GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MR.WILLIE

Lee “American Bulldog” Morrison Ready to Bring M1 Global Featherweight Title Home From Hostile Territory  Empty Lee “American Bulldog” Morrison Ready to Bring M1 Global Featherweight Title Home From Hostile Territory

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:18 pm
At 13-3 in his seven-year pro career, Lee “The American Bulldog” Morrison is currently riding an 8 fight win streak heading into his M-1 Global Featherweight Championship bout this April 4th against reigning champion (and hometown favorite) Marat Gafurov.

As a fighter, a teacher, a coach, a newlywed, and a currently transitioning family man, Morrison has a full plate leading into his five round title fight against one of the baddest Ukrainians alive. However, he wouldn’t want it any other way, being a guy who can appreciate having multiple avenues of success in life.

I caught up with “The American Bulldog” to learn more, so I can introduce you to one of the sport’s most promising athletes and a sure-to-be fan favorite. Highlights include the rear naked choke that got him hooked on mma, the origins of his nickname, traveling halfway across the globe to fight one of Russia’s hometown favorites, and more.
How did you end up being a cage fighter?

“I got into MMA my freshman year of college. I was wrestling in Idaho and in the middle of the season I had a buddy get a hold of me and ask me if I wanted to compete in an amateur bout. I didn’t really have a great understanding of the sport at the time, but I was in shape and was pretty fearless at the time, so ‘I said why not?’ I showed up at the venue and waited until I was matched up with an opponent. I competed and I won a first round rear naked choke, and from that point I was hooked.”

“I started training and I just loved it, the practice of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, of Muay Thai kickboxing, I loved it all. I was falling in love with the sport of mixed martial arts so I continued to train and develop. I had multiple more amateur fights, and ended up wrestling down in California and began training there. That’s where the pro trigger kicked off and 15 fights later here I am.”

I understand you’re a teacher also, so how do you balance two full time jobs?
“It’s ridiculous, so I’m actually at the State Wrestling Meet right now as a coach, so I coach too. It’s pretty tricky finding time to do everything. I’m actually a substitute teacher right now, I’m going back for my masters degree which starts in about a month after my next fight. Between being a married man, coaching, teaching, and trying to find time for a five round title fight it’s hectic, that’s for sure. But the more options the better at this point in my life, so I’m doing good.”
Do you want to transition into fighting full time?

“I’m a thinker man, I’m always running stuff through my head. At this point in my life I’m 28 and I know I have light years to improve, the sky is the limit so I’ll keep rolling with it.. But I just got married this past Fall and I guess you can say I’m starting to become a family man, hopefully with kids in the next year or two. But I’m going to keep this win streak going.”
“I’m not just doing this for a paycheck, I’m trying to be the best in the world. When I reach the point where I don’t feel I’m in top contention any longer I can call it quits and have the memories.”

“As of right now my game plan is to keep trucking away with all of it. Ultimately my goal is to snag an open job as a PE teacher and that’s the front runner on my list. I want to be able to wake up every morning with a smile on my face and know I’m doing something great for the youth, myself and the community. Having a steady paycheck and working in a PE position is ideal for me transitioning from wrestling.”

Can you tell us how you got your nickname, and how ironic is it that the school you teach at has the same mascot?
“When I started training at the Lion’s Den, I had a few fighters just tell me I look like a little bulldog based on my build and the way I moved around. When I got to my second or third amateur fight and everyone has nicknames, it just made a lot of sense and it’s catchy.”

“Another back story is I was originally planning to be an Army Ranger until I got the call to wrestle in college, so that overrode my decision. I guess you can say I have red white and blue running through my veins. I’ve also got a couple tattoos that fit it.”

What was it like competing in Russia in front of a hometown favorite?
“Going to Russia and fighting one of their hometown studs was pretty tricky, a lot of nerves. It was my first time cutting to 145, and you know that extra pound really makes a difference. I also had some training issues leading into the fight, and mentally and physically broke down for multiple reasons. But, I’ve fine-tuned those issues and I’ll be good to go this fight.”
“Traveling and flying ridiculous amounts of hours and the communication barrier of only knowing a couple of words was tough. But the promoter helped me out and all in all it was a great experience.”

Given Russia’s reputation, were you ever worried or nervous that something would happen if you beat their hometown guy?
“It was more of the unknown factor. You’re in an unfamiliar place. You have no friends besides my corner man that flew in late due to visa issues. For the most part every thing was good, they actually had us fly out only a couple hours after the fight. I think they were more concerned than I was.”

What are your long term goals?
“I have 5 fights left on my contract, so I want to win the title and defend it four times. Then hopefully I’ll get a new contract or if not or a new opportunity presents itself, like the UFC, I’d love to fight the top guys in the world. Like I said I’m not doing this solely for a paycheck, but to see how great I can become.
“I’m definitely looking to be the best in the world and if I can reach that awesome, if not, I can say I gave it my all and transition on to the next phase of my life.”

Lee Morrison would like to thank:
“My manager Jason Ellis is doing amazing things for me, he’s opening doors and opportunities that I wouldn’t be able to do on my own, that’s for sure. I have a couple local sponsors back home, one is Hometown Pizza, they hook me up with all the food I can handle and then some. They have the best salad bar and I usually get sub sandwiches there. Alkame Water, Rev Gear, Unique Kennels, Lexani, RBP, Intensity Nutrition, Amber Sports, MMA Overload, and Pugut Computer and Sound Repair. Also, Okanogan Valley Chiropratic, Sicilia Chiropractic out of Spokane, and Jeff with Klench custom mouth guards, he’s been with me since day one. There’s a whole bunch and more in the making. I really appreciate them.”
Follow Lee on Twitter: @145lbBulldog

FightParrot.com
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum