GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
ZuffaKiller

Ricardo Arona: “I really miss fighting and I think about it every day” Empty Ricardo Arona: “I really miss fighting and I think about it every day”

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:13 pm
Of the Brazilians out of MMA, Ricardo Arona possibly is the one who people ask for the most. Away from the rings since 2009, the “Brazilian Tiger”, busy with the reform of his gym and seminars around the world, waits for the project to be done so he can fight again.

On an exclusive interview with TATAME, Arona, who were at Fight Pavilion last weekend, revealed he intends to turn his gym into a head-quarters, and commented on the difficulty of turning down invitations, affirming he is in anyway lower than UFC light heavyweights.

“I still see Jiu-Jitsu playing a big role in today’s scene. I have great takedown skills, which only few Brazilians have. I move well when I’m on my feet. I only need to train and be prepared to come back. It only takes training”.

Check below the complete interview:

Do you miss fighting?

A lot. I really miss fighting and I think about it every day. It’s just a matter of time.

How is your HQ so far?

I spent three months out of the country, ministering seminars and having sponsors appointments, so it’s behind schedule. Now it’s the final part and we’re setting the work-out equipments, the mats and all. It’s almost over. I believe that I’ll open it before September.

What are your plans after opening your gym?

I plan to train daily, bring some black belts from Niteroi, bring good coaches and invite some friends over, like Rodrigo and Rogerio (Nogueira). I want gather a good team and set a head-quarters.

Are you focused on your gym or at fighting?

I don’t think about fighting right now. I only think about training hard every day, become conditioned, gassed, and then I’ll think about fighting. I’m in shape, I train periodically, I’m still healthy and I want to be good when I come back.

You have many fighting propositions. How does it feel to turn them all down?

It’s really hard to say no. There’s always a proposition and people ask me when I’ll be fighting but I’m focused on finishing my dojo. After that I’ll think about fighting. That’s why I’m thinking ahead. I can’t close a deal right now.

Fans ask for you a lot. How do you see all these people wanting you to fight again soon?

I say this time is important to me. I’m resolving many things related to fighting. I haven’t stopped since I was 15, and I needed this rest, my body also needed it. I want to get back soon. But it’s been good to me.

There’re great times in the fighting business. Do you regret not being part of it?

Like I said, I’ve never stopped. Of course I wanted to be in active, but I’m taking this time and it’s not in vain. I don’t regret it, I’m developing other things and I’m dedicating so I get this project done the way I want it done.

You haven’t fought for a while now. Would you like to fight someone in particular?

I’ve been off for a couple of years, so it would be very cocky of mine if I started picking out names to fight. I want to be in shape because when you’re in shape you don’t need to point anyone. You just go there and fight.

Have you been watching UFC lately?

Yeah, I do. The athlete’s performance is getting better and better, mainly their conditioning. But technically I guess they’re in the same level. I only see a better conditioning preparation, the athletes have ore stamina, they’re faster and powered and it’s all about training. But technically I know it all.

About your division in the UFC, do you think you are in any way worse than the UFC light heavyweight fighters?

I still see Jiu-Jitsu playing a big role in today’s scene. I have great takedown skills, which only few Brazilians have. I move well when I’m on my feet. I only need to train and be prepared to come back. It only takes training.

How was it to play a small role at Fina Estampa (Brazilian soap opera)?

I was hired a couple of months ago by the fighting producer of the show. It was more of a technical thing, I was backstage, taking care of the ring. Eduardo Azevedo (actor) is my friend, so I did it and it was pretty cool.

After stop fighting, do you think about acting?

I don’t know about that but quite fighting is something very far so I don’t know. It’s not now.

http://www.tatame.com/2012/07/31/Ricardo-Arona--I-really-miss-fighting-and-I-think-about-it-every-day
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Ricardo Arona: “I really miss fighting and I think about it every day” Empty Re: Ricardo Arona: “I really miss fighting and I think about it every day”

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:00 pm
Arona should go to ONE FC. He would be a sweet addition for them or other promotions like M-1, KSW, or Bellator.
Wolfman
Wolfman

Ricardo Arona: “I really miss fighting and I think about it every day” Empty Re: Ricardo Arona: “I really miss fighting and I think about it every day”

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:02 pm
Good. I just with he comes back before it's too late. I'll be looking foward for his comeback.

I don't think the UFC will be picking him like that, so i hope at least he tries somewhere else if that's the case. Probably OneFC, but since i have a soft spot for Bellator i'd like him to go there. It would be an awesome adition.
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:45 pm
I really hope he comes back and takes out a lot of the new breed LHW's.

Arona doesn't need any better boxing technique than he had to be a force again at LHW. Being arguably the best submission grappler ever in MMA with great wrestling and the best top control/the best-maybe TD's/the best leg kicks in MMA history will do that for you.

By TD & top control scoring alone with a Jackson-type game plan, Arona could beat any new breeder. The difference though would be Arona's technical mastery and the beauty of it. I hate LnP but love great BJJ, submission grappling & Judo technique along with the chess-like positoning and strategy that comes along with it. Arona gets painted with the broad LnP'er brush and that is just plain idiocy IMO.

I still don't think anyone has the skills to stop his TD's. A simple sprawl won't do no matter how fast it is. The initial part of his main TD technique is much like Fedor's. It's a full body launch/dive in the air leading with an over hand right fake. Like Fedor, he forces his opponents to retreat backwards full-speed and not stand their ground dropping down head first feet sprawling back. Arona's TD's never allow his opponents to react by sprawling.

I don't think anyone has been able to stop his explosive run you alll the way through the back of the cage like an NFL linebacker. Even in watching his 2 year layoff fight against Marvin Eastman Ricardo still took Eastman down explosively running him across the ring bouncing him off the cage. He still has it.
MR.WILLIE

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:43 pm
make a come back then and stop thinking about fucking ufc....
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum