GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
ZuffaKiller

Anthony Johnson Debuts at Light Heavyweight, Braulio Estima Makes MMA Debut at Titan 24 Empty Anthony Johnson Debuts at Light Heavyweight, Braulio Estima Makes MMA Debut at Titan 24

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:06 pm
Former UFC fighter Anthony Johnson is ready to test his meddle at a new weight class as he makes his light heavyweight debut at Titan Fighting 24 in late August.

Johnson first revealed his move to 205lbs when talking to MMAWeekly.com earlier this month, and now his first fight in the new division has been booked.

The former welterweight and middleweight contender will face veteran Esteves Jones at Titan Fighting 24, which airs live on AXS TV on Friday, August 24.

“I’m excited to make my light heavyweight debut on August 24 in Kansas City for all the Titan Championship fans,” said Johnson. “I respect my opponent, but he’s in my way to get to the top of this new division. I’m looking forward to showing everyone my strength and power at 205, and exactly what I am capable of at this weight.”

Johnson moves up to light heavyweight after his lone fight in Titan Fighting where he defeated fellow former UFC competitor David Branch earlier this summer.

Also added to the Titan Fighting 24 card is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu world champion Braulio Estima, who makes his MMA debut on the upcoming show.

While Estima is considered one of the top grapplers in the world, he came into the MMA spotlight recently when he accepted a jiu-jitsu match with UFC bad boy Nick Diaz. Unfortunately, Diaz ultimately no showed the event and Estima went without a grappling match that night, but the exposure definitely didn’t hurt his introduction to MMA fans.

Now Estima moves into the world of mixed martial arts after a highly decorated career in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and makes his debut against Chris Holland.

Holland popped into the spotlight recently as well with a big TKO win over former UFC and Pride fighter Phil Baroni.

Also on the Titan Fighting 24 card, Team Blackzilian up and comer Junior Karanta takes on Matt Uhde in an undercard bout.

More fights for the Titan Fighting 24 card will be announced int eh coming weeks.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/anthony-johnson-debuts-at-light-heavyweight-braulio-estima-makes-mma-debut-at-titan-24
MR.WILLIE

Anthony Johnson Debuts at Light Heavyweight, Braulio Estima Makes MMA Debut at Titan 24 Empty Re: Anthony Johnson Debuts at Light Heavyweight, Braulio Estima Makes MMA Debut at Titan 24

Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:09 pm
good fight....rumble should sub esteves, but jones hits really hard...nice addition to the titan fc card
Adax

Anthony Johnson Debuts at Light Heavyweight, Braulio Estima Makes MMA Debut at Titan 24 Empty Re: Anthony Johnson Debuts at Light Heavyweight, Braulio Estima Makes MMA Debut at Titan 24

Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:28 pm
Fuck Estima for trying to use Nick's name to start a MMA career.
Anthony Johnson Debuts at Light Heavyweight, Braulio Estima Makes MMA Debut at Titan 24 1869001245
Hopefully Holland can knock Estima silly and send him back grappling.
doubledx2c

Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:42 pm
AudaxPowder wrote:Fuck Estima for trying to use Nick's name to start a MMA career.
Anthony Johnson Debuts at Light Heavyweight, Braulio Estima Makes MMA Debut at Titan 24 1869001245

Fuck Nick for bailing out on their superfight. Estima doesn't need Nick's name at all, he's already a renowned grappler in his own right.
Adax

Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:21 pm
doubledx2c wrote:
AudaxPowder wrote:Fuck Estima for trying to use Nick's name to start a MMA career.

Fuck Nick for bailing out on their superfight. Estima doesn't need Nick's name at all, he's already a renowned grappler in his own right.

No, no "Fuck Nick for bailing out.." because that was a bullshit situation with the promoter of the grappling tournament attempting to manipulate the situations for his country man. Plus with all the lies told to Cesar Gracie along with the bullshit weight limit wishy washy ordeal, that was just fucking nonsense. Why should Nick stick around after being lied to about Estima and the promoter's plan from the beginning of trying to use Nick's name while spinning the story? Granted Nick needs to communicate with his team before just making executive calls, but he was still pissed from MMA and just wanted nothing to do with MMA so when these guys lied you have to imagine they had ulterior motives. Do you really think the casual fan keeps up with BJJ tourney winners and when they cross over to MMA, doubledx2c? I say ask Vinny Magalhaes who had to get on a garbage reality show and throw a hissy fit over Big Nog before anyone gave 2 shits about his BJJ credentials.

ANYWAYS if you care here's Cesar's side (select parts, not all of it: I'll post the link though).

Facts
In the month of February I was contacted by a Brazilian named Junior asking me if I wanted to participate in an Expo\Jiu-jitsu tournament. The goal was to put one of our team’s stars in the event to attract sponsors and ensure it was successful. The event was not that far away and they desperately needed exposure. Junior stated that he was working with my uncle Rilion and my cousin Renzo on this project and they were in fact partners. Rilion and Renzo are 2 people that I greatly admire and respect and I was more than happy to partner up with them.

I discussed the idea with Nick Diaz and he readily agreed to enter in the black belt gi division. He did not seek any reimbursement. Junior thought it better for Nick to do a super fight as he thought this would be more of a spectacle and bring in more attention. Nick was not as enthusiastic but agreed on the condition that whoever was picked to go against him was not an mma fighter. He knew even a mediocre mma fighter would try to use a match and/or victory over him to further their career in mma. Nick believes a reputation as a fighter should only be earned in a ring or cage.I relayed this to Junior and he agreed to arrange for a strict jiu-jitsu competitor..

..In early April I got the call from Junior asking what I thought of a Braulio Estima vs Nick Diaz matchup. I had heard of Braulio and knew he was a formidable jiu-jitsu practitioner. I was under the impression that Braulio competed in the close to 200lbs weight category.
When I asked Junior he assured me that Braulio could weigh in as little as 175 lbs right before the match.

I presented his information to Nick who accepted the matchup and seemed happy to go against the top BJJ player in the world at that weight. Nick started training for the match and I brought up several BJJ black belts to compliment his training.

Looking through some of Estima’s youtube videos, it was soon discovered that he had in fact been planning on entering upon a career in mma. We wondered if the match with Diaz was a way to create a buzz around him and get him signed with a prominent organization.

I called Junior who assured me Estima would not be fighting in mma and that he had spoken with him and been assured he had given up on the idea of ever fighting. Junior reiterated, “Cesar I spoke with Braulio, the guy is in his 30′s, he has a family and doesn’t want to live that type of life at this stage in his life…etc”
I repeated this info to Nick. A week or so later it was all over the Internet that Braulio had joined the “Blackzillians” and was training for an mma fight. We had been lied to. Furthermore it was evident that Nick’s sole condition that he not go against a wanna be mma guy was violated and this was in fact an attempt by Braulio to ignite an mma career.Nick was to have been accurately portrayed as a fighter returning to his BJJ roots. He had even agreed to give his entire purse to charity; St Jude’s Children’s Hospital for kids with cancer. If you know the story of Ralph Gracie’s son you would understand why this charity was chosen. Nick’s name having been added to this event had saved it but now it was clear he was to be the patsy, not respected but used.

Despite all of this Nick was still going to compete. He brought up Kron Gracie and prepared himself. Around this time I was informed by Junior that Braulio wanted to weigh in the day before and not right before the match as is the custom in IBJJ competitions and Abu Dhabi. At the time Nick was about 186lbs so I consented to both guys weighing in at 180lbs the night before.

Nick boarded a plane on Friday for Long Beach having cut 6 pounds for the weigh in that night. On his way there I got a call from Junior telling me Braulio would not be making weight! ”Cesar Braulio is complaining about the weight cut. Can we have him weigh in tomorrow? He can’t make the weight tonight how about 185 in the morning?”

Nick arrives in Long Beach to the news that there will be no weigh ins that night. As a professional with over 30 fights this was the final straw. The disrespect and total lack of professionalism given him convinced him he was at a circus not a professional event.

At 3:20 in the morning I received a text from Junior that Braulio would in fact make the 180lbs weight class at 10:00AM. With no other option available I said fine I’ll check with Nick in the morning. At 10:00AM Braulio did weigh in at 180lbs but by that time Nick had already left.

http://graciefighter.com/2012/05/world-jiu-jitsu-expo-and-nick-diaz

So yeah I stand by my original statement.

doubledx2c

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:49 am
AudaxPowder wrote:
doubledx2c wrote:

No, no "Fuck Nick for bailing out.." because that was a bullshit situation with the promoter of the grappling tournament attempting to manipulate the situations for his country man. Plus with all the lies told to Cesar Gracie along with the bullshit weight limit wishy washy ordeal, that was just fucking nonsense. Why should Nick stick around after being lied to about Estima and the promoter's plan from the beginning of trying to use Nick's name while spinning the story? Granted Nick needs to communicate with his team before just making executive calls, but he was still pissed from MMA and just wanted nothing to do with MMA so when these guys lied you have to imagine they had ulterior motives. Do you really think the casual fan keeps up with BJJ tourney winners and when they cross over to MMA, doubledx2c? I say ask Vinny Magalhaes who had to get on a garbage reality show and throw a hissy fit over Big Nog before anyone gave 2 shits about his BJJ credentials.

ANYWAYS if you care here's Cesar's side (select parts, not all of it: I'll post the link though).

Facts
In the month of February I was contacted by a Brazilian named Junior asking me if I wanted to participate in an Expo\Jiu-jitsu tournament. The goal was to put one of our team’s stars in the event to attract sponsors and ensure it was successful. The event was not that far away and they desperately needed exposure. Junior stated that he was working with my uncle Rilion and my cousin Renzo on this project and they were in fact partners. Rilion and Renzo are 2 people that I greatly admire and respect and I was more than happy to partner up with them.

I discussed the idea with Nick Diaz and he readily agreed to enter in the black belt gi division. He did not seek any reimbursement. Junior thought it better for Nick to do a super fight as he thought this would be more of a spectacle and bring in more attention. Nick was not as enthusiastic but agreed on the condition that whoever was picked to go against him was not an mma fighter. He knew even a mediocre mma fighter would try to use a match and/or victory over him to further their career in mma. Nick believes a reputation as a fighter should only be earned in a ring or cage.I relayed this to Junior and he agreed to arrange for a strict jiu-jitsu competitor..

..In early April I got the call from Junior asking what I thought of a Braulio Estima vs Nick Diaz matchup. I had heard of Braulio and knew he was a formidable jiu-jitsu practitioner. I was under the impression that Braulio competed in the close to 200lbs weight category.
When I asked Junior he assured me that Braulio could weigh in as little as 175 lbs right before the match.

I presented his information to Nick who accepted the matchup and seemed happy to go against the top BJJ player in the world at that weight. Nick started training for the match and I brought up several BJJ black belts to compliment his training.

Looking through some of Estima’s youtube videos, it was soon discovered that he had in fact been planning on entering upon a career in mma. We wondered if the match with Diaz was a way to create a buzz around him and get him signed with a prominent organization.

I called Junior who assured me Estima would not be fighting in mma and that he had spoken with him and been assured he had given up on the idea of ever fighting. Junior reiterated, “Cesar I spoke with Braulio, the guy is in his 30′s, he has a family and doesn’t want to live that type of life at this stage in his life…etc”
I repeated this info to Nick. A week or so later it was all over the Internet that Braulio had joined the “Blackzillians” and was training for an mma fight. We had been lied to. Furthermore it was evident that Nick’s sole condition that he not go against a wanna be mma guy was violated and this was in fact an attempt by Braulio to ignite an mma career.Nick was to have been accurately portrayed as a fighter returning to his BJJ roots. He had even agreed to give his entire purse to charity; St Jude’s Children’s Hospital for kids with cancer. If you know the story of Ralph Gracie’s son you would understand why this charity was chosen. Nick’s name having been added to this event had saved it but now it was clear he was to be the patsy, not respected but used.

Despite all of this Nick was still going to compete. He brought up Kron Gracie and prepared himself. Around this time I was informed by Junior that Braulio wanted to weigh in the day before and not right before the match as is the custom in IBJJ competitions and Abu Dhabi. At the time Nick was about 186lbs so I consented to both guys weighing in at 180lbs the night before.

Nick boarded a plane on Friday for Long Beach having cut 6 pounds for the weigh in that night. On his way there I got a call from Junior telling me Braulio would not be making weight! ”Cesar Braulio is complaining about the weight cut. Can we have him weigh in tomorrow? He can’t make the weight tonight how about 185 in the morning?”

Nick arrives in Long Beach to the news that there will be no weigh ins that night. As a professional with over 30 fights this was the final straw. The disrespect and total lack of professionalism given him convinced him he was at a circus not a professional event.

At 3:20 in the morning I received a text from Junior that Braulio would in fact make the 180lbs weight class at 10:00AM. With no other option available I said fine I’ll check with Nick in the morning. At 10:00AM Braulio did weigh in at 180lbs but by that time Nick had already left.

The contract was never released, so I guess you're just taking Cesar's word for it. If the casual fan doesn't give a shit about a high-level BJJ player entering MMA, they sure as hell wouldn't give a shit about anyone short of Floyd or Manny entering MMA. Haven't been a fan of Diaz outside the cage since he literally ran away from the fight with GSP. He ran out of Cesar's house while there was a kid's birthday party going on Anthony Johnson Debuts at Light Heavyweight, Braulio Estima Makes MMA Debut at Titan 24 3077217049
MR.WILLIE

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:53 pm
http://titanfighting.com/titan-fc-24-press-release/

TITAN FIGHTING ANNOUNCES “TITAN FIGHTING 24”
ANTHONY “RUMBLE” JOHNSON vs. ESTEVES JONES

LIVE ON AXS TV – AUG. 24 at 10:00 p.m. ET

CO-MAIN EVENT: BRAULIO ESTIMA vs. CHRIS HOLLAND
ALSO: ANDREW WHITNEY vs. CODY GIBSON
JUNIOR KARANTA vs. MATT UHDE
BRIAN DAVISON vs. JOE MURPHY

Tickets on Sale Now through Ticketmaster.com and at Memorial Hall in Kansas City

Kansas City, KS — Titan Fighting Championship has revealed that “Titan Fighting 24” will take place Friday, August 24, 2012 at Memorial Hall in Kansas City and that Anthony “Rumble” Johnson vs. Esteves Jones will headline the card, supported by an extraordinary co-main event featuring the MMA debut of World Jiu-Jitsu Champion Braulio Estima in a welterweight fight with Chris “The Hammer” Holland. AXS TV will broadcast “Titan 24” live nationwide starting at 10:00 p.m. ET.

“I’m excited to make my light heavyweight debut on August 24 in Kansas City for all the Titan Championship fans, said Johnson. “I respect my opponent, but he’s in my way to get to the top of this new division. I’m looking forward to showing everyone my strength and power at 205, and exactly what I am capable of at this weight.”

Titan Fighting 24 tickets are on sale now with general admission priced at $35; VIP packages are available for $100 and $150. Tickets can be purchased through www.Ticketmaster.com, or by calling Ticketmaster 866-448-7849, and locally at the Memorial Hall box office.

Johnson (12-4-0), former UFC middleweight, is ranked among the top fighters in the world, having competed in the Octagon at both 185 and 170 pounds, and now at 205. He has fought the who’s who in the sport including Vitor Belfort, Josh Koscheck, and Dan Hardy. He holds seven wins by KO or TKO, and all but one of his six UFC wins were by KO/TKO. August 24 fight will mark his third time headlining for the Titan Fighting Championship organization. In his light heavyweight debut, Rumble will take on Esteves Jones (8-3, 6 KOs) the 6’2”/205 lb. former Super Heavyweight Champion of the King of the Cage organization. Johnson trains with the Blackzilians at JACO Hybrid Training Center in Delray Beach as part of Team JACO.

Braulio Estima (6’3”/170) is considered one of the world’s very best grapplers. His submission competition achievements include winning the CBJJ World Championship in 2004, 2006, and 2009, the Absolute World Cup Championship in 2006, the European CBJJ Absolute Championships in 2006 and 2009, as well as being the ADCC 2007 silver medalist. At ADCC 2009, Estima won both the under-88 kg and Absolute division championships, defeating Strikeforce/Dream veteran Andre Galvao and Sengoku veteran Xande Ribeiro in the respective finals. Estima is the head instructor and owner of the Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Birmingham, England. He also trains with the Blackzilians at JACO Hybrid Training Center in Delray Beach, Florida where he has been honing his stand-up game with noted striking coach Henri Hooft.

Estima will face the 5’10” Holland (5-3) who is currently riding a three-fight win streak, having recently defeating Phil Baroni with a second round TKO. Holland fights out of Denver, Colorado and trains at the Factory X Training Center.

“I’m excited to make my MMA debut, it’s been a long time coming and I’m really looking forward to it especially with the Blackzilians behind me,” said Estima. “I’ve been working hard on my standup with Coach Henri and actually all the fighters here at Team JACO have been bringing me along. I’m confident on my feet. I don’t think striking is going to be a problem, if the strategy goes the way we want. And if the fight goes to the ground, well that won’t be a problem either.”

Also on the AXS TV live card is a matchup between Holland’s Junior Karanta (1-0) vs. Kansas local Matt Uhde (3-0), a bantamweight bout between Andrew Whitney (8-1) vs. Cody Gibson, and the featherweight matchup Brian Davidson (9-3) vs. Joe Murphy (6-0).
Adax

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:06 pm
doubledx2c wrote:
AudaxPowder wrote:
doubledx2c wrote:

Facts

The contract was never released, so I guess you're just taking Cesar's word for it. If the casual fan doesn't give a shit about a high-level BJJ player entering MMA, they sure as hell wouldn't give a shit about anyone short of Floyd or Manny entering MMA. Haven't been a fan of Diaz outside the cage since he literally ran away from the fight with GSP. He ran out of Cesar's house while there was a kid's birthday party going on Anthony Johnson Debuts at Light Heavyweight, Braulio Estima Makes MMA Debut at Titan 24 3077217049

And what's wrong with taking Cesar's word exactly, is he not a credible name in BJJ and MMA? What does the ignorance of the casual fan have to do with your expectations of appreciation? Also I don't give a fuck about your reasons for having a negative opinion of my favorite fighter, feel free to keep that shit to yourself Anthony Johnson Debuts at Light Heavyweight, Braulio Estima Makes MMA Debut at Titan 24 424776184
rezin
rezin

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:38 pm
How did Diaz run away from a fight with GSP when he had already signed to fight him.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum