GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you think about unlimited time, no rounds rules?

+5
stu3ufc
God of Thunder
Kingfedor
TeamJohnPerretti
Rizin=PRIDEFC
9 posters
Go down

Best rules for MMA? ( title fights?)

today's rules

original UFC rules

Vale Tudo rules

can't decide

View results

Rizin=PRIDEFC
Rizin=PRIDEFC

What do you think about unlimited time, no rounds rules? Empty What do you think about unlimited time, no rounds rules?

Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:22 pm
Original idea of MMA was put 2 guys fight until one does not give up or gets KOd or submitted.

And after Royce and Shamrock fought 36 minutes they imposed 20 minute time limit for normal fights and the Superfight had a 30 minute time limit and, if necessary, a five minute overtime. And with time rounds  were added and all...

Today that type of fighting is totally forgotten and not in use at all!

But it was not that bad concept of fighting. The reason why no time limit was stopped because some fights would last  "forever" and if you had to watch 2 fighters who suck and are boring and have no time limit... What do you think about unlimited time, no rounds rules? 1625187496

Unlimited time would not work good on large scale (probably) but what if title fights where like that...
Imagine Fedor vs. Noguera until one does not give up Very Happy and you wold not have bad judges decision and discusiones who won fight (Jones vs. Gus)  I would even like to see what happens when GSP fights with no time limit (would he get tired or would finish opponent) and fighters who stall could get disqualification with yellow cards.  

And what do you think about rounds?  I like rounds because fighters take bigger risks at end of round and have time to recover so they can fight better with more in gas tank but you could say that is not orginal way of fighting.

Or Vale Tudo 1 round 20 minutes.

So Today's rules vs. Original UFC rules vs. Vale Tudo rules all good and bad...

Last edited by LEGENDMMA=PRIDEFC on Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

What do you think about unlimited time, no rounds rules? Empty Re: What do you think about unlimited time, no rounds rules?

Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:46 pm
I voted for 'original UFC rules'.

30 minute time limit and if needed a 5 minute overtime period

That or vale tudo(one 20 minute round) are better options than the current unified rules.
Kingfedor
Kingfedor

What do you think about unlimited time, no rounds rules? Empty Re: What do you think about unlimited time, no rounds rules?

Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:05 pm
You forgot the Pride Fc Rules
Pride matches consisted of three rounds; the first lasted ten minutes and the second and third each lasted five minutes.
God of Thunder
God of Thunder

Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:31 pm
Kingfedor wrote:You forgot the Pride Fc Rules
Pride matches consisted of three rounds; the first lasted ten minutes and the second and third each lasted five minutes.
This
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:48 pm
to the death georges!
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:02 pm
PRIDE FC rules plus elbows (including 12-6 elbows) with two 10 minute rounds for non-title fights and two 10 minute rounds and one 5 minute round for title fights are the rules I would prefer.  Plus yellow cards, deductions for timidity and stalling, fight scored as a whole with damage as top criteria, and in a ring.  Like also having the alternative for unified rules in a cage to add some diversity in the sport.
Rizin=PRIDEFC
Rizin=PRIDEFC

Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:03 pm
Kingfedor wrote:You forgot the Pride Fc Rules

I talk about idea without rounds forever or with rounds forever vs. time limit and rounds. Longer or shorter rounds is not the key thing in this topic but for me also PRIDE 10, and 5 and 5 was better than today's 5x3 or 5x5
Rizin=PRIDEFC
Rizin=PRIDEFC

Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:13 pm
CDF47 wrote:PRIDE FC rules plus elbows (including 12-6 elbows) with two 10 minute rounds for non-title fights and two 10 minute rounds and one 5 minute round for title fights are the rules I would prefer.  Plus yellow cards, deductions for timidity and stalling, fight scored as a whole with damage as top criteria, and in a ring.  Like also having the alternative for unified rules in a cage to add some diversity in the sport.
I like idea of two 10 minute rounds but I think all fight would need to have uneven number of rounds so that it is easier to score so I would add to all fight that last 5 minute round. I know that in PRIDE they score fight in whole (not round by round) but it would happen that one guy totally dominates first and  second dominates second round.
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:35 pm
I'm not a big fan of rounds.

I like the idea of one block of time for the fight. No stops in the action unless it's for a doctor check.

CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:15 pm
LEGENDMMA=PRIDEFC wrote:
CDF47 wrote:PRIDE FC rules plus elbows (including 12-6 elbows) with two 10 minute rounds for non-title fights and two 10 minute rounds and one 5 minute round for title fights are the rules I would prefer.  Plus yellow cards, deductions for timidity and stalling, fight scored as a whole with damage as top criteria, and in a ring.  Like also having the alternative for unified rules in a cage to add some diversity in the sport.
I like idea of two 10 minute rounds but I think all fight would need to have uneven number of rounds so that it is easier to score so I would add to all fight that last 5 minute round. I know that in PRIDE they score fight in whole (not round by round) but it would happen that one guy totally dominates first and  second dominates second round.

True, the odd number of rounds may work better. My original thought was though, that it would be like one 20 minute fight with a 1 minute round break in between to give the fighters a breather and let them discuss with their corner and just score the fight as a whole with 3 judges to determine the winner. The criteria would be number 1 damage (heaviest weighted criteria) and number 2 aggression and effort to finish the fight with strikes or submission attempts/catches.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:17 pm
TeamJohnPerretti wrote:I'm not a big fan of rounds.

I like the idea of one block of time for the fight. No stops in the action unless it's for a doctor check.

Yeah, one twenty minute round would really push the fighters endurance. I think there would be more finishes since it would be such a drain on the fighters. One twenty-five minute round for title fights.
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:39 am
There would also be huge layoffs after these fights.
Adax

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:48 pm
I put today's rules as in ONE Championship judging with the 5 rounds.

I like seeing round by round adjustments from fighters, I believe in-fight IQ is an important aspect to MMA.
rezin
rezin

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:05 pm
I'd like to see Pride rules + elbows.

For the rounds and decisions, I'd like no decisions including no draws (one fighter must be stopped). This way you avoid wrestler stalling cause you don't get points for laying on top of someone and "controlling" them. You also don't get points for damage or anything else. You either stop your opponent or he stops you.

For the rounds I'd like soft rounds, meaning the round must extend past a certain minute (5 or 7 or whatever you like) but doesn't have to be necessarily stopped but can be extended by a "time referee" who works separately from the ring referee. This way you avoid being saved by the bell if one fighter is close to submitting or tko'ing someone.

I think it's better to have rounds because the fighters will have to catch their breath at some point, and it's better they do it during a break when the audience can watch slow motion replays than during the fight when it would just be boring.

All this in a m-1 "rage" ring like structure and definitely not in a chicken wire cage.
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:08 pm
Pitbull vs. Weichel end of first round.

Rounds break up the flow of the fight.

Let the fighters fight..as little stops in action as possible.
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:02 am
AudaxSynth wrote:I like seeing round by round adjustments from fighters, I believe in-fight IQ is an important aspect to MMA.

Fighters can show in-fight IQ....you know in the fight. They can show their strategy and ability to size everything up and adjust.

Fedor had no problem doing this with a 10 minute round.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum