GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
kayneoTheRisingWarrior
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Why do most  MMA websites say that they cover MMA but only cover UFC?  Empty Why do most MMA websites say that they cover MMA but only cover UFC?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:50 pm
anonymous wrote:
Why do most  MMA websites say that they cover MMA but only cover UFC?  Anonymous_avatar_16 anonymous asks:
why do mma website say that they cover mma but only cover UFC in their forum/new?I support mma as whole & watch international world wide mma.

fearthefightergroupie wrote:
As one veteran journalist recently said to me, All big MMA websites are paid by the UFC.” Maybe it’s not an overt payment per se, but it is in the form of advertisement on the websites (cough cough MMAJunkie etc.) or tacit compliance - credentials are important as credentials equal access. You may need to go through the UFC as they will arrange access to interviews with their champs, and as a plus, Dana or Lorenzo will slip you a bit of info to “break news.”
ESPN, if you haven’t noticed, recently fired Josh Gross. I was told months ago that ESPN will be cutting MMA coverage in print/web; I didn’t realize they’d be firing their best and most senior MMA writer.
The reason is likely credentials. Gross is blacklisted and once tried to organize an MMA writers’ association to ensure adequate pay for covering the sport, and part of the negotiations was what % of one’s income could come from Zuffa. Fun fact: Ariel Helwani was at this meeting at Josh Gross’ LA loft, and threw a bitch fit, claiming he was paid by “FOX, not the UFC.” You say tomato, I say Zuffa.
On the other hand, Brett Okamoto of ESPN has maintained “proper relations” with the UFC in terms of his coverage and a few days ago, “broke” some news.
One way or another, there’s a reason why John Morgan is at every UFC event. Those ads pay for his trips. Kevin Iole is friends with Lorenzo, and is fed tips from Lorenzo Fertitta himself at times. He’s also at every UFC event. Remember when Kevin I tweeted something about Vitor Belfort only fighting in Brazil due to TRT and hash tagged #shady? Dana’s first response: “ARE YOU CALLING ME AND @LORENZOFERTITTA SHADY?” Yeah, that’s the reason he tagged Lorenzo in the tweet.
Senior Bleacher Report writers have expressed to me their limitations in covering or printing stories about fighters in other organizations.
Another interesting incident - a UFC HoF fighter once complained about an article a prominent writer printed. He was pissed the fuck off that it portrayed him in a bad light, and was so (unjustifiably) angry that he complained to the UFC brass, who then harassed the outlet. If not for this writer’s position, seniority/authority from his years of experience, ability to get credentialed, and good relationship with the editors, he would have been screwed in many ways.

As it turns out, they only pulled his article. Pulled it off the website entirely solely because of threats from the UFC - access is important, and they didn’t want to burn that bridge.
Gareth Davies is paid by the UFC. His annual pay also exceeds more than most fighters on the roster. Reading his work makes me feel like a fucking masochist because it’s THAT ABHORRENTLY AWFUL, but his UK connection makes the WORLDFUCKINGDOMINATION difference.

http://fearthefightergroupie.tumblr.com

Last edited by kayneoTheRisingWarrior on Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:58 pm; edited 13 times in total
KSW
KSW

Why do most  MMA websites say that they cover MMA but only cover UFC?  Empty Re: Why do most MMA websites say that they cover MMA but only cover UFC?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:07 pm
UFC controls the mma media and the "fans" are ok with this. This is why Global-MMA.com is very important for the mma scene. We´re the only site that covers the actual sport. I´m starting to think UFC must die completely for the sport to become legit. The oldschool UFC is dead since the day Zuffa stole it and this new creation (Zuffa FC) is the worst thing that could happen to mma.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Why do most  MMA websites say that they cover MMA but only cover UFC?  Empty Re: Why do most MMA websites say that they cover MMA but only cover UFC?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:18 pm
KSW wrote:UFC controls the mma media and the "fans" are ok with this. This is why Global-MMA.com is very important for the mma scene. We´re the only site that covers the actual sport. I´m starting to think UFC must die completely for the sport to become legit. The oldschool UFC is dead since the day Zuffa stole it and this new creation (Zuffa FC) is the worst thing that could happen to mma.

Crazy how some fans can be OK with this and actually support it. I would guess some of those fans posting have some Zuffa ties of their own.
Hamilcar
Hamilcar

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:42 am
I know Luke Thomas once said that mmafighting.com has one guy to cover Bellator. Pretty much, they hire all these guys to cover the UFC and then just like one guy to cover anything else. That is not how you cover an international sport.
But you can't blame the fans. It's hard not only to follow international mma, but even harder just to watch it. If these shows outside America would do more internet streams we could watch them. 3/4 of the stuff on this website I have no idea how to watch until someone decides to put it on youtube.
kayneoTheRisingWarrior
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:55 am
Hamilcar wrote:I know Luke Thomas once said that mmafighting.com has one guy to cover Bellator.  Pretty much, they hire all these guys to cover the UFC and then just like one guy to cover anything else.  That is not how you cover an international sport.  
But you can't blame the fans.  It's hard not only to follow international mma, but even harder just to watch it.  If these shows outside America would do more internet streams we could watch them.  3/4 of the stuff on this website I have no idea how to watch until someone decides to put it on youtube.  

Back then when there were lot of promotion you have to a hardcore fan or find other way to  keep up of watch all those interantional mma/other region promotion.

fearthefightergroupie is right about MMA media websites are to blame.
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:05 am
Hamilcar wrote:I know Luke Thomas once said that mmafighting.com has one guy to cover Bellator.  Pretty much, they hire all these guys to cover the UFC and then just like one guy to cover anything else.  That is not how you cover an international sport.  
But you can't blame the fans.  It's hard not only to follow international mma, but even harder just to watch it.  If these shows outside America would do more internet streams we could watch them.  3/4 of the stuff on this website I have no idea how to watch until someone decides to put it on youtube.  

man what a fucking joke..... If they covered other orgs then maybe hardcore UFC fans would get into a Bellator, a KSW, a DREAM or an M-1 event.. You know what got me into PRIDE FC? was receiving a magazine called Full Contact Fighter and seeing their reports on PRIDE FC and other MMA orgs.

instead they give the smaller guys 0 fucking coverage and generate 0 interest ... MMA NEWS? NO UFCCIRCLEJERK.COM

if you educate people on other orgs their more likely inclined to check up on it like myself

Can you guess that the majority of headlines on all the "MMA" sites are about? Their all about what Dana White just said at a press conference or media scrum.....not about the fights or the fighters....it's about dana fucking white....He is the sport in the U.S

Last edited by stu3ufc on Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
wekka
wekka

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:44 am
Gareth Davies makes more than most fighters? Good god...that's terrible.
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:52 am
wekka wrote:Gareth Davies makes more than most fighters? Good god...that's terrible.

He just went to the right school and had the right ties in the media

he's still a piece of shit who knows nothing....

he'd be covering Cricket if he was told too

Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:22 pm
delete

Last edited by mmainamerica on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:09 am
mmainamerica wrote:I use to run a site, I received decent coverage and views mmainamerica but once google took away my ads, it didnt make sense for me to keep site going. I did some decent interviews and covered mma outside of Zuffa.

Nice. What was the site called?

Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:00 am
delete

Last edited by mmainamerica on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:33 am
mmainamerica wrote:mmainamerica

What are the chances?

Why do most  MMA websites say that they cover MMA but only cover UFC?  Mind-blown-thumb
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:48 pm
LOL
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum