's were I pull knowledge from, and my POV for fighting.....I think.
Kinosis
Kinosis

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:36 pm
marchegiano wrote:I've come here a few times to try to write out my combat history in a little detail, but I always run out of time. So here's the abridged version. My grandfather started me of with boxing at 8. My uncle has 9 black belts in 7 TMA. Repeats being Akido and Shotokan. He started training me at 13. In the 8th grade of Homestead Elementary in crossville tennessee they allowed males with permission slips to box. The idea was to have controlled fights as opposed to bathroom brawls. From 18 to 23 I was a girl who demanded I give up combat aspiration and focus on science( I am a chemist, engineer, and inventor). So, my prime training years were wasted, but I got a hold of both Jack Dempsey's championship fighting: Explosive punching with an aggressive defense and Rock Marciano's book of Boxing and Bodybuilding. Complete with Judo chapters. I picked training back up, and fought ( I didn't know then) unsanctioned MMA fights around Florida. I've actually been paid for 15 fights 15 wins and 15 KO's, but have no way of proving this. It's really a shame, and has turned me against gyms. Through out the journey I've trained at countless boxing gyms, but always mostly worked with my uncle for MMA. He introduced me to the UFC before he ever gave me a Gi. Any given MMA gym I've went to I've spent less than a year in. I'm 25 now, and looking to get into a boxing gym that can lead to a fight. I'd like to do boxing, MMA, kickboxing, and bring back bare-knuckle. An updated LPRR. I've been bouncing around since 23 in the Ocala-Leesburg area trying to find a serious and clean ( both business and cleanliness) gym. MMA in Florida is very dirty. There are a lot of excellent fighter being shafted by gym-managers. This really doesn't reflect the amount of time I've spent in gyms, or where I've gone for standardized training, but like I said time's got me by the balls. I feel like in gyms, even my grandfather's, it is my outside training that's always allowed me to find a weakness and play big fish in a little pond. So convenience of that train, IMO, was more important than the gyms. I'll come back here and get into that latter. When I do get a fight to show y'all you'll see it....even if it's an embarrassing loss. I fight as Jack The Ripper Dempsey. Jack Nonpariel Dempsey and Jack The Manassa Mauler Dempsey were giant killers. Not only some of my favorites....especially NP, but men after my own heart. The Ripper, a vicious murder. To be completely honest, and this may sound a bit fucked, not only to I want to absolutely own the boxing, MMA(world if it ever happens), and whoever becomes the big kickboxing faction.....classically I though that'd be K-1, but recently ya know....titles. I want to be honored with connecting a punch completely clean, and legal that kills a man. Hence The Ripper......just in case y'all didn't know. No Jack Dempsey was born Jack Dempsey. John Kelly was NP, and The Mauler was Will Harrison. That's were I pull knowledge from, and my POV for fighting.....I think.

WTF?
KSW
KSW

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:58 am
marchegiano wrote:I've come here a few times to try to write out my combat history in a little detail, but I always run out of time. So here's the abridged version. My grandfather started me of with boxing at 8. My uncle has 9 black belts in 7 TMA. Repeats being Akido and Shotokan. He started training me at 13. In the 8th grade of Homestead Elementary in crossville tennessee they allowed males with permission slips to box. The idea was to have controlled fights as opposed to bathroom brawls. From 18 to 23 I was a girl who demanded I give up combat aspiration and focus on science( I am a chemist, engineer, and inventor). So, my prime training years were wasted, but I got a hold of both Jack Dempsey's championship fighting: Explosive punching with an aggressive defense and Rock Marciano's book of Boxing and Bodybuilding. Complete with Judo chapters. I picked training back up, and fought ( I didn't know then) unsanctioned MMA fights around Florida. I've actually been paid for 15 fights 15 wins and 15 KO's, but have no way of proving this. It's really a shame, and has turned me against gyms. Through out the journey I've trained at countless boxing gyms, but always mostly worked with my uncle for MMA. He introduced me to the UFC before he ever gave me a Gi. Any given MMA gym I've went to I've spent less than a year in. I'm 25 now, and looking to get into a boxing gym that can lead to a fight. I'd like to do boxing, MMA, kickboxing, and bring back bare-knuckle. An updated LPRR. I've been bouncing around since 23 in the Ocala-Leesburg area trying to find a serious and clean ( both business and cleanliness) gym. MMA in Florida is very dirty. There are a lot of excellent fighter being shafted by gym-managers. This really doesn't reflect the amount of time I've spent in gyms, or where I've gone for standardized training, but like I said time's got me by the balls. I feel like in gyms, even my grandfather's, it is my outside training that's always allowed me to find a weakness and play big fish in a little pond. So convenience of that train, IMO, was more important than the gyms. I'll come back here and get into that latter. When I do get a fight to show y'all you'll see it....even if it's an embarrassing loss. I fight as Jack The Ripper Dempsey. Jack Nonpariel Dempsey and Jack The Manassa Mauler Dempsey were giant killers. Not only some of my favorites....especially NP, but men after my own heart. The Ripper, a vicious murder. To be completely honest, and this may sound a bit fucked, not only to I want to absolutely own the boxing, MMA(world if it ever happens), and whoever becomes the big kickboxing faction.....classically I though that'd be K-1, but recently ya know....titles. I want to be honored with connecting a punch completely clean, and legal that kills a man. Hence The Ripper......just in case y'all didn't know. No Jack Dempsey was born Jack Dempsey. John Kelly was NP, and The Mauler was Will Harrison. That's were I pull knowledge from, and my POV for fighting.....I think.
You seem to be legit but what do you mean by kill a man, joke?
How good is Anderson Silva's striking? 191574955
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum