GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Hamilcar
Hamilcar

Gennady Golovkin vs Willie Monroe Jr set for May 16 Empty Gennady Golovkin vs Willie Monroe Jr set for May 16

Tue May 05, 2015 12:21 am
Gennady Golovkin vs Willie Monroe Jr set for May 16 Golovkinmonroe-a316

Bad Left Hook
By Scott Christ

Gennady Golovkin is not even a month removed from a dominant win in Monte Carlo over Martin Murray, and he's already got his next fight date set, as Golovkin and Willie Monroe Jr have agreed to a May 16 fight on HBO.

This news isn't going to get many people excited, but it's a tough situation. A lot of top middleweights simply are not aiming for fights with Golovkin, and that has been the case for years. Some have taken the chance -- Murray, Daniel Geale, Marco Antonio Rubio -- but we've seen guys like Sergio Martinez, Felix Sturm, and Hassan N'dam steered clear of Golovkin for years now, since before he was a commodity or a U.S. TV guy at all. It now appears Miguel Cotto is in no rush to fight GGG, and other top names at 160 -- Peter Quillin, Andy Lee, etc. -- are fighting each other.

Monroe (19-1, 6 KO) is not going to be seen as any sort of threat to Golovkin, if we're totally honest. He's a decent fighter, the winner of the 2014 middleweight Boxcino tournament, but on paper is miles away from Golovkin's level. He deserves credit for at least being willing to fight the man, but it's not a matchup that is going to have people waiting in anticipation.

Monroe will have a four-inch reach advantage in the fight, though, and he is a southpaw. So if you're looking for angles to talk yourself into him having a chance, start there.

The main draw for this fight is the date, as the fight will take place three weeks after Klitschko-Jennings, two weeks after Mayweather-Pacquiao, and one week after Canelo Alvarez fights James Kirkland on HBO, making for a full four weeks of big name fights that HBO is either airing or has a hand in putting together.

Golovkin (32-0, 29 KO) may simply be out of even slightly compelling options as a middleweight, and though it's never an easy thing to demand a fighter move up in weight, Golovkin may not find anything interesting until he makes a move to 168, where he may at least face more fighters who are able to deal with his power.

Is it time for Golovkin to move up in weight and look for serious challenges?
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Gennady Golovkin vs Willie Monroe Jr set for May 16 Empty Re: Gennady Golovkin vs Willie Monroe Jr set for May 16

Tue May 05, 2015 2:11 am
GGG is by far the most exciting athlete in combat sports right now.

He should defeat Monroe Jr. pretty easily but im still really looking forward to this fight.
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Gennady Golovkin vs Willie Monroe Jr set for May 16 Empty Re: Gennady Golovkin vs Willie Monroe Jr set for May 16

Tue May 05, 2015 2:39 am
GGG = awesome
Heretic
Heretic

Tue May 05, 2015 7:04 pm
GGG is the future of boxing
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Tue May 05, 2015 7:50 pm
Next weekend. Can't wait.

It's always a treat to watch GGG in action.
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Thu May 07, 2015 10:04 am
While not looking past Willie Monroe Jr. on May 16 at the Forum in Los Angeles, WBA middleweight champion Gennady ‘GGG’ Golovkin reaffirmed that he would be more than happy to go down to 154 pounds for a mega-fight with Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather. “Of course, it’s my dream fight,” said GGG. “Obviously, Floyd, he is a great champion, and a little bit different style. Floyd, he’s a smart guy. He does a lot of moving. For my style, a little bit different. I like drama show. I like real fight, like close fight. I want show. Big show. Big drama show!”

Asked if he would bring that big drama show if he were to get a fight with Mayweather, Golovkin responded “Absolutely!”

As for his opinion on Mayweather-Pacquiao, Golovkin commented, “Everybody wanted the fight for the last five years. I think Floyd’s too smart. This is Floyd’s style; he doesn’t take too many shots. Floyd’s too smart, he’s a great boxer, he’s number one in the world. Pacquiao, I think he loses control of the fight. He could not do anything against Floyd. Pacquiao is very good, but it was a very smart fight for Floyd.”

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/golovkin-wants-big-drama-show-against-mayweather-289629
Hamilcar
Hamilcar

Sun May 10, 2015 10:26 pm
Roman Gonzalez vs Edgar Sosa will also be on this card.
-----------

HBO / BoxNation (UK) / Main Event PPV (AUS), 10:00 pm EST, Gennady Golovkin vs Willie Monroe Jr, Roman Gonzalez vs Edgar Sosa. If you loved the one-sided action of Canelo-Kirkland, wait until you get a load of Golovkin-Monroe! Or maybe not, since Monroe actually moves and can box. But I think we all know what we're getting with this, whether it's in round three or round 12. The best reason to tune in is not GGG, who is always a good reason to tune in, but Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez, who is the only active fighter with the resumé and skills to have a serious argument against Floyd Mayweather as the best P4P fighter in the sport today. BLH will have live coverage.

By Scott Christ via Bad Left Hook
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sun May 10, 2015 10:50 pm
What a ridiculous article.

This is a card of 2 complete and utter mismatches.

Canelo-Kirkland was not pure one-sided action.

These two fights will be though.

Roman Gonzales supposedly considered a p4p top fighter now? He's good and all, but he is nowhere near the conversation. His competition is lacking, among other things. Gennady Golovkin is much more so in the conversation.

This is frankly a boring card. If you just want to see two guys get knocked out, it's one to watch. But there is literally no intrigue involved with this card, whatsoever.
kayneoTheRisingWarrior
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Mon May 11, 2015 9:52 pm
iforgotmypassword
iforgotmypassword

Wed May 13, 2015 9:15 am
GGG has style, class and grace. A true gentleman of sport.
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Wed May 13, 2015 8:19 pm
“I am sure Tony is going to have Willie in good shape. We are looking for a tough, tough fight. Willie is going to do his best and Gennady will do his best to put on a great show,” Golovkin’s trainer Abel Sanchez said.

“I know Abel will have his guy ready, we are ready. We are going to put on a great show, there is going to be a changing of the guard,” Monroe’s trainer Tony Morgan said. “We are going to do, what we do, we have been winning and we will keep winning.”

Monroe who earned this shot by winning the 2014 ESPN Boxcino Middleweight Tournament spoke about the opportunity and showdown with Golovkin.

“I want to thank God for blessing me with this opportunity. A special thanks to my team, it’s been a long up and down road for me as a fighter. I am the underdog and I have always been an underdog. These are the opportunities I relish.” Monroe said. “I am a stylistic enigma to the style of Gennady’s. He feels he can beat anyone and on May 16th one will come out on top.”

“GGG” followed and as usual he promised a great show.

“Saturday night there is a big present for everyone,” Golovkin said. “For boxing fans. This is a big deal. A big present. I promise a great event at the Forum in California.”

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/golovkin-promises-big-present-at-final-presser-290813#more-290813
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Fri May 15, 2015 12:02 pm
GGG. Like 35 hours away.

Awesome!!!!!!!!!
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Sat May 16, 2015 10:30 pm
Minutes away!!!!!
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sat May 16, 2015 11:19 pm
nodogoshi wrote:What a ridiculous article.

This is a card of 2 complete and utter mismatches.

Canelo-Kirkland was not pure one-sided action.

These two fights will be though.

Roman Gonzales supposedly considered a p4p top fighter now? He's good and all, but he is nowhere near the conversation. His competition is lacking, among other things. Gennady Golovkin is much more so in the conversation.

This is frankly a boring card. If you just want to see two guys get knocked out, it's one to watch. But there is literally no intrigue involved with this card, whatsoever.

That wasn't actually such a bad show.

Yes they were mismatches, but the fights were plenty entertaining.

I may have been a little strong handed in my comment, but I get tired of reports by amateur writers on supposed news sites.

It's the biggest issue I have with 'MMA journalism' more or less, but it's also present on some of the boxing websites.
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Sat May 16, 2015 11:29 pm
Pretty good show.

Credit to Monroe for putting on a show and hanging tough.

Heretic
Heretic

Sun May 17, 2015 3:01 am
GGG controled that whole fight
Adax

Mon May 18, 2015 8:00 pm
GGG gonna kill someone in the ring if they don't get some worthy caliber opponents in there with him.

Really hoping for the fight with Alvarez.
Heretic
Heretic

Mon May 18, 2015 9:36 pm
AudaxSynth wrote:GGG gonna kill someone in the ring if they don't get some worthy caliber opponents in there with him.

Really hoping for the fight with Alvarez.

Canelo vs GGG would be insane I keep going back and forth on who wins
iforgotmypassword
iforgotmypassword

Mon May 18, 2015 9:43 pm
They need to start drug testing Canelo
PRIDE4EVER
PRIDE4EVER

Wed May 20, 2015 1:15 pm
Willie said he thinks Canelo would beat triple g. I for one agree with him, I think GGG saying he allowed Monroe to hit him was a bullshit excuse for his gas tank starting to run out.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Wed May 20, 2015 9:43 pm
I think Monroe is a pretty slick fighter. Not on GGG's level but not a bad fighter.

GGG's stock might have fallen a little though.

Gioovkin-Alvarez is an excellent, excellent fight.

Alvarez is very good and may win.

GGG is still the favorite.
PRIDE4EVER
PRIDE4EVER

Wed May 20, 2015 11:40 pm
I can't say that either fighter would be the favorite in the fight between those two

I we know for sure is that GGG is really gonna be tested soon.

All that I know is that their is one guy that I feel beats GGG for sure and that is Andre SOG Ward
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum