GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Eddie Alvarez with ONE Championship ?? - Page 3 Empty Re: Eddie Alvarez with ONE Championship ??

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:26 pm
nodogoshi wrote:
CDF47 wrote:
nodogoshi wrote:
CDF47 wrote:It is rumored Eddie will fight Martin Nguyen for the 155 lbs belt.  

Apparently the lightweight limit in One is actually 169. They talked about it in the conference call which was featured on a recent No Holds Barred episode. I've noticed they never announce weights on the shows, only heights. But apparently the weights are all like one division off. They were saying it's to discourage weight cutting. And they have other steps to discourage weight cutting. They basically want people to fight close to their walking around weight.

I'm guessing this was implemented after that case in which (I believe) a Thai fighter died cutting weight for a One fight.

It seems like a positive policy, to be sure. I said it before; but when Luis Santos missed weight for a fight with Askren, Victor Cui came down very hard on him, calling him unprofessional and saying other things. I said at the time that this was inappropriate. Then, the Thai fighter died cutting weight, and Victor Cui came out being very said about it--which I'm sure he genuinely was--but it highlighted the inappropriateness of his previous treatment of Luis Santos.

Nonetheless, I'm glad they responded to the situation, and their policy seems to work, at least based on their own accounts of it. Eddie Alvarez was positive about it, as well, on the conference call.

Interesting.  Yeah, I think 155 is there FW limit, so they will be fighting in the FW division is from what I read but you are probably correct since you heard the conference call.  

Yeah, I remember that Cui was very sad about the loss of the Thai fighter and he mentioned a rule change immediately.  So this is the new rule set which is good that the fighters don't kill themselves cutting weight.  That is insane.

Yeah I see. It was announced in the call that Alvarez would be fighting in the lightweight division, which it was said is 169 (Alvarez said, 'it's 169, right?' and the guy from One said 'yes').

But it's possible that Alvarez could instead fight at 155. What they said on the call could have been speculation, doesn't mean it was set in stone that Alvarez would be at 169. We'll have to wait for the potential announcement, I suppose.

I see. Yeah, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. If I had to choose I would like to see him at 155 lbs. There are some good fights for him there with ONE.
westcott123
westcott123

Eddie Alvarez with ONE Championship ?? - Page 3 Empty Re: Eddie Alvarez with ONE Championship ??

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:29 am
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:42 am

I just read that. I wonder how that came about. She has no experience like this from what I know.
westcott123
westcott123

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:51 pm
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:45 pm
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:18 am
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:39 pm

So DJ is not making $50 million? That seems like a ridiculous amount of money.
westcott123
westcott123

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:27 pm
Really? Ok I'm certain i read heard saw it somewhere unless it was type error 

One 83 result spoiler:
westcott123
westcott123

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:28 am
One 83 result spoiler:
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:14 am
westcott123 wrote:Really? Ok I'm certain i read heard saw it somewhere unless it was type error 

One 83 result spoiler:

I added a spoiler tag.

Try not to post spoilers like that without a tag, that is in threads not directly related to the event. Spoiled it for me, as well.
westcott123
westcott123

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:17 am
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/11/8/18076250/conor-mcgregor-seemingly-blames-one-championship-demise-ufc-flyweight-division-mma-news#comments

What do people think of this McGregor is blaming one fc for the fact that the ufc seems to be dismantling the fly weight division.

Well in that case they will either move up or the ufc should allow them out of their contracts I'm certain one fc, rizin, road fc or any other organisations would happily have them
westcott123
westcott123

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:35 am
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/brianmazique/2018/11/09/eddie-alvarez-is-leading-an-influx-of-american-martial-artists-into-one-championship/amp/

Who else could one fc pick up? Or who would people like to see? This is great i reckon one fc is a global player rizin and road fc become major players in the Asian mma scene be like a new kaktougi however it is spelt boom.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:32 pm
westcott123 wrote:Really? Ok I'm certain i read heard saw it somewhere unless it was type error 

One 83 result spoiler:

Huge upset.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:35 pm
westcott123 wrote:https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/11/8/18076250/conor-mcgregor-seemingly-blames-one-championship-demise-ufc-flyweight-division-mma-news#comments

What do people think of this McGregor is blaming one fc for the fact that the ufc seems to be dismantling the fly weight division.

Well in that case they will either move up or the ufc should allow them out of their contracts I'm certain one fc, rizin, road fc or any other organisations would happily have them

UFC has been talking about closing down the division for a while, years even. This is not due to ONE like Conor states.

I definitely am looking forward to seeing where these fighters go.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:37 pm
westcott123 wrote:https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/brianmazique/2018/11/09/eddie-alvarez-is-leading-an-influx-of-american-martial-artists-into-one-championship/amp/

Who else could one fc pick up? Or who would people like to see? This is great i reckon one fc is a global player rizin and road fc become major players in the Asian mma scene be like a new kaktougi however it is spelt boom.

Cejudo is the biggest pickup for anyone. He will remain with UFC possibly and fight at 135. I wonder how many will get to just change divisions.
westcott123
westcott123

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:29 pm
^^who knows? With Henry i say he be ufc bound til he retires ^^ with dj people might complain but what was left for him in the ufc? It is a pity his regin has been tied in with tj how he was scared of him my opinion on that they wanted someone to dethrone mighty mouse and they choose a person in a higher weight class because at the time they thought no fly weight could beat him.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:42 pm
westcott123 wrote:^^who knows? With Henry i say he be ufc bound til he retires ^^ with dj people might complain but what was left for him in the ufc? It is a pity his regin has been tied in with tj how he was scared of him my opinion on that they wanted someone to dethrone mighty mouse and they choose a person in a higher weight class because at the time they thought no fly weight could beat him.

Yeah, they wanted TJ to take out Johnson. I just read that Cejudo is scheduled to fight TJ at UFC 233.
westcott123
westcott123

Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:18 pm
Appre
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.mmamania.com/platform/amp/2018/11/9/18078406/tj-dillashaw-to-drop-to-125-will-challenge-henry-cejudo-for-flyweight-title-ufc-mma

Apparently it is for henry's title i have no idea why i mean by the look they're closing the division down. Oh hang on i know why yeah see Henry is way tougher than dj who is a coward. 

This grand prix they have Eddie and dj in will be awesome i love grand prixs. 

My opinion yes i have said a millon times better the day people focus more on the fighters rather then they in the ufc or not, that fighters are not signed to exclusive contracts and you would find who really is the best in the world.
Rocksoldier84
Rocksoldier84

Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:25 pm
westcott123 wrote:https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/11/8/18076250/conor-mcgregor-seemingly-blames-one-championship-demise-ufc-flyweight-division-mma-news#comments

Obviously, ONE isn't to blame. I don't know if UFC cared about it but the problem was DJ was so dominate that he was almost boring. The division might've done better if they had guys who could be a threat but DJ rarely broke a sweat. You could argue the division was doomed the moment they crowned a champ as the fans booed the fight between Johnson/Benavidez and you had Dana White telling fans not to order another PPV if you didn't love the fight. He begged fans not to, said they were morons, and don't like fighting.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:55 pm
westcott123 wrote:Appre
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.mmamania.com/platform/amp/2018/11/9/18078406/tj-dillashaw-to-drop-to-125-will-challenge-henry-cejudo-for-flyweight-title-ufc-mma

Apparently it is for henry's title i have no idea why i mean by the look they're closing the division down. Oh hang on i know why yeah see Henry is way tougher than dj who is a coward. 

This grand prix they have Eddie and dj in will be awesome i love grand prixs. 

My opinion yes i have said a millon times better the day people focus more on the fighters rather then they in the ufc or not, that fighters are not signed to exclusive contracts and you would find who really is the best in the world.

I'd prefer see DJ in a GP than against TJ.
westcott123
westcott123

Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:38 am
^^ same here i wonder with this GP whether the winner will get a belt or a trophy? Like when masakatsu ueda got when he won bantamweight GP.
Rocksoldier84
Rocksoldier84

Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:59 am
westcott123 wrote:^^who knows? With Henry i say he be ufc bound til he retires ^^ with dj people might complain but what was left for him in the ufc? It is a pity his regin has been tied in with tj how he was scared of him my opinion on that they wanted someone to dethrone mighty mouse and they choose a person in a higher weight class because at the time they thought no fly weight could beat him.

How was DJ scared of TJ? If anything, TJ is the coward moving down. I know DJ was considered by some the best in the world but what challenge is it to move down in weight where you have size, strength, and reach advantages? TJ would look better moving up.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:35 pm
westcott123 wrote:^^ same here i wonder with this GP whether the winner will get a belt or a trophy? Like when masakatsu ueda got when he won bantamweight GP.

I am hoping he gets a belt as well.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:38 pm
Rocksoldier84 wrote:

How was DJ scared of TJ? If anything, TJ is the coward moving down. I know DJ was considered by some the best in the world but what challenge is it to move down in weight where you have size, strength, and reach advantages? TJ would look better moving up.

DJ wasn't scared of TJ at all. He preferred to fight with ONE which is where he is now. He even mentioned fighting for ONE in the past.
westcott123
westcott123

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:54 pm
Rocksoldier84 wrote:

But of course you know they didn't give a shit they just wanted someone to take the belt.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum