GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Adrien Broner/Shawn Porter, June20 Empty Adrien Broner/Shawn Porter, June20

Mon May 11, 2015 8:49 pm
http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83513756/

Round two of the Premier Boxing Championship fight cards will include a June 6 afternoon card at StubHub Center in Carson headlined by California’s Robert Guerrero, and a June 20 welterweight showdown at MGM Grand in Las Vegas between former world champions Adrien Broner and Shawn Porter.

The Times learned Monday from officials involved in finalizing the Broner-Porter negotiations that the bout, to be televised by NBC, will be fought at a catch weight expected to be 144 or 145 pounds.

A day after that fight at MGM Grand, in a card to be televised by CBS, junior-welterweight Antonio DeMarco, who trains at Hollywood’s Wild Card Boxing Club, will meet unbeaten former super-featherweight champion Rances Barthelemy.

Former three-division champion Broner (30-1, 22 knockouts) helped powerful boxing manager Al Haymon’s PBC launch on March 7 on NBC when he defeated Covina’s John Molina by unanimous decision at MGM Grand.

Former welterweight world champion Porter (25-1-1) followed on a PBC show in Ontario, knocking out replacement opponent Erick Bone in the fifth round after Roberto Garcia failed to make weight.

Meanwhile, Guerrero, who lost to unbeaten Keith Thurman on the opening PBC card, will fight Los Angeles’ Aron Martinez (19-3-1, four KOs) on a Saturday afternoon show at StubHub Center in Carson on June 6.

In addition to bouts featuring former heavyweight title challenger Chris Arreola of Riverside and Southland junior-middleweight product Alfredo Angulo, the card will also feature a featherweight fight between Vic Darchinyan and Jesus Cuellar and other local talents, promoter Tom Brown said.

For former lightweight world champion DeMarco (31-4-1, 23 KOs), his bout against Barthelemy (22-0, 13 KOs) is a likely watershed event after the 29-year-old was battered by Jessie Vargas in a unanimous-decision loss in November.
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Adrien Broner/Shawn Porter, June20 Empty Re: Adrien Broner/Shawn Porter, June20

Mon May 11, 2015 9:06 pm
Some upcoming PBC shows:

June 6:

Robert Guerrero(32-3-1, 18 KOs) vs. Aron Martinez(19-3-1, 4 KOs)

Jesus Cuellar(26-1, 20 KOs) vs. Vic Darchinyan(40-7-1, 29 KOs)

Chris Arreola vs. tba

Alfredo Angulo vs. tba

June 20th:

Adrien "The Problem" Broner(30-1, 22 knockouts) vs. Shawn Porter(25-1-1)

June 21:

Antonio DeMarco(31-4-1, 23 KOs) vs. Rances Barthelemy(22-0, 13 KOs)

Last edited by TeamJohnPerretti on Tue May 12, 2015 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Tue May 12, 2015 1:37 pm

TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Tue May 12, 2015 1:40 pm
Porter's last fight:

nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Tue May 12, 2015 7:34 pm
Sort of an interesting matchup. Broner is surely the promoter's favorite here, but I could see Porter winning perhaps. I don't think that much of Broner.

Slightly surprised by this fight. A bit of a crossroads fight I guess.
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Tue May 26, 2015 7:05 pm
Broner vs. Porter is a good match.

I think it will be a close, entertaining fight but Broner will win by decision.
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:25 pm
Saturday night

I'll be watching.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:49 pm
Porter all the way, in my opinion.

I don't rate Broner that high.

I was picking Porter already. But then I checked the betting odds, and Porter is up on those as well (not surprisingly).

Broner is mostly hype. Porter is a good boxer.

It's still a close fight that can go either way. Both guys have a lot of questions to answer. It's sort of a crossroads fight.
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:33 pm
I agree nodogoshi.

I've switched my pick to Porter. Broner is alot of hype. Porter should be able to keep constant pressure on him.
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:57 am
LAS VEGAS --

Turns out former welterweight titleholder Shawn Porter wasn't kidding when he said he would have no problem making the 144-pound contract limit for his fight with former three-division titlist Adrien Broner.

Broner, despite being a former welterweight titleholder himself (although his last three fights were at junior welterweight), insisted the fight be at 144 pounds, which Porter grudgingly accepted.

Despite all the speculation that he might not make weight, Porter was bang on 144 and looked strong at Friday's weigh-in, attended by card promoter Floyd Mayweather, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena ahead of the scheduled 12-round bout Saturday night (NBC, 8:30 ET). Broner (30-1, 22 KOs) was 143½ pounds.

"I made weight and I could have made weight last week," Shawn Porter said. "I laugh at the fact that I made it so easily and hadn't been 144 for so long."

Kenny Porter, Shawn's father and trainer, told ESPN.com that the rehydration clause Broner had asked for -- meaning neither could weigh more than 154 pounds at a Saturday morning weight check -- had been deleted from the bout agreement.

Asked what happened to the contract clause, one Team Porter was unhappy about, he said, "Al shut that down," referring to Al Haymon, the adviser for both Broner and Porter.

"I made weight and I could have made weight last week," Shawn Porter said. "I laugh at the fact that I made it so easily and hadn't been 144 for so long."

The 27-year-old Porter (25-1-1, 16 KOs) said the last time he was that light was when he was a 14-year-old amateur.

Kenny Porter said his son made the weight slow and smart. Shawn Porter usually does not run the week of a fight, and Kenny Porter said he didn't have to make an exception for this bout because he was fine coming down.

"He hasn't run the week of a fight in years. The point is he didn't have to for this one," Kenny Porter said.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/13116353/shawn-porter-adrien-broner-make-weight-ahead-saturday-showdown
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:07 am
Adrien Broner and Shawn Porter from Las Vegas. B-side Porter is a -125 favorite against Broner, who is at +105.

Broner is making $1.35 million tonight. Porter is banking $1 million.
backdoor to zuffa
backdoor to zuffa

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:15 pm
Porter is more of a maul and brawl guy rather than a boxer. It's a style that can give Broner fits. Broner really isn't that good, but he is a more precise puncher. It's an intriguing fight assuming the extra weight cutting didn't affect Porter.
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:21 pm
Just about 2 hours away.
backdoor to zuffa
backdoor to zuffa

Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:13 pm
Easy win for Porter, even while getting flash KD'd in the 12th. Like I said, Broner just isn't very good.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum