GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
nhbnews
nhbnews
The Godfather of MMA Media
http://eddiegoldman.com

No Holds Barred: Wallid Ismail on Rizin and Jungle Fight Empty No Holds Barred: Wallid Ismail on Rizin and Jungle Fight

Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:00 pm

On this edition of No Holds Barred, host Eddie Goldman spoke with MMA and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu legend Wallid Ismail, who is the founder of the Brazilian MMA promotion Jungle Fight Championship.

Jungle Fight 82 takes place Saturday, October 24, 2015, in Clube Sírio in São Paulo, Brazil. The main event is Ciro "Bad Boy" Rodrigues vs. Eric "Parrudo" Barbosa. Jungle Fight shows are televised on the Band broadcast network in Brazil and ESPN Deportes in the U.S.

Beyond Brazil, Jungle Fight is gaining more international recognition. Wallid has just returned from Japan, where he was part of the inaugural press conference held October 8 introducing the newest Japanese MMA promotion, the Rizin Fighting Federation.

This new organization was founded by former executives of the Pride Fighting Championships, which from the late 1990s to the mid-2000s had been the largest and most important MMA promotion in the world. Unlike other organizations, Rizin will work with many other companies around the world, without requiring fighters to sign exclusive contracts with them and leave their promotions. Jungle Fight is one of those companies.

We spoke with Wallid Ismail by Skype this past Tuesday.

Speaking of Rizin and its head, Nobuyuki Sakakibara, he said, "I think it's going to be great for the sport. It's going to be great for Japan, because no matter what, to doing good in Japan needed to be a Japanese. Because he understands the market, he understands everything about the TV deals, the sponsorship deals in Japan, is very different [from] the United States."

Unlike many others, however, he does not see Rizin as competing with UFC.

"UFC do a great job all over the world. And I think Rizin's coming to help the sport," he said. Rizin is "going to be another organization can help the sport, especially in Asia and Japan." He thus described UFC as sort of a "World Cup" of MMA, while Rizin will be a "World Cup of Clubs." And he said he and Jungle Fight plan to continue working with UFC as well as now also working with Rizin.

Much of the fight card for Rizin's debut show, the Rizin Fighting World Grand-Prix 2015, a three-day extravaganza scheduled for the week of New Year's Eve from December 29 to December 31, remains to be finalized. But he plans to have fighting on that show the Jungle Fight bantamweight champion, Maike Linhares, as well as also possibly a heavyweight.

We also discussed how Jungle Fight's ratings dramatically increased when its shows moved to broadcast TV on the Band network in Brazil from cable, plans for an English-language telecast aimed at the U.S., how many fights on Jungle Fight's cards end in knockouts or submissions and have lots of action, and much, much more.

You can play or download No Holds Barred here and here. If one link does not work, please try another.

Also, No Holds Barred is available through iTunes.

You can also listen to No Holds Barred via Stitcher through iOS or Android devices or on the web, at http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/no-holds-barred-with-eddie-goldman.

The PodOmatic Podcast Player for iOS is available for free on the App Store.

The No Holds Barred theme song is called "The Heist", which is also available on iTunes by composer Ian Snow.

No Holds Barred is free to listen to and is sponsored by:

American Top Team. Whether you're a beginner or a champion, train with the champions in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, boxing, wrestling, grappling, and mixed martial arts at American Top Team. Check out their web site at AmericanTopTeam.com.

Defense Soap, an effective, deep penetrating body soap with natural antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial soap ingredients. Defense Soap is the best cleansing body soap for men and women athletes who are involved in contact sports such as MMA, wrestling, grappling, jiu-jitsu, and judo, to help their antifungal, anti-ringworm, anti-jock itch strategy. Check out their web site, at DefenseSoap.com.

Gracie Tournaments, featuring regional, national, and world competitions in submission-only Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. For more information, go to GracieWorlds.com.

Thanks, Eddie Goldman
EddieGoldman.com
Longtime Fan
Longtime Fan

No Holds Barred: Wallid Ismail on Rizin and Jungle Fight Empty Re: No Holds Barred: Wallid Ismail on Rizin and Jungle Fight

Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:20 pm
Nice!, I hope he has good positive things to say about the new Federation unlike KSW's leader and finkelstein as well
Adax

No Holds Barred: Wallid Ismail on Rizin and Jungle Fight Empty Re: No Holds Barred: Wallid Ismail on Rizin and Jungle Fight

Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:51 pm
I don't like that Jungle Fights is just going to do one foot in each door with Rizin FF and youeffsee. Wallid is a legend but he has the wrong mentality about MMA if he does not wish for competition against Zooffa.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:52 pm
Great interview Eddie. I think this is a great idea having fighters fight to see who goes to RIZIN.

Maike Linhares Galvao Amorim looks real solid (BW champ) (9-0 with 9 finishes). Looking forward to seeing him at RIZIN.

They should have a live stream for that 200 lbs fight for JF HW title to decide who goes to RIZIN. I heard it is on ESPN Deportes but I would need to purchase the Deportes package for that and it is on a one week delay. They should put winner in the HW GP.

A lot of great talent came out of this org.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:52 pm
Longtime Fan wrote:Nice!, I hope he has good positive things to say about the new Federation unlike KSW's leader and finkelstein as well

Wallid is very positive about the Federation, unlike those other two.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:53 pm
AudaxSynth wrote:I don't like that Jungle Fights is just going to do one foot in each door with Rizin FF and youeffsee. Wallid is a legend but he has the wrong mentality about MMA if he does not wish for competition against Zooffa.

Yeah, they should just be in the RIZIN Federation
westcott123
westcott123

Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:48 am
CDF47 wrote:
Longtime Fan wrote:Nice!, I hope he has good positive things to say about the new Federation unlike KSW's leader and finkelstein as well

what did the ksw leader say ? it sounds like wlaid is on the fence with the whole thing then again i only read the interview haven't listen to it yet .As for the ufc they are on top at the moment but at trajectory they're going the won't stay on top .
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:39 am
westcott123 wrote:
CDF47 wrote:

what did the ksw leader say ? it sounds like wlaid is on the fence with the whole thing then again i only read the interview haven't listen to it yet .As for the ufc they are on top at the moment but at trajectory they're going the won't stay on top .

KSW president basically said he won't be sending champs to RIZIN. Wallid will be sending his champs over and seems positive about the Federation. He will continue working with UFC as well though and feeding them fighters. He is also positive about working with Bellator.
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:02 am
AudaxSynth wrote:I don't like that Jungle Fights is just going to do one foot in each door with Rizin FF and youeffsee. Wallid is a legend but he has the wrong mentality about MMA if he does not wish for competition against Zooffa.

like ufc ...jungle fights pays shit money

InfinityLens
InfinityLens

Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:39 pm
So in light if some of Wallid's recent accusations about UFC punishing his fighters what do you guys think of this interview?
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:10 pm
^I thought this was a great interview.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum