GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
SRC
SRC

The reason why we have MMA in the USA (Haters gonna hate this) Empty The reason why we have MMA in the USA (Haters gonna hate this)

Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:43 pm
In the early days of MMA, we had Pancrase, Shooto, White Dragon, and other various promotions around the world. They all had their influences and they had an impact on the sport we love today. The truth for American MMA, starts with the Fertitta brothers. Lorenzo had the ties to the athletic commissions in Nevada and was the only person willing to put up the money to regulate and expand the sport. I don't care how he got the money, the fact is he put it up and we got the UFC. Even though it didn't really make a profit until TUF, they spent millions marketing the UFC and getting it regulated state by state. I appreciate the fact that we have MMA in America that is regulated. It's not perfect, but I respect the fact that we do have it. The only downside is, throughout the years of legalizing and promoting MMA, the only person to step up to the plate and really give the UFC a run for their money was Strikeforce. It's really unfortunate that the only alternative to the casual fan is Bellator. WSOF isn't even a blip on peoples radars. I just hope that they can improve and give us better shows and create some legit competition in the UFC.

kayneoTheRisingWarrior
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

The reason why we have MMA in the USA (Haters gonna hate this) Empty Re: The reason why we have MMA in the USA (Haters gonna hate this)

Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:46 pm
i get it
backdoor to zuffa
backdoor to zuffa

The reason why we have MMA in the USA (Haters gonna hate this) Empty Re: The reason why we have MMA in the USA (Haters gonna hate this)

Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:56 pm
Move along, people. Nothing to see here.
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:13 pm
SRC wrote:In the early days of MMA, we had Pancrase, Shooto, White Dragon, and other various promotions around the world. They all had their influences and they had an impact on the sport we love today. The truth for American MMA, starts with the Fertitta brothers. Lorenzo had the ties to the athletic commissions in Nevada and was the only person willing to put up the money to regulate and expand the sport. I don't care how he got the money, the fact is he put it up and we got the UFC. Even though it didn't really make a profit until TUF, they spent millions marketing the UFC and getting it regulated state by state. I appreciate the fact that we have MMA in America that is regulated. It's not perfect, but I respect the fact that we do have it. The only downside is, throughout the years of legalizing and promoting MMA, the only person to step up to the plate and really give the UFC a run for their money was Strikeforce. It's really unfortunate that the only alternative to the casual fan is Bellator. WSOF isn't even a blip on peoples radars. I just hope that they can improve and give us better shows and create some legit competition in the UFC.

https://2img.net/u/2816/12/39/68/smiles/2438395501.jpg
Heretic
Heretic

Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:34 pm
people seem to forget about the SEG era of UFC.... those were awesome times, and tho strike force was a good competitor. It paled in comparison to the PRIDE era, to watch Pride dominate the UFC in those days was quite a spectacle
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:38 am
SEG was actually doing well with the UFC before all the political pressure and being banned off ppv.

Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:01 am
TeamJohnPerretti wrote:SEG was actually doing well with the UFC before all the political pressure and being banned off ppv.

Hey John! Welcome to G-MMA.  cheers 

Did Eddie give you an invite? We're really honored to have you here. I really enjoy your NHB shows with him.

As you're probably aware we're not your average MMA discussion forum.  Laughing We've got a bit of a movement going here. I think you'll enjoy it.

In regard to SEG during your time with them & the UFC prior to McCarthy's errr... McCain's anti-MMA campaign.... wouldn't sanctioning in Nevada, that seemed to be in the bag have negated all that?
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:54 am
Sorry I'm TeamJohnPerretti, I'm not John Perretti.

SEG before political pressure/banned off ppv had put on popular shows that sold hundreds of thousands of ppv buys.

Sanctioning in Nevada was the biggest issue they faced. At the time remember SEG had already gotten sanctioned in a number of states (New Jersey, Mississippi, Iowa).

The Nevada boxing commission (Lorenzo Fertitta was on this) even attended one of the UFC's in Iowa an was set to vote on sanctioning of mma.

fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:46 pm
Seg era was fun to watch but was littered with untalented brawlers not even fully one dimensional LOL.

Pride was better then ufc up until the day they closed down no question there.

Thing is I agree with src in that ufc did for American mma that no one would or could do get the sport regulated and dumped millions in before ever seeing a return.

Without ufc when pride died what would we have?

Ufc inherited prides roster and #1 spot in the world and began introducing American mma to the masses.while I don't agree with fighter treatment and scorched earth rival policy(unless your wsof)I am glad there was an org willing and able to take the torch and gather a good portion of the worlds talent.
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:17 pm
I had no issue with the UFC until they started buying up the competition and running them into the ground.

even with ufc buying other orgs they somehow had too many fighters and many fighters are forced to either take a pay cut or be thrown out ...

Its funny how ben askren makes more money than most of the top 10 in the ufc...it's shocking what UFC pays
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum