GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Viacom & Bellator to go head to head with TUF 'live' and UFC 'fight nights' next year :) Empty Viacom & Bellator to go head to head with TUF 'live' and UFC 'fight nights' next year :)

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:48 am
Looks like Viacom & Bellator are upping their game next year. They've decided to go head to head with TUF 'live' and UFC 'fight nights' on cable channel FX in the new year. Their MTV2 Friday night offering more than likely draw fans of TUF who are getting bored of the show and it's now very watered down talent.

It's a pretty cool business move to offer UFC's weakening TUF show fans a potentially better MMA offering with established fighters and live tournament formats as an option on the same nights. I've heard other companies have done this with their competitors before. I think it's called counter-programming. I'm sure the executive offices at Zuffa are abuzz about it today.

The coolest party though is that the UFC has spent bamillions developing these fans. This is genious IMO. Perfect plan with perfect timing aimed dead-center at the biggest game in the industry. Ahhh... I just love competition. 8)

Bellator Moves to Fridays, Plans Five Spring Tournaments
December 5 2011
Michael David Smith - mmafighting.com

Bellator Fighting Championships has decided that going head-to-head with the UFC is a losing battle.

The No. 2 MMA promotion in America announced that starting with its sixth season in the spring, Bellator's live fights will air on MTV2 on Friday nights. The first Bellator show of Season 6 will take place on March 2, and having the event on a Friday ensures that it won't take place simultaneously with a UFC pay-per-view, as Bellator often did this year.

However, the decision to move to Fridays may still mean going head-to-head with the UFC, as The Ultimate Fighter will move to a live format with fights on Friday nights on FX next year, and the UFC may also run some Fight Night-level shows on FX or Fuel TV on Friday nights. It's not clear yet whether Bellator and The Ultimate Fighter will air at the same time, but Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney said his promotion views its events as distinct from reality television like The Ultimate Fighter.

"Our focus was to find the right night, where the largest number of MMA fans could enjoy the show," Rebney said in a statement. "We've been discussing this move with our partners at Viacom for months. When we looked at the alternatives, we agreed that Fridays provided a great night for us to reach MMA fans with our live, real sport, tournament events every week."

Bellator's Season 6 will feature tournaments in the featherweight, lightweight, welterweight and middleweight divisions, and one more tournament that the promotion has yet to determine. The season is also expected to feature title fights at bantamweight (Eduardo Dantas vs. Zach Makovsky), featherweight (Pat Curran vs. Joe Warren), welterweight (Douglas Lima vs. Ben Askren) and middleweight (Alexander Shlemenko vs. Hector Lombard).

Other fights planned for Bellator Season 6 include Shinya Aoki vs. Eddie Alvarez and a rematch of the Season 5 heavyweight tournament final, Eric Prindle vs. Thiago Santos, which was ruled a no contest.

Bellator should have a busy spring with plenty of big fights, but the big question is whether the promotion can differentiate itself from the UFC enough to make MMA fans notice. Moving to Fridays is an attempt to do that.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/12/05/bellator-moves-to-fridays-plans-five-spring-tournaments/

monaroCountry

Viacom & Bellator to go head to head with TUF 'live' and UFC 'fight nights' next year :) Empty Re: Viacom & Bellator to go head to head with TUF 'live' and UFC 'fight nights' next year :)

Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:20 am
I approve Smile
Dapperdoo
Dapperdoo

Viacom & Bellator to go head to head with TUF 'live' and UFC 'fight nights' next year :) Empty Re: Viacom & Bellator to go head to head with TUF 'live' and UFC 'fight nights' next year :)

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:56 am
Bellator being owned by Viacom is HUGE. This is a great move to fight the UFC.
Michał
Michał

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:47 pm
ill turn my Tv to bellator on 2 rooms. then leave and watch the boxing match at the pub. lol

just so bellator gets more viewers.
Hollywood Dang
Hollywood Dang

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:50 pm
Don't like Bellator

A cheap UFC rip off imo...fuck Viacom for investing in this. Whats wrong with America nowadays?
KSW
KSW

Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:48 pm
Bellator is great imo.
brace
brace

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:39 pm
I amnot too crazy about Bellator, because they use cages, hardcore metal and gladiators to get a piece of that covetous 18-34 douchebag demo.
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:56 pm
brace wrote:I amnot too crazy about Bellator, because they use cages, hardcore metal and gladiators to get a piece of that covetous 18-34 douchebag demo.
I'm not a huge fan of Bellator yet either. I'm just happy someone over here with big bucks is going to try and put Zuffa's attempted takeover of the universe in check.

brace
brace

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:35 pm
Yeah, one good thing it's good for the fighters who will finally have financially stable companies competing for their talent. As a fan, I like tournaments, but I'm the type that never could tell difference between coke and pepsi.

Plus

MMA in a ring = sport
MMA in a cage = cagefighting
KSW
KSW

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:48 pm
We need to get behind Bellator because they can compete with Zuffa in NA and they have an awesome roster. I just wish they used a ring like you said.
brace
brace

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:53 pm
Bellator in a ring would have my neverdying love..
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:24 pm
I love it. UFC getting counter programmed and the majority owners of the org. own SpikeTV. Who would have thought? That is just funny as hell. It is crazy how the SpikeTV/UFC partnership has turned so bad over the last several months as well.

Competition is best for this sport. I also wish Bellator was in a ring but at least we have DREAM, M-1, KSW, DEEP, MFC,..., to deliver ring events. We could definitely use more though. There are too many cage events. I like an equal mix of both to keep things different, especially from the number 2 promotion in the world.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum