GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
kayneoTheRisingWarrior
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

INvicta say their not a feeder leagues  Empty INvicta say their not a feeder leagues

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:05 pm
http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/12/12/5203366/invicta-a-feeder-to-ufc-no-says-shannon-knapp-more-a-game-changer

On WednesdayDana Whiteeld an impromptu media call to announce that the UFC would be acquiring eleven strawweights from Invicta FC in creating its own division. Not only that, but those strawweights, along with five others from the lusher global garden of straws, would compete in the 20th edition of The Ultimate Fighter, which begins filming in May

The winner of the show will be crowned the first ever UFC strawweight champion, the tenth title in the UFC’s pantheon of divisions.

This news is a lot of things all at once. TUF, a franchise that often feels on the verge of playing itself out even as it expands into other countries, gets yet another fresh coat of paint, this time with an all-female house (season 18 was merely co-ed) and the highest stakes possible (season four, the "Come Back" season, dangled only title 

Then there’s the emergence of women’s MMA in the UFC in general, which now, a year after it got started, begins to perpetuate.

White had spoken about the introduction of the 115-pound division a few weeks back, which then opened questions about where he intended to get them. Invicta, a pioneering women’s league that Shannon Knapp has made into a springboard for athlete recognition in just a short year-and-a-half, was obviously the most poachable. In Knapp’s Kansas City-based Eden everyone was happy just to fight, and they fought hard, and they fought for the things they (and she) stood for. No promotion in 2013 has casted the kinds of cool vibes that Invicta has.

]Just how dear and darling was it?

Even the UFC and Dana White gets along famously with Knapp and Invicta, which is a feat in itself when you consider "Djork/Bjork," "Strikefarce," "Vadummy" and the universal sign for aFedor Emelianenkooss, which goes down in history as, "Smile." White doesn’t hate Invicta. And that non-hate is mutual.[

So what does Wednesday’s news of the UFC bringing over a full hovercraft of Invicta’s fighters ultimately mean? To hear Knapp tell it, this acquisition is, if not a natural progression, then certainly a form of validation that works both ways.

"Basically, we’d been in conversations [with the UFC], and there was interest shown in that [115-pound] division, and we cut a deal," Knapp told MMA Fighting after the announcement was made. "That’s basically it. We were able to come to an agreement, cut a deal, and we moved forward."[/size]

"Moving forward" is a concept that Knapp lives by. In describing the reasoning behind the shipment of strawweights -- which she refers to as a win-win -- she mentions the word "graduation." She says "advancement." But her favorite word is "opportunity," which is why she provided a platform for women mixed martial artists to begin with. The UFC can offer her fighters more than she can currently, and therefore she would be hindering their progress as professionals to stand in the way of them going.

You know, I think it’s huge on many levels. I think the opportunity that these female athletes have right now will do amazing things for the sport as a whole, and for future female athletes," she says. "This is an opportunity to change their lives. And it’s certainly not one that I can match at this moment in time. 

"My goal has always been -- always, from day one and from the moment I ever stepped into this sport -- to make a difference. And when I had the opportunity to start Invicta, and to build Invicta, the goal professional and personally was to still make a difference. And to create opportunities. So for me, this is an amazing thing not only for Invicta, but for athletes and for future athletes. Because these girls are going to go in there and continue to break down those barriers that we’re fighting hard to break down everyday, and they’re going to get the opportunity and the recognition that they deserve." [/size]

Though Knapp didn’t go into detail on how she was compensated, the deal also proves that she was (and remains) ahead of the curve -- even if looks right now like she’s harvesting tomorrow’s UFC stars. Not only was she hip to women’s MMA enough to make it her promotional flagship, but she scouts talent better than about anybody in the fight game. That the UFC would take one of her divisions wholesale is a testament to that

Just look at the cosmopolitan list of names: "Thug" Rose Namajunas, Australia’s Bec Hyatt, [/size]]Felice HerrigCarla Esparza, Brazil’s Juliana Lima, Emily Kagen,Alex Chamberslaudia GadelhaTecia "The Tiny Tornado" Torres, Scotland’s Joanne Calderwood and Paige VanZant (ironically of Team Alpha Male). Knapp has a metal detector for the ore just under the surface.

And let’s remember: those names are names in large part because of her platform

I can go out there and fill out that roster and division again," she says. "Because, if you think about it, how many people knew those girls before? You really know their names because of Invicta, and that’s an astounding thing itself. From a company that’s only a year-and-a-half old, with only seven shows. To be able to do that that quickly, and have [the UFC] take notice that quickly…they’re the biggest show in the world. For them to give me that amount of acknowledgement, it’s huge. I think there’s a lot of things we both get out of it, which is what a good relationship is all about."

Though Knapp concedes that it’s "bittersweet" to let go of some of her own (she likens it to seeing her kids off to college), she honors Invicta’s original ideology, which was to bring attention to the women who compete in MMA.

How can I stand in front of my girls and say go in there and fight your heart out for me and this promotion, but at the same time tell them I’m not willing to stand in front of them and fight for them to get their dreams and the opportunity that they deserve?" she says. "I can’t do that. And this ever comes down to nothing but money for me, I’ll pack it in and pack it up. That’s not how I got in

As Invicta FC now goes about restocking its own 115-pound shelves and searching for a television deal, people will wonder about its future. Contrary to those concerns, Knapp says it’s all systems go, and that she will continue to do what she’s been doing since early 2012.

f you’re asking me what does this deal do for Invicta, I can think of many things," she says. "I think it gives us recognition for what we’re doing over here and for our accomplishment. Aside from the great things and opportunities that it’s going to provide the athletes, you know, I was] in that division. And I have a ton of young athletes that are coming up through the ranks that need a home. I can fill that division tomorrow. I have a platform that makes it easier for me to build stars and fill divisions out."

And in light of Wednesday’s news, there will be temptation to call Invicta a "feeder" league for the UFC’s burgeoning women’s divisions. Knapp, an optimist, doesn’t like word nor find it accurate, because it skews too heavily towards a specific sort of catering. Invicta is still as much as destination as it is a potential gateway. 

What’s a feeder? I don’t know that I would look at us as a feeder so much as I’d look at us as a game-changer," she says. "I’ll never look at us as a feeder. We’re doing exactly what we wanted to do, which was build these divisions out and give these girls opportunities. If they moved on and graduated that doesn’t make me a feeder.

"The UFC has two women’s weight divisions, we have five. And I’m planning on adding one more. I was going to look to a 155-pound division. A feeder? No, we’re game-changers. We’re making a difference.
Eleven current strawweights and many future female fighters would concur that Knapp and Invicta FC have indeed changed the game.

Last edited by kayneoTheRisingWarrior on Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
KSW
KSW

INvicta say their not a feeder leagues  Empty Re: INvicta say their not a feeder leagues

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:07 pm
You can switch editor mode by clicking INvicta say their not a feeder leagues  Button10
Dorch
Dorch

INvicta say their not a feeder leagues  Empty Re: INvicta say their not a feeder leagues

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:11 pm
Didnt read but i already know that Invicta feeded a whole packed division to the UFC . There is no argument that can change that.
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:15 pm
Yeah this is all bullshit

You came to a deal to basically sell your whole 115 division?

Yeah just like you have a deal to give ufc alls your talent and snipe other wmma promotions suckit.
SRC
SRC

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:23 pm
Tbh it's a niche organization that is doing very well. As long as young women are coming into MMA they have the ability to grow stars. A woman is more likely to join an all female organization, than one where she has to compete with getting men on the card.
kayneoTheRisingWarrior
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:25 pm
comment from fan who know they plan one step head
It’s pretty obvious that Zuffa has been helping to fund Invicta’s shows whether the people involved want to admit it publicly or not. She’s done a great job of helping to get the lady fighters more exposure and she’ll do a fine job as vp of wmma talent relations

by Stealthbomb89 on Dec 12, 2013 | 4:25 PM up reply
My understanding is that Janet Martin was an heiress with money from the Purell corporation
She was the money behind it. Now the UFC apparently is the money behind it. They may be going to Showtime as soon as 1st quarter net year though at which point they’d be the money behind it.
[/u
]

by Chromium on Dec 12, 2013 | 4:46 PM up reply

Short term good... but we've seen this before
Unless there’s something going on in the back room with Invicta and the UFC, as there allegedly is with the UFC and WSOF, I don’t see how this is in anyone’s long term interest, other than Zuffa’s.

I will forever be a fan of true martial artists, fewer arbitrary rules, and anyone seeking to advance the sport as a whole, rather than a single brand or promotion.
by bluesdealer o

Not if Zuffa just became a minority partner.
Fighters are only as good as their last fight. Fans are only as knowledgeable as the last card.
by DocCassidy on Dec 12, 2013 | 12:02 PM up reply

With this, RFA, and WSOF
It makes you wonder if, in addition to having a large majority share of top ten MMA talent, nearly a monopoly even, will the balance of power in the MMA world be even further tilted with the existence of “feeder promotions” who have back room agreements with Zuffa, and play the role of puppets, vs. promotions who are actually interested in competing.

The business with WSOF is intriguing, since Zuffa is allegedly colluding with them in a proxy war against Bellator, or anyone else to doesn’t bow to the UFC.

[u]In other areas of business, that’s a clear violation of the Sherman Act

I will forever be a fan of true martial artists, fewer arbitrary rules, and anyone seeking to advance the sport as a whole, rather than a single brand or promotion.

The unfortunate reality
Is short of a couple of different billionaires deciding to start a promotion and throw money into it, every other organization other than the UFC has to accept they are in some way a niche or feeder organization. Invicta is unique in that they’ll never be a direct competitor and both organizations will benefit from a symbiotic relationship. IFC scouts the talent, builds the weight class, they graduate to the UFC and both orgs have validation. Fighters will flock to IFC even more as it’s now known that the UFC is the next step.

Same with WSOF. They can easily have good cards, good exposure, pick up UFC talent and be a feeder. Fighter flock to them over Bellator knowing the UFC is the next step. RFA has already said as much.

So, this can be a win for everyone involved.
adam
adam

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:08 pm
lol! of course they said that.

Invicta may be the most obvious one.

Like fka said, they basically sold an entire division.
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:36 pm
kayneoTheRisingWarrior wrote:comment from fan who know they plan one step head
It’s pretty obvious that Zuffa has been helping to fund Invicta’s shows whether the people involved want to admit it publicly or not. She’s done a great job of helping to get the lady fighters more exposure and she’ll do a fine job as vp of wmma talent relations

by Chromium on Dec 12, 2013

Links to these posters???
kayneoTheRisingWarrior
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:49 pm
Dagwood wrote:
kayneoTheRisingWarrior wrote:comment from fan who know they plan one step head

Link???
well i don't know dagood because i haven't check.
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:54 pm
http://www.ftc.gov/search/site/collusion

About the Federal Trade Commisson 

INvicta say their not a feeder leagues  Ftc-history-horse_320x130

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is an independent agency of the United States government, established in 1914 by the Federal Trade Commission Act. Its principal mission is the promotion of consumer protection and the elimination and prevention of anticompetitive business practices, such as coercive monopoly. The Federal Trade Commission Act was one of President Woodrow Wilson's major acts against trusts. Trusts and trust-busting were significant political concerns during the Progressive Era. Since its inception, the FTC has enforce

d the provisions of the Clayton Act, a key antitrust statute, as well as the provisions of the FTC Act, 15 U.S.C. § 41 et seq. Over time, the FTC has been delegated the enforcement of additional business regulation statutes and has promulgated a number of regulations (codified in Title 16 of the Code of Federal Regulations).

[size=`14]OUR MISSION[/size]
To prevent business practices that are anticompetitive or deceptive or unfair to consumers; to enhance informed consumer choice and public understanding of the competitive process; and to accomplish this without unduly burdening legitimate business activity.

OUR VISION
A U.S. economy characterized by vigorous competition among producers and consumer access to accurate information, yielding high-quality products at low prices and encouraging efficiency, innovation, and consumer choice.
OUR STRATEGIC GOALS

1. Protect Consumers: Prevent fraud, deception, and unfair business practices in the marketplace.
  2. Maintain Competition: Prevent anticompetitive mergers and other anticompetitive business practices in the marketplace.
  3. Advance Performance: Advance the FTC’s performance through organizational, individual, and management excellence.

HOW FTC BENEFITS CONSUMERS 

As a consumer or business person, you may be more familiar with the work of the Federal Trade Commission than you think. The FTC deals with issues that touch the economic life of every American.
The FTC is the only federal agency with both consumer protection and competition jurisdiction in broad sectors of the economy. The FTC pursues vigorous and effective law enforcement; advances consumers’ interests by sharing its expertise with federal and state legislatures and U.S. and international government agencies; develops policy and research tools through hearings, workshops, and conferences; and creates practical and plain-language educational programs for consumers and businesses in a global marketplace with constantly changing technologies. FTC’s work is performed by the Bureaus of Consumer ProtectionCompetition and Economics. That work is aided by the Office of General Counsel and seven regional officesLearn more about the FTC's Competition mission...
History of the FTC

When the FTC was created in 1914, its purpose was to prevent unfair methods of competition in commerce as part of the battle to “bust the trusts.” Over the years, Congress passed additional laws giving the agency greater authority to police anticompetitive practices. In 1938, Congress passed a broad prohibition against “unfair and deceptive acts or practices.” Since then, the Commission also has been directed to administer a wide variety of other consumer protection laws, including the Telemarketing Sales Rule, the Pay-Per-Call Rule and the Equal Credit Opportunity Act. In 1975, Congress gave the FTC the authority to adopt industry-wide trade regulation rules.
fka
fka

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:56 pm
Just read all the new straw weights are getting.g paid 40,ooo for debut in octagon.

Wtf more then Diaz got?

Ufc makes no fucking sense sometimes.
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:27 pm
LMAO who are they kidding!
mmaonthereg

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:55 am
Invicta sold the fighters to the ufc to increase the value of their internal video catalog. Since Invicta owns the rights to their event videos, the quality of past fights (to rerun or highlight) is of utmost importance when negotiating a new tv deal. By selling those girls to the ufc, knapp increased the value of her past invicta footage exponentially. This was all about putting Invicta in position to make millions more off the next tv deal. Everything else is coincidental bullshit.
KSW
KSW

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:00 am
mmaonthereg wrote:Invicta sold the fighters to the ufc to increase the value of their internal video catalog. Since Invicta owns the rights to their event videos, the quality of past fights (to rerun or highlight) is of utmost importance when negotiating a new tv deal. By selling those girls to the ufc, knapp increased the value of her past invicta footage exponentially. This was all about putting Invicta in position to make millions more off the next tv deal. Everything else is coincidental bullshit.
Don´t you think all the top girls from the Invicta roster will go to the UFC sooner or later? I think so and that makes them a feeder league.
KSW
KSW

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:01 am
@ mmaonthereg welcome to G-MMA by the way  INvicta say their not a feeder leagues  469908358 
mmaonthereg

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:05 am
I think team invicta is worried about their next tv deal more than feeder league status. They prob think with new deal money, they will be able to grow invicta and blossom it into the premier women's mma promotion. It won't happen, but that's what they are hoping for.
KSW
KSW

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:08 am
mmaonthereg wrote:I think team invicta is worried about their next tv deal more than feeder league status. They prob think with new deal money, they will be able to grow invicta and blossom it into the premier women's mma promotion.  It won't happen, but that's what they are hoping for.
I really hope they try to compete with Zuffa for top fighters. It would be great to see an all female promotion with world class athletes. I have a feeling they´re in bed with Zuffa and I´m hoping DEEP Jewels will grow and sign the top women.
mmaonthereg

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:24 am
You know I'm the first to call out zuffa, but I honestly would bet serious money that they are not in bed with invicta at this time. Invicta gained so much more than the ufc off this deal. The real $ for promotions is in selling their past fight footage to tv networks. This is why king of the cage does well. When a tv network decides to deal with a fight league, they want footage of known fighters. The better the fighters, the more people watch. The more viewers of fight reruns, the more advertisers pay to air commercials. Invicta had no negotiating power when it came to video footage because their fighters are not well known. With ufc deal n upcoming tuf exposure, invicta now has video archives of 15 fighters guaranteed to be pushed by zuffa pr machine. Invicta went from a terrible position to a great negotiating position overnight.
mmaonthereg

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:24 am
I think team invicta is worried about their next tv deal more than feeder league status. They prob think with new deal money, they will be able to grow invicta and blossom it into the premier women's mma promotion. It won't happen, but that's what they are hoping for.
adam
adam

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:52 am
KSW wrote:
mmaonthereg wrote:Invicta sold the fighters to the ufc to increase the value of their internal video catalog. Since Invicta owns the rights to their event videos, the quality of past fights (to rerun or highlight) is of utmost importance when negotiating a new tv deal. By selling those girls to the ufc, knapp increased the value of her past invicta footage exponentially. This was all about putting Invicta in position to make millions more off the next tv deal. Everything else is coincidental bullshit.
Don´t you think all the top girls from the Invicta roster will go to the UFC sooner or later? I think so and that makes them a feeder league.

This is how I see it. To me that is the very definition of a feeder league. I don't see how it could be any clearer.
KSW
KSW

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:06 am
mmaonthereg wrote:You know I'm the first to call out zuffa, but I honestly would bet serious money that they are not in bed with invicta at this time. Invicta gained so much more than the ufc off this deal. The real $ for promotions is in selling their past fight footage to tv networks. This is why king of the cage does well. When a tv network decides to deal with a fight league, they want footage of known fighters. The better the fighters, the more people watch. The more viewers of fight reruns, the more advertisers pay to air commercials. Invicta had no negotiating power when it came to video footage because their fighters are not well known. With ufc deal n upcoming tuf exposure, invicta now has video archives of 15 fighters guaranteed to be pushed by zuffa pr machine. Invicta went from a terrible position to a great negotiating position overnight.
It´s worth more to keep the good fighters than trying to increase the value of their library. Zuffa never mention fighters accomplishments in other promotions and they will soon have their own footage of the fighters. In the hype videos UFC will use interviews and training footage unless they´re working together with Invicta.
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:39 am
Invicta fucking suck. every stream of theirs is terrible.

i'm tired of womens mma ...i wish they all just go and fight in invicta and leave the proper mma to the men
kayneoTheRisingWarrior
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:06 pm
stu3ufc wrote:Invicta fucking suck. every stream of theirs is terrible.

i'm tired of womens mma ...i wish they all just go and fight in invicta and leave the proper mma to the men

i agree that they stream suck.
fka
fka

Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:52 pm
Yeah cuz selling arguably the most action packed and most marketable division full of most names you have is such a great strategy LOL.

Even if their library does gain exponential value no one is going to put a barely put together company on any network.

Invicta IS a feeder
kayneoTheRisingWarrior
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:15 pm
fka wrote:Yeah cuz selling arguably the most action packed and most marketable division full of most names you have is such a great strategy LOL.

Even if their library does gain exponential value no one is going to put a barely put together company on any network.

Invicta IS a feeder

good point INvicta say their not a feeder leagues  2750705302
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum