GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
God of Thunder
God of Thunder

Wladimir Klitschko to fight again in NYC Empty Wladimir Klitschko to fight again in NYC

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:13 pm
Wladimir Klitschko to fight again in NYC Usa-today-6736242.0

Wladimir will be making his 18th title defense on April 25th at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY. This will be his first fight in America in almost seven years, after his last complete and utter snoozefest at Madison Square Garden against Sultan Ibragimov. This also marks the second of his three-fight contract with HBO. No official opponent has been named at this time, but it looks like it will be Bryant Jennings who ultimately gets the call, and ESPN suggests the negotiations will be finalized within the next couple of weeks.

"The fight will be at the Barclays Center and we are very, very pleased," Bernd Boente, Klitschko's manager, told ESPN.com on Wednesday night. "The contract is not signed yet but we have a handshake deal and we are getting everything finalized. It's a really good deal for both sides. We are all looking forward to a big event."

"The Barclays offer was better (than Madison Square Garden's)," Boente said. "We really like the people at the Garden. I really like Joel Fisher (executive vice president of MSG Sports). We had fights with Wladimir and (older brother) Vitali there, but the overall cooperation is better with Barclays. They are putting huge marketing money into this and that is important."

If the Jennings negotiations happen to fall through, he'll still fight on that day at the Barclays, but they'll just swap in some other opponent (who probably won't be very highly rated).

http://www.badlefthook.com/2014/12/18/7415893/wladimir-klitschko-to-fight-again-in-nyc
God of Thunder
God of Thunder

Wladimir Klitschko to fight again in NYC Empty Re: Wladimir Klitschko to fight again in NYC

Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:26 am
Will Wlad be dethroned anytime soon?
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Wladimir Klitschko to fight again in NYC Empty Re: Wladimir Klitschko to fight again in NYC

Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:07 am
Golden Age wrote:Will Wlad be dethroned anytime soon?

I think it will be a while before he loses.

Even if he does lose I don't think it will be in this upcoming match with Bryant Jennings.

The winner of the January 17th fight between Deontay Wilder and Bermane Stiverne could make for an interesting matchup with Wlad.

nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:01 am
A guy like Anthony Joshua might beat Wlad a couple years down the line.

I don't see anyone beating him in the foreseeable future though.

He's getting up there in age. He's probably bound to slow down.

I just don't see anyone who's going to beat him though on the scene.

I think that he's on a legitimate run to break Joe Louis' record for heavyweight title defenses (28).
wekka
wekka

Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:17 pm
After the Perez fight, I don't think Jennings needs to take this fight quite yet.
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:28 pm
I agree wekka.

Jennings may deserve the fight in terms of rankings but he's not ready for Wlad.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum