GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cain Velasquez Injured; Fabricio Werdum Faces Stipe Miocic

+7
CDF47
stu3ufc
backdoor to zuffa
Offense_Wins_Fights
Rocksoldier84
Heretic
Kinosis
11 posters
Go down
Kinosis
Kinosis

Cain Velasquez Injured; Fabricio Werdum Faces Stipe Miocic Empty Cain Velasquez Injured; Fabricio Werdum Faces Stipe Miocic

Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:38 pm
Two-time Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight titleholder Cain Velasquez has withdrawn from the main event of UFC 196, citing a back injury.

UFC officials on Sunday announced that Velasquez, who was set to rematch current champion Fabricio Werdum, will be replaced by Stipe Miocic in the pay-per-view headliner. UFC 196 takes place Feb. 6 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, with a three-round welterweight contest between Johny Hendricks and Stephen Thompson serving as co-main event.

Injuries are nothing new for Velasquez, whose most recent title reign lasted two and a half years but saw the 33-year-old defend his belt only twice before surrendering it to Werdum in a June 2015 submission loss. Velasquez has previously undergone surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff and has also been sidelined with a knee injury.

Shortly after the news was announced, Velasquez authored a Facebook post in which he apologized to fans and Werdum, and stated that he would have risked long-term damage if he chose to fight through the injury.

“Training camp has been difficult for the last few weeks,” Velasquez wrote, “But sometimes no matter how much the heart and mind want to fight through an injury, healing has its own timeline. We thought we’d get through it, but we had to face the truth that it wasn’t going to be OK in time to fight.

“All of us fighters have all fought injured at one time or another, but I can’t ignore this injury, as my doctor has indicated that not addressing the problems with my sciatic nerve could have longer-term consequences.”

Werdum, 38, sits atop the UFC throne with a six-fight winning streak, unbeaten since transferring to the promotion from Strikeforce in February 2012. The Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace has showcased improved striking in recent outings, battering Velasquez on the feet before securing a choke and scoring a knockout win against heavy-handed kickboxer Mark Hunt.

Miocic, 33, comes fresh off a Jan. 2 victory against Andrei Arlovski which saw him knock out the onetime UFC champ in just 54 seconds. The Ohioan has won five of his last six, including three stoppages, with the only defeat coming in a December 2014 setback against Junior dos Santos.
Kinosis
Kinosis

Cain Velasquez Injured; Fabricio Werdum Faces Stipe Miocic Empty Re: Cain Velasquez Injured; Fabricio Werdum Faces Stipe Miocic

Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:40 pm
lol, can't say I am shocked. Velasquez was held up as this god by the zombies, now he is 13-2 and injured for years at a time. In the last 5 years he is 4-2, only fighting 3 different opponents. This is GOAT material to the zombies? lol
Heretic
Heretic

Cain Velasquez Injured; Fabricio Werdum Faces Stipe Miocic Empty Re: Cain Velasquez Injured; Fabricio Werdum Faces Stipe Miocic

Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:05 pm
it's these kind of injuries that made Cain so inconsistent over the years, big blow to the super bowl weekend card
Rocksoldier84
Rocksoldier84

Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:35 am
Kinosis wrote:lol, can't say I am shocked.  Velasquez was held up as this god by the zombies, now he is 13-2 and injured for years at a time.  In the last 5 years he is 4-2, only fighting 3 different opponents.  This is GOAT material to the zombies? lol

Well, the zombies and the UFC were claiming him to be the greatest heavyweight of all time after the third JDS fight happened.

Cain is talented but this is ridiculous and it's been ridiculous for a long time.
Offense_Wins_Fights
Offense_Wins_Fights

Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:40 am
They should cut him...

I'd still like to see Fyodor vs Velasquez

Cain Velasquez Injured; Fabricio Werdum Faces Stipe Miocic 12142108_1656877021221124_640406952_n
backdoor to zuffa
backdoor to zuffa

Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:27 pm
Prime Fedor would have Zulu'd Cain.
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:42 pm
backdoor to zuffa wrote:Prime Fedor would have Zulu'd Cain.

werdum would have beat him again anyways

seas level or under water level cain
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:10 pm
Werdum is now also injured and off this UFC card. Major blow to Super Bowl weekend UFC event.
backdoor to zuffa
backdoor to zuffa

Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:07 pm
stu3ufc wrote:
backdoor to zuffa wrote:Prime Fedor would have Zulu'd Cain.

werdum would have beat him again anyways

seas level or under water level cain

Cain fights like he's under water. Slow poke with no defense. That big head is a sitting duck for any competent striker.
Kinosis
Kinosis

Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:28 am
I don't think Cain sucks but he was super overrated. If Fedor still fights like he did in his last 3 fights before he retired I think he beats Cain. Cain gets hit a lot and his chin is questionable when hit by a power striker. Fedor is older but I'd still pick him if he fights smart.

And yeah, Werdum is out now also. That card completely blows now but that is what happens when you only put 1 good fight on each card.
Longtime Fan
Longtime Fan

Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:51 am
Porcelain Cain better use his brain and learn how to train

Good. He didn't deserve the instant rematch in the first place
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:53 pm
Werdum said if cain was still fighting he'd fight but since its miocic he wont? Wtf

Either you can fight or can't i dont get it especially since stylistically it isn't that different of a fight.

Just wondering everyone's thoughts....
Kinosis
Kinosis

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:04 pm
fka wrote:Werdum said if cain was still fighting he'd fight but since its miocic he wont? Wtf

Either you can fight or can't i dont get it especially since stylistically it isn't that different of a fight.

I like Werdum but it was a weird statement. I think he didn't want to take a chance on losing to someone new, He already knew he could destroy Cain. I would have picked Werdum over Miocic anyway. When Werdum is healed he should be fighting Miocic or Overeem, not Cain.
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:43 am
ufc drama sucks
wekka
wekka

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:33 am
I think Werdum has every right to pull out of the fight.

If you're a champion or number one contender, you should always have the option of a full training camp.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:09 pm
I think Werdum vs. Reem makes most sense next since Reem finished top contender JDS in his last fight and was on a streak before that.  Reem is a free agent though, so we'll see. UFC will probably try hard to keep him and offer a good contract since he is a top contender now.
westcott123
westcott123

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:36 pm
Kinosis wrote:
fka wrote:Werdum said if cain was still fighting he'd fight but since its miocic he wont? Wtf

I like Werdum but it was a weird statement.  I think he didn't want to take a chance on losing to someone new,  He already knew he could destroy Cain.  I would have picked Werdum over Miocic anyway.  When Werdum is healed he should be fighting Miocic or Overeem, not Cain.  
yeah but knowing them they want cain as the champ .plus you would think they want cain to beat werdum instead  stipe ,even though i still think werdum would beat cain i mean really what was he  going to do differently ?  . I say put on more pressure try to grind werdum against the fence try to get in on the inside and throw bombs fake the takedown more often . I bet it would of been one of those things. I doubt cain was going to do some new age futuristic dbz shit .
westcott123
westcott123

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:15 am
Longtime Fan wrote:Porcelain Cain better use his brain and learn how to train

Good. He didn't deserve the instant rematch in the first place
Knowing the ufc they will hold on as long as they can ,they really want cain as the champ
westcott123
westcott123

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:19 am
Kinosis wrote:lol, can't say I am shocked.  Velasquez was held up as this god by the zombies, now he is 13-2 and injured for years at a time.  In the last 5 years he is 4-2, only fighting 3 different opponents.  This is GOAT material to the zombies? lol
yeah that is very laughable cain is tad overrated anyway look at who he beat fighters that are not even in the ufc anymore a big nog way past his prime a wwe lesnar and two fighters named jds and bigfoot who were great match up's for him style wise . They have gall to give fedor shit ha .
Rocksoldier84
Rocksoldier84

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:24 am
westcott123 wrote:
Kinosis wrote:

I like Werdum but it was a weird statement.  I think he didn't want to take a chance on losing to someone new,  He already knew he could destroy Cain.  I would have picked Werdum over Miocic anyway.  When Werdum is healed he should be fighting Miocic or Overeem, not Cain.  
yeah but knowing them they want cain as the champ .plus you would think they want cain to beat werdum instead  stipe ,even though i still think werdum would beat cain i mean really what was he  going to do differently ?  . I say put on more pressure try to grind werdum against the fence try to get in on the inside and throw bombs fake the takedown more often . I bet it would of been one of those things. I doubt cain was going to do some new age futuristic dbz shit .

Well, UFC and The Zombies are convinced that the altitude affected him and that being at sea level will prevent him from tiring out and the fact that he gets better in rematches.
westcott123
westcott123

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:44 am
Yeah they pretty much said that is the only reason why he lost as for rematch thing i still think jds big foot match up well for cain to beat i know im repeating myself but i still think it is true .

Lets be real here if werdum was the one who  gassed   out would they say anything about altitude ? it would be more likely of how cain has an endless gas tank he is the greatest heavyweight of all time yadda yadda .
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum