GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eddie Alvarez close to UFC move

+6
monaroCountry
CDF47
MMArx
Kid Gavilan
rezin
ZuffaKiller
10 posters
Go down
ZuffaKiller

Eddie Alvarez close to UFC move Empty Eddie Alvarez close to UFC move

Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:31 pm
Eddie Alvarez could be on his way to the UFC in the near future.

He has one fight left on his current deal with Bellator FC, where he recently lost the lightweight belt to Michael Chandler.

Both sides have been in negotiations on a new deal for some time but a source tells Fighters Only that he and Bellator and “miles apart” on the value of a new contract.

The source says that the tone has “soured” recently and that a resolution now seems all but impossible, with the respective parties adamant that they cannot move from their stated positions.

A training partner of UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar, Alvarez has been on the UFC radar for some time.

Bellator is looking at bringing in Shinya Aoki for the last fight of Alvarez’s contract, pursuant to a talent-sharing agreement with Japanese promotion DREAM.

Aoki holds the DREAM lightweight title and also holds a submission win over Alvarez from 2008lvarez is anxious for revenge but the clash would have serious implications for his immediate future.

If he lost to Aoki, he would exit Bellator on a two-fight losing streak and a decreased value which would harm his negotiating position with the UFC.

Should he win, he would be going into contract talks off the back of a win over a DREAM champion, making him more marketable from the UFC’s point of view and thus adding to his contract value, especially in light of their targeting the Japanese market.

From heavy.com:
"I still have eight or nine months left on my contract with Bellator or one or two fights," Alvarez said. "I’m waiting to finalize things, but I believe we are going to be doing the fight with Shinya Aoki. That would be on April 20, but we just received the contracts and we are looking them over. Nothing is 100 percent right now, but that is what we are aiming to do."
rezin
rezin

Eddie Alvarez close to UFC move Empty Re: Eddie Alvarez close to UFC move

Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:51 pm
Ugh great, let's all join the ufc.

Bellator should do everything in their power to keep him,
and I don't mean that in a legalities and contracts way.

- Ikuhisa Minowa. 1976 - infinity
Kid Gavilan

Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:19 pm
Is ufc fighters only rag, a legit source?
MMArx
MMArx

Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:29 pm
Eddie Alvarez disgraced himself when he quit against Michael Chandler. He sounds like a perfect fit for the UFC...
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:58 pm
I hope Aoki subs him again in the first.

Isaiah 53, Daniel 9:25-27, Acts 4:12
http://www.godandscience.org/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVkdQhNdzHU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzj8iXiVDT8
MMArx
MMArx

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:40 pm
CDF47 wrote:I hope Aoki subs him again in the first.

Same...
monaroCountry

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:47 pm
UFC getting castoffs.

A reverse UFC strategy would be to call Eddie a Bellator reject who was never good enough against current fighters.

It would be great if Eddie won against all UFC fighters. This would put into question the UFC stock.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:57 am
monaroCountry wrote:UFC getting castoffs.

A reverse UFC strategy would be to call Eddie a Bellator reject who was never good enough against current fighters.

It would be great if Eddie won against all UFC fighters. This would put into question the UFC stock.

LOL... Could you imagine?
KSW
KSW

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:06 am
"When something bad happens to me (wrong order, stubbed my toe, etc. etc.) I don't say "damn" or "fuck"
or things like that. I scream "zuuuuuuuufffffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaa" as I shake my fist to the sky."

-rezin
KSW
KSW

Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:45 pm
CDF47 wrote:I hope Aoki subs him again in the first.
Aoki must win this fight.
Frank Hill
Frank Hill

Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:45 pm
LOL why are people trashing Eddie? Just because he is thinking of signing with the UFC? Last year Eddie was a top 3 LW , and now just cause he lost a fight doesn't make him a castoff, I'm a bit disappointed in him but lets not trash the guy. 1 loss and he disgraced himself? Eddie has a family and I'm sure he is just thinking of what is best for them. If he can beat Aoki and earn a fat contract for himself, I can respect his choice, even if he is signing with an org I despise. Sometimes you gotta go for the money. I thought it was about the fighters and not the orgs?

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:07 am
Alvares is one of the most exiting fighters out there, but I'm a bigger fan of Aoki so I rooting for him.

As far as Alvares signing with the ufc, Kid Gavilian is right we really don't know anything about the source.

Nothing Eddie said in that quote says anything about "soured relations" or signing with the ufc.

It's possible he just wants a little more money. Like I said Bellator should do everything to keep him.
He may have lost his last but he's still one of their best fighters and one of the most exiting as well.

- Ikuhisa Minowa. 1976 - infinity
KSW
KSW

Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:45 am
Frank Hill wrote:LOL why are people trashing Eddie? Just because he is thinking of signing with the UFC? Last year Eddie was a top 3 LW , and now just cause he lost a fight doesn't make him a castoff, I'm a bit disappointed in him but lets not trash the guy. 1 loss and he disgraced himself? Eddie has a family and I'm sure he is just thinking of what is best for them. If he can beat Aoki and earn a fat contract for himself, I can respect his choice, even if he is signing with an org I despise. Sometimes you gotta go for the money. I thought it was about the fighters and not the orgs?
Eddie is still a top fighter and I like him very much. I´m a bigger Aoki fan and that´s why I want him to win. The only one here who trashed Eddie was MMArx.
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:48 am
Johan Lofgren wrote:"When something bad happens to me (wrong order, stubbed my toe, etc. etc.) I don't say "damn" or "fuck"
or things like that. I scream "zuuuuuuuufffffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaa" as I shake my fist to the sky."

-rezin

LOL!... Early Anti-Zuffa Top Team post.
Frank Hill
Frank Hill

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:08 pm
Johan Lofgren wrote:
Frank Hill wrote:LOL why are people trashing Eddie? Just because he is thinking of signing with the UFC? Last year Eddie was a top 3 LW , and now just cause he lost a fight doesn't make him a castoff, I'm a bit disappointed in him but lets not trash the guy. 1 loss and he disgraced himself? Eddie has a family and I'm sure he is just thinking of what is best for them. If he can beat Aoki and earn a fat contract for himself, I can respect his choice, even if he is signing with an org I despise. Sometimes you gotta go for the money. I thought it was about the fighters and not the orgs?
Eddie is still a top fighter and I like him very much. I´m a bigger Aoki fan and that´s why I want him to win. The only one here who trashed Eddie was MMArx.

Yeah I overreacted, lol I had 1 too many last night. I just like this forum, I have a lot of respect for the posters here and naturally I have high expectation from them lol.

There doesn't seem to be any legit proof that Eddie is going to sign with the UFC but even so I hope he stays with Bellator. Non Zuffa LWs are underrepresented in the rankings. Shitdog only has Aoki and Chandler in their top 10 and I'll bet they will take them out of the top 10 first chance they get. Worldwide mma needs Eddie imo there are still plenty of fights for him outside ZUFFA.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:26 pm
Frank Hill wrote:
Johan Lofgren wrote:

Yeah I overreacted, lol I had 1 too many last night. I just like this forum, I have a lot of respect for the posters here and naturally I have high expectation from them lol.

There doesn't seem to be any legit proof that Eddie is going to sign with the UFC but even so I hope he stays with Bellator. Non Zuffa LWs are underrepresented in the rankings. Shitdog only has Aoki and Chandler in their top 10 and I'll bet they will take them out of the top 10 first chance they get. Worldwide mma needs Eddie imo there are still plenty of fights for him outside ZUFFA.

If they offer him a bucket of cash or something, than why not.

Than again, signing with Zuffa is a dangerous proposition. Not just because of the bait and switch tactics and the possibility of being left on the shelf with no recourse, but also the ancillary rights stuff, etc.

So, my opinion on the matter (merely my opinion) is "don't do it Eddie."
KSW
KSW

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:31 pm
Frank Hill wrote:
Johan Lofgren wrote:

Eddie Alvarez close to UFC move 469908358

Eddie Alvarez close to UFC move Pridei
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum