GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Kid Gavilan

Cotto vs Mayweather, Alvarez vs Mosley, May 5th Empty Cotto vs Mayweather, Alvarez vs Mosley, May 5th

Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:22 am
12 rounds WBA JMW title-

#1 JMW Miguel Cotto (37-2, 30 KO's)

vs

#2 WW Floyd Mayweather Jr (42-0, 26 KO's)
-----------------------
12 rounds WBC JMW title-

#2 Saul Alvarez (39-0-1, 29 KO's)

vs

Shane Mosley (46-7-1, 39 KO's)

May 5th PPV.
rezin
rezin

Cotto vs Mayweather, Alvarez vs Mosley, May 5th Empty Re: Cotto vs Mayweather, Alvarez vs Mosley, May 5th

Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:35 am
Cotto vs Mayweather is rather late, but it's still interesting I think.

marchegiano
marchegiano

Cotto vs Mayweather, Alvarez vs Mosley, May 5th Empty Re: Cotto vs Mayweather, Alvarez vs Mosley, May 5th

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:56 am
I dunno about Shane. I think it's time to hang up the gloves homie.

Cotto-Mayweather? Ditto, late but not the worst.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:17 am
^^

The match ups look good on paper, but Mosely is basically shot, and I don't expect Cotto-Mayweather to be that competitive. The fight certainly doesn't have the same luster it may have a few years ago at least.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:20 am
That said, I don't know who would be competitive against Mayweather, aside from maybe Sergio Martinez, based on the size difference alone pretty much, and that's asking a lot of Mayweather to step up to face the undisputed middleweight champion. The Pac fight is still intriguing, but I don't see Pac overly troubling Mayweather to be quite honest. I was singing a different tune before, but Mayweather would haves the skills to beat Pac and would know just how to do it. Mayweather is the best boxer in the world, even though I haven't been a fan of some of his out of the ring antics and behavior. Inside the ring though the guy is amazing.
brace
brace

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:06 pm
I like the matches a lot. Big fan of Cotto, but he may be outclassed. Mayweather is always a lot of drama, so who knows.

Mosley is obviously being used to push Alvarez into higher profile fights/bigger money. The kid is a star.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:50 pm
Cotto is actually probably the next best out there (behind Pac, not counting Martinez, who is not in the same weightclass, even if he's a relatively smaller middleweight).

The only other guy I could think of would be maybe Paul Williams, but he didn't look good recently. On such grounds it is hard to criticize the matchmaking. I felt the same about the Ortiz fight, basically. It certainly isn't Mayweather's fault that he is head and shoulders above the competition.

There was certainly a perception though for a while that he was ducking his top challengers in years past. I think those were valid criticisms. I also think the fight with Cotto is overdue, although Mayweather is at least moving up to fight Cotto and Cotto is the current #1 junior middleweight in the world. So, I have to give credit to Mayweather for making the best fight possible.

I still think it'll be a one sided fight, but it will at the very least be a good fight to see Mayweather's ring brilliance. And who knows, you can't just count Cotto out just like that.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum