GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Sonatine
Sonatine

Former WSOF title challenger Josh Burkman signs new deal with UFC Empty Former WSOF title challenger Josh Burkman signs new deal with UFC

Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:33 pm
Just a month ago, Josh Burkman had a new three-fight deal with WSOF and told MMAjunkie he was glad to be staying with the promotion.

Today, he’s back in the UFC for the first time since 2008.

Burkman (27-10 MMA, 5-5 UFC, after going 9-2 outside the UFC since his release, is back with the company. UFC President Dana White tweeted a photo of Burkman signing a new contract on Friday afternoon.

WSOF officials did not immediately respond to request for comment on Burkman’s move to the UFC.

“I’ve put those issues (with WSOF) behind me, and I know I’m on board,” Burkman told MMAjunkie in early September. “If I wasn’t happy with World Series of Fighting and the direction they’re going, I wouldn’t have signed this new three-fight deal. I know we’re going to do great things with World Series of fighting. I want the belt, and I’ll put all the previous issues behind me.”

Earlier this year, Burkman was critical of the way WSOF handled his contract.

Burkman was expected to face Jon Fitch earlier this year, but injury forced Burkman to withdraw. He hoped to return later this year and work his way toward a shot at WSOF’s welterweight title.

“I think some big things are on the horizon,” Burkman told MMAjunkie a month ago. “I’m 34 years old, and I don’t know how long I have left. But I feel that this is the best time of my life, and I need to capitalize on it as best as I can.”

Now he’ll try to capitalize on it in the UFC. No first matchup for him has been announced, and it’s not known how soon he’ll be back in the octagon.

Burkman fought on Season 2 of “The Ultimate Fighter” and won his official UFC debut at the TUF 2 Finale when he knocked out Sammy Morgan. He followed that up with a submission win over Drew Fickett before a submission loss to Fitch.

He picked up decision wins over Josh Neer and Chad Reiner before losing a decision to Karo Parisyan. After a split-decision win over Forrest Petz at UFC 77, he dropped three straight to Mike Swick, Dustin Hazelett and Pete Sell, and the UFC sent him packing.

But he went 5-1 for regional promotions before signing with WSOF, where he won three straight at WSOF 1, 2 and 3 – including a rematch with Fitch, where he avenged his earlier loss by choking him unconscious early in the fight.

Burkman lost a welterweight title fight to Steve Carl after that, but he rebounded with a knockout of Tyler Stinson in March in what now will stand as his final WSOF fight.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/10/former-wsof-title-challenger-josh-burkman-signs-new-deal-with-ufc

World Series Of Feeder keep on taking the worst actions. First Johnson, then Arlovski and now Burkman. But I saw this coming nonetheless. Next person to go is Justin Gaethje.
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Former WSOF title challenger Josh Burkman signs new deal with UFC Empty Re: Former WSOF title challenger Josh Burkman signs new deal with UFC

Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:27 pm
Good for him but IMO Lombard wrecks him
Rocksoldier84
Rocksoldier84

Former WSOF title challenger Josh Burkman signs new deal with UFC Empty Re: Former WSOF title challenger Josh Burkman signs new deal with UFC

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:06 pm
First Karakhanyan and now Burkman. I believe many are starting to question WSOF's future at this point.
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:53 pm
Average fighter, average division.
fka
fka

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 pm
I think its more wsof living up to what it is.....a feeder

Guys used wsof to get a second chance in ufc or first made themselves more attractive to zuffa by getting wins then signed right over.

Hey sefo where you at??? All that wsof is working hard to keep talent and they aren't a zuffa feeder ?

Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:12 pm
fka wrote:I think its more wsof living up to what it is.....a feeder

Guys used wsof to get a second chance in ufc or first made themselves more attractive to zuffa by getting wins then signed right over.

Hey sefo where you at??? All that wsof is working hard to keep talent and they aren't a zuffa feeder ?

Nobody can take on UFC.
fka
fka

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:30 pm
Especially when your not actually going against anyone.....

Wsof is working with ufc ...but says otherwise lmao
Hamilcar
Hamilcar

Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:06 pm
What's the difference? Either way, he's working for Zuffa.
Rocksoldier84
Rocksoldier84

Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:10 pm
And it's getting impossible to deny it. I can understand if WSOF were losing guys when their deals expired and couldn't afford them but they're just releasing these guys from their contracts. I understand that these promoters out there don't want to go to war with Zuffa but at least have your fighter fulfill their contract obligations instead of being a fighter shopping center.
fka
fka

Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:29 am
Yeah seriously ...

What's more pathetic is you have sefo coming out saying there is no zuffa out clause in wsof .....

LMFAO yeah because they don't need one you just let fighters go while still under contract...
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum