GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ring or Cage?

+10
Slugger O'Toole
Dagwood
Dorch
CDF47
MR.WILLIE
Mikal
fka
backdoor to zuffa
adam
KSW
14 posters
Go down

Ring or Cage?

Ring

Cage

View results

KSW
KSW

Ring or Cage? Empty Ring or Cage?

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:07 pm
Which version of MMA do you prefer?
adam
adam

Ring or Cage? Empty Re: Ring or Cage?

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:08 pm
Ring, easily.
backdoor to zuffa
backdoor to zuffa

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:08 pm
Ring! Not even animals belong in cages.
KSW
KSW

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:16 pm
Ring should be standard for mma just like in boxing and kickboxing. Who wants to see Klitschko boxing in a Cage?
backdoor to zuffa
backdoor to zuffa

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:25 pm
lol

To me, the ring is like a stage. Cage is a viewer-unfriendly pit. Evil or Very Mad Could you imagine the Thrilla in Manila inside a creepy cage? Like, eww.
KSW
KSW

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:32 pm
backdoor to zuffa wrote:lol

To me, the ring is like a stage. Cage is a viewer-unfriendly pit. :evil:Could you imagine the Thrilla in Manila inside a creepy cage? Like, eww.
That wouldn´t have been classy at all.
KSW
KSW

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:38 pm
It´s very important for us to support the only big ring promotions left which are M-1 and KSW. The new russian promotion Legend looks great and uses the ring and DEEP is still going strong so it´s up to these 4 imo. What ring promotions do you guys think have most potential?
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:45 pm
Honestly boxing Kickboxing pretty much singular combat sports belong in a ring.

Mma I have a twisted opinion....

Ring has positives like easier viewing for audience and allows for good hip movement when pinned against it to avoid takedowns and throw kneese.

But ring has downsides like people falling out,having to reset fighters when they are tangled up in them.

Guys constantly grabbing on the ropes and guys purposely sticking their head or whole body out of them to avoid strikes or takedown.

Also rings favor strikers

The best thing for mma is m-1 rage hybrid of both tho if pushed I would say I prefer cage.

I will wait for the bashing to begin before I explain further.
Mikal
Mikal

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:55 pm
The two certainly bring on two different styles of MMA. Personally I cannot get behind something that was used  as a gimmick to attract drunken rednecks as an official platform for martial arts. The cage was just that - a gimmick. And now it's a gimmick that is manipulated to avoid fighting by stalling. The octagon shape I do not mind at all, but the cage itself is not something I support.

How often do we see BJJ action stopped because a guy is pressing the guy on the bottom against the cage? How often do we see striking action stopped because the guy can push someone against the cage and hold his weight on him?

Immediate resets in the center (same position) are much better than 30-40 seconds of stalling before the ref even warns them to press the action.
KSW
KSW

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:56 pm
fka wrote:Honestly boxing Kickboxing pretty much singular combat sports belong in a ring.

Mma I have a twisted opinion....

Ring has positives like easier viewing for audience and allows for good hip movement when pinned against it to avoid takedowns and throw kneese.

But ring has downsides like people falling out,having to reset fighters when they are tangled up in them.

Guys constantly grabbing on the ropes and guys purposely sticking their head or whole body out of them to avoid strikes or takedown.

Also rings favor strikers

The best thing for mma is m-1 rage hybrid of both tho if pushed I would say I prefer cage.

I will wait for the bashing to begin before I explain further.
I agree about the M-1 Rage being the best solution but restarts don´t bother me. Falling out of the ropes isn´t a problem, it rarely happens and if it happens they can have soft stuff around the ring so the fighter doesn´t get hurt. The worst thing about mma right now is all the wall and stalling against the cage and humping on the ground which is caused by the "unified rules". Also the cage looks like shit for the viewers.
KSW
KSW

Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:57 pm
Mikal wrote:The two certainly bring on two different styles of MMA. Personally I cannot get behind something that was used  as a gimmick to attract drunken rednecks as an official platform for martial arts. The cage was just that - a gimmick. And now it's a gimmick that is manipulated to avoid fighting by stalling. The octagon shape I do not mind at all, but the cage itself is not something I support.

How often do we see BJJ action stopped because a guy is pressing the guy on the bottom against the cage? How often do we see striking action stopped because the guy can push someone against the cage and hold his weight on him?

Immediate resets in the center (same position) are much better than 30-40 seconds of stalling before the ref even warns them to press the action.
Well said brother
MR.WILLIE

Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:11 pm
I watch both but prefer the ring since I'm a pride junkie!

I would have like for m1 to stay with the standard ring tho!

Also I can support ring companies but the companies have to also have good talent for us to support!

IMO ksw has to step it up more, maybe use the production money to sign better talent, the materla/ silva rematch sucks and pudzia/ Sean rematch also!

I also like mfc from Canada, they use a nice ring, the oct 4th event will be their pick roped ring for cancer awareness, pretty cool
KSW
KSW

Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:14 pm
MR.WILLIE wrote:I watch both but prefer the ring since I'm a pride junkie!

Also I can support ring companies but the companies have to also have good talent for us to support!

IMO ksw has to step it up more, maybe use the production money to sign better talent, the materla/ silva rematch sucks and pudzia/ Sean rematch also!

I also like mfc from Canada, they use a nice ring, the oct 4th event will be their pick roped ring for cancer awareness, pretty cool
Which ring promotion do you think has most potential for the future?
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:25 pm
I like both and I like having orgs. using both platforms.  I give an edge to ring since it's better for strikers, is better for viewing live events, and has a classy look.  We need more ring orgs.

Last edited by CDF47 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:25 pm
MR.WILLIE wrote:I watch both but prefer the ring since I'm a pride junkie!

M-1 standard ring for sure.  With you on that.
adam
adam

Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:45 pm
I honestly think MMA would be further along if the big promotions like the UFC would have switched to the ring earlier on.

I don't know, I'm a traditionalist.
Dorch
Dorch

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:15 pm
Ring is just pure fucking class !
backdoor to zuffa
backdoor to zuffa

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:32 pm
Ring makes mma look like a real sport. Cage makes mma look like a JOKE. Evil or Very Mad
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:55 pm
We should post the results of this poll on Sherdog in the UFC discussion forum. Laughing 
Slugger O'Toole
Slugger O'Toole

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:57 pm
only ring always and forever
Slugger O'Toole
Slugger O'Toole

Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:57 pm
no ring no life
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:25 pm
I understand the thoughts on cages let me address some issues

I believe a lot of you dislike cage because evil ufc use it LOL when really the Gracie family is the one responsible for its use and concept.

The whole wall n stall argument I can agree to an extent but I see wall n stall being a rules problem not a cage issue.

If ufc were to punish guys fir stalling and break up lay n pray fests it would solve the issue.

Honestly cage is the best u say cage
favors wrestlers well ring favors strikers.

I hate restarts just when a Guy is getting better position its middle of the Ring where Guy can reposition hands and get his defense ready also the ropes hinder alit of action cuz guys duck behind or jump out the ring period.or they are restarted standing.

I love pride I loved its evolution but while watching it I can't deny the restarts and the hindering of ring had me thinking cage would have gotten rid of those problems.

I like m-1 rage cuz its octagon shape allowing fir room to properly circle and find range has cage on bottom preventing fallout or gay restarts and allows guys to get up but has ropes at top so guys can still move torso to Dodge takedowns and throw strikes.

Ring frankly is outdated it leaves a lot of problems that are unnecessary I love mmas history but it needs to evolve with the sport.

Boxing and wwe are OK in ring but mma and mmas future is in a cage.
adam
adam

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:58 pm
No, I just hate it because it's ugly and trashy.

And I think the thought of it "favoring wrestlers" is exaggerated. Actually the cage helps stop a lot of takedowns or defenders often use a cage sprawl but people rarely bring that up.

A good wrestler is going to take you down regardless if it's a cage or ring.
KSW
KSW

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:05 am
fka wrote:I believe a lot of you dislike cage because evil ufc use it LOL when really the Gracie family is the one responsible for its use and concept.
I became an mma fan via kickboxing and then PRIDE when Cro Cop signed with them. I never liked the UFC/Gracie version of mma and I never watched it back in the days.
loyalty13
loyalty13

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:21 am
Cage honestly works best for mma. you shoot a double close to someone by the ropes, both parties can fly out hurt.i don't like the hugging or point fighting, but the cage, as brutal and primitive as it may seem, works the best for grappling situations.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum