GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Judge rules against Zuffa (Dismisses UFC Lawsuit on NY MMA Ban)

+6
nhbnews
Adax
Rocksoldier84
TeamJohnPerretti
Heretic
stu3ufc
10 posters
Go down
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Judge rules against Zuffa (Dismisses UFC Lawsuit on NY MMA Ban) Empty Judge rules against Zuffa (Dismisses UFC Lawsuit on NY MMA Ban)

Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:29 am
A federal court in New York has ruled against the largest mixed martial arts (MMA) promoter in the country, holding that UFC and its owner, Zuffa LLC are not yet in a position to challenge New York's ban on MMA. As a result, MMA remains illegal in New York.

In 1997, New York enacted a ban on professional MMA. After the sport grew into the mainstream, the UFC, plus a group of fighters, trainers, gym owners and fans that it put together, filed a federal lawsuit in 2011 challenging the constitutionality of the ban. The case had been dismissed piece by piece in prior opinions, but in a ruling issued today, Judge Kimba Wood terminated the entire case by granting summary judgment in New York's favor.

Judge Wood ruled that UFC and Zuffa do not have standing to challenge New York's position because it was never threatened with prosecution for violating the ban, nor was it otherwise injured by the New York law. According to Judge Wood, potentially lost profits were not enough to give UFC/Zuffa standing to sue: "Zuffa’s briefing emphasizes that before this lawsuit began, the company refrained from involvement with professional MMA in New York because of its concerns about the ban. Its decision to refrain from economic activity, however, is not alone sufficient to demonstrate an injury in fact in this case," wrote Judge Wood.

If UFC/Zuffa wishes to continue its fight to legalize MMA in New York, it can appeal the ruling or lobby state legislators, efforts that have so far been unsuccessful. Judge Wood suggested a third avenue, which is try to stage an MMA event, and when some actual consequences are suffered, re-file the case in state court. Judge Wood's ruling ended with the following advice: "Plaintiffs, particularly Zuffa, may consider filing new vagueness claims based on events that occurred after this lawsuit..." The Court advises Plaintiffs to weigh the merits of a new federal suit against those of a state declaratory judgment action, given that the latter —unlike a federal decision on vagueness grounds— could decisively settle disputes regarding the Ban’s scope.
Heretic
Heretic

Judge rules against Zuffa (Dismisses UFC Lawsuit on NY MMA Ban) Empty Re: Judge rules against Zuffa (Dismisses UFC Lawsuit on NY MMA Ban)

Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:40 am
Rolling LMAO Zuffa still can't get in to New York

a very good thing.... i cringe at the thought of a UFC event at Madison square garden
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Judge rules against Zuffa (Dismisses UFC Lawsuit on NY MMA Ban) Empty Re: Judge rules against Zuffa (Dismisses UFC Lawsuit on NY MMA Ban)

Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:55 am
Bigger than soccer
Heretic
Heretic

Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:09 am
bigger then the NFL Judge rules against Zuffa (Dismisses UFC Lawsuit on NY MMA Ban) 2266763299
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:06 am
'I cringe at the thought of a UFC event at Madison square garden'.

- Heretic

I agree.
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:07 am
Heretic wrote:bigger then the NFL Judge rules against Zuffa (Dismisses UFC Lawsuit on NY MMA Ban) 2266763299

Bigger than Harry Potter movie series
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:17 am
Dana can't talk now...he's busy taking over the world.
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:39 am
TeamJohnPerretti wrote:Dana can't talk now...he's busy taking over the world.

Judge rules against Zuffa (Dismisses UFC Lawsuit on NY MMA Ban) Addtex10
Rocksoldier84
Rocksoldier84

Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:42 am
stu3ufc wrote:
Heretic wrote:bigger then the NFL Judge rules against Zuffa (Dismisses UFC Lawsuit on NY MMA Ban) 2266763299

Bigger than Harry Potter movie series

Not as big as the Avengers though.
Adax

Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:00 pm
The youeffsee is dying the slowest death and I am loving it.
nhbnews
nhbnews
The Godfather of MMA Media
http://eddiegoldman.com

Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:04 pm
Zuffa is headed for financial collapse, so look for them to try to unload it on some money mark in Asia or Europe.

http://www.zuffainvestoralerts.org/2015/03/what-moodys-tells-us-about-zuffa.html
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:21 pm
^^^^Today is a great day for mma. Beautiful.

On the other hand today is a bad day for the low class cage wrasslin supporters. I love it.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:46 pm
^Plus, Sakakibara is planning his return to JMMA in 2015 in partnership with Bellator. They plan on having a cross-promoted event in Japan this fall. If they have the ring, the PRIDE rules, and the production, this is the best MMA news in 8 years!

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/04/scott-coker-former-pride-boss-nobuyuki-sakakibara-planning-mma-return-in-2015
God of Thunder
God of Thunder

Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:26 pm
nhbnews wrote:Zuffa is headed for financial collapse, so look for them to try to unload it on some money mark in Asia or Europe.

http://www.zuffainvestoralerts.org/2015/03/what-moodys-tells-us-about-zuffa.html
I love it. When Zuffa fails in the US they´ll fail all over the world no matter how hard they try.
westcott123
westcott123

Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:00 pm
CDF47 wrote:^Plus, Sakakibara is planning his return to JMMA in 2015 in partnership with Bellator.  They plan on having a cross-promoted event in Japan this fall.  If they have the ring, the PRIDE rules, and the production, this is the best MMA news in 8 years!

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/04/scott-coker-former-pride-boss-nobuyuki-sakakibara-planning-mma-return-in-2015

Wow let's hope that is the case and yes he better use the ring and pride rules though I have funny feeling he won't . But if he does it would make me love mma again . Is there any proof that sakakibarra has connections with organised crime or is it just hear say ?
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:51 pm
'Zuffa is headed for financial collapse'.
- nhbnews

I will throw a huge party when this happens.
Hamilcar
Hamilcar

Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:28 pm
What's the run down on the real reason MMA is banned in New York? Because I remember reading here somewhere that it is not because it is 'human cockfighting' or something, but rather due to some kind of rivalry against the Fertitas or something.

nhbnews wrote:Zuffa is headed for financial collapse, so look for them to try to unload it on some money mark in Asia or Europe.

This is awesome news. The question now is who will buy them out.

Also on that website: http://www.zuffainvestoralerts.org/2015/04/ufc-store-koed-at-mccarran-international-airport.html A UFC store closed at an airport. The small town retail chain I used to work at literaly made more money than that UFC store in a single location.
nhbnews
nhbnews
The Godfather of MMA Media
http://eddiegoldman.com

Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:10 am
It was banned in 1997 because it was marketed as being unrestricted violence, "There are no rules!" "The most dangerous sport", etc. Sheldon Silver was speaker of the Assembly even then, since 1994. He and many other politicians in NY just hated it, even those who liked boxing. Silver was only relieved of that role this year after being arrested on corruption charges. Fertitta didn't even own it then, and was opposed to MMA at the time.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:10 pm
westcott123 wrote:
CDF47 wrote:^Plus, Sakakibara is planning his return to JMMA in 2015 in partnership with Bellator.  They plan on having a cross-promoted event in Japan this fall.  If they have the ring, the PRIDE rules, and the production, this is the best MMA news in 8 years!

Wow let's hope that is the case and yes he better use the ring and pride rules though I have funny feeling he won't . But if he does it would make me love mma again . Is there any proof that sakakibarra has connections with organised crime or is it just hear say ?

If it's a cage org. then forget it. Nearly every org. is a cage org. now.
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:02 pm
CDF47 wrote:If it's a cage org. then forget it.  Nearly every org. is a cage org. now.

Ultimate Championship Cage Wrasslin needs to go. The unified rules and the cage are bad news.

Judge rules against Zuffa (Dismisses UFC Lawsuit on NY MMA Ban) 4178444241
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:15 am
TeamJohnPerretti wrote:
CDF47 wrote:If it's a cage org. then forget it.  Nearly every org. is a cage org. now.

Ultimate Championship Cage Wrasslin needs to go. The unified rules and the cage are bad news.

Yeah, MMA is all the same now. Hopefully a PRIDE like org. is revived soon.
westcott123
westcott123

Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:56 am
CDF47 wrote:
TeamJohnPerretti wrote:

Yeah, MMA is all the same now.  Hopefully a PRIDE like org. is revived soon.

I wonder what they would name it my opinion he should revive dream FC that is the closet thing to pride that we had before it shut down . If he can off course
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:35 am
westcott123 wrote:
CDF47 wrote:
TeamJohnPerretti wrote:

I wonder what they would name it my opinion he should revive dream FC that is the closet thing to pride that we had  before it shut down . If he can off course

I agree...DREAM was a good name. Hopefully they can use that.
Rocksoldier84
Rocksoldier84

Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:30 am
westcott123 wrote:
CDF47 wrote:
TeamJohnPerretti wrote:

I wonder what they would name it my opinion he should revive dream FC that is the closet thing to pride that we had  before it shut down . If he can off course

I love DREAM. I would love to see it back. It had the PRIDE feel and the best theme song.
westcott123
westcott123

Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:04 pm
Rocksoldier84 wrote:
westcott123 wrote:
CDF47 wrote:
TeamJohnPerretti wrote:

I love DREAM. I would love to see it back. It had the PRIDE feel and the best theme song.

That's my hope zuffa not going to sell pride we know that dream is the next best thing or sengoku .though I prefer dream
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum