GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Wolfman
Wolfman

Judo badass Teddy Riner says "MMA has no moral values" Empty Judo badass Teddy Riner says "MMA has no moral values"

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:39 pm
Bonsoir, mes amis. Wink

Check out this quote from an interview with Le Monde about MMA.

It is a sport where there is no moral value. The rules are basic: Do not strike in the eyes and genitals ... It's the least we can require, right? I have two nephews and a niece, and I mainly did not want to see them fight like that. When there are violent sports on TV, it's simple, I zap!

Fighting in a cage doesn't appeal to me. There is no moral code in MMA. I am a warrior on the tatami, but you always have to respect your opponent.

Apparently he was even offered a fight against Satoshi Ishii back in 2009 but turned it down. Teddy Riner competes on August 3rd against Poland's Janusz Wojnarowicz in the 100kg division

Source: http://www.lemonde.fr/jeux-olympiques/article/2012/07/24/teddy-riner-l-image-travaillee-d-un-champion-sollicite_1737548_1616891.html

Our good friend Nodogoshi posted a video of him a few weeks ago, but apparently the guy is not very interested in our sport.

I think MMA used to be more honored in the past, but the current "face the pain", cage fighting, gladiators, and "bad boys" era really made it lost it's class. But there are still great people there to influence the younger generation, so i would not dismiss it so quickly as he did. Anyway i'll leave this here.

It would be great for an athlete like him join MMA, but i guess with him it won't happen.
Kinosis
Kinosis

Judo badass Teddy Riner says "MMA has no moral values" Empty Re: Judo badass Teddy Riner says "MMA has no moral values"

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:15 am
I have been following the sport since the early/mid 90s and I have never seen it so bad as it is right now. I think one of the problems of people simply training for MMA and not coming from a traditional martial arts background is they don't have any respect or honor. They are just street thugs with sloppy boxing and a double-leg takedown.

As more and more of the legends retire I think MMA will continue to lose fans. They aren't really building any stars I care about or will follow through their careers.
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Judo badass Teddy Riner says "MMA has no moral values" Empty Re: Judo badass Teddy Riner says "MMA has no moral values"

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:26 am
I agree with Riner... but I will qualify that by saying the UFC, MMA-base fighters and American wrestlers have no code of honor/respect or moral value. That has a terrible reflection on MMA to the rest of the world and it's potential growth.

This is not the case for instance in M-1. Most fighters are very accomplished Combat Sambo Champions who who have studied since they were small kids and have competed internationally in tournaments just like Judo. Just like all other major martial arts, they are indoctrinated with honor, respect and humility as fundamental tenants of their martial art combat sport.

The Japanese in MMA (other than Aoki) have always followed their ancient martial arts codes. The other Asian countries & organizations coming up should do the same. They are steeped in the tradition of the martial arts.

IMO - The Brazilian BJJ community seems to have moved away somewhat from traditional martial arts values that Judo & JJ were founded on. I think maybe too much brash American influence... I don't know??? Maybe just the Gracie's did that themselves initially and the later generations of Brazilians have been influenced by America. Again, no brazo-hate just an observation. The Nogs, Shogan & Zulu were always very humble & respectful though.

Personally... I'm ashamed of a lot of the behavior of the new breed on and off the court with a few exceptions.

Canadians are always polite and respectful until you drop your gloves. Very Happy j/k

Kinosis
Kinosis

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:56 am
Jon Jones disagrees with you Dag.....crap, nevermind, he just crashed into a pole while drinking and driving.

Judo badass Teddy Riner says "MMA has no moral values" 3945565797
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:50 pm
If you'd like to see more about Riner, please do see my thread in the grappling section.

https://global-mma.forumotion.com/t2247-teddy-riner-the-french-god-of-judo

He'll be fighting in the Olympics also in 2 days.
iforgotmypassword
iforgotmypassword

Mon May 05, 2014 2:09 am
I completely agree with him
The Keymaster
The Keymaster

Mon May 05, 2014 5:51 am
Teddy Hisner is horrible to watch
kayneoTheRisingWarrior
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Mon May 05, 2014 8:13 am
nodogoshi wrote:If you'd like to see more about Riner, please do see my thread in the grappling section.

https://global-mma.forumotion.com/t2247-teddy-riner-the-french-god-of-judo

He'll be fighting in the Olympics also in 2 days.
Do you have any update of teddy riner?
kayneoTheRisingWarrior
kayneoTheRisingWarrior

Mon May 05, 2014 9:10 am
Dagwood wrote:I agree with Riner... but I will qualify that by saying the UFC, MMA-base fighters and American wrestlers have no code of honor/respect or moral value. That has a terrible reflection on MMA to the rest of the world and it's potential growth.

This is not the case for instance in M-1. Most fighters are very accomplished Combat Sambo Champions who who have studied since they were small kids and have competed internationally in tournaments just like Judo. Just like all other major martial arts, they are indoctrinated with honor, respect and humility as fundamental tenants of their martial art combat sport.

The Japanese in MMA (other than Aoki) have always followed their ancient martial arts codes. The other Asian countries & organizations coming up should do the same. They are steeped in the tradition of the martial arts.

IMO - The Brazilian BJJ community seems to have moved away somewhat from traditional martial arts values that Judo & JJ were founded on. I think maybe too much brash American influence... I don't know??? Maybe just the Gracie's did that themselves initially and the later generations of Brazilians have been influenced by America. Again, no brazo-hate just an observation. The Nogs, Shogan & Zulu were always very humble & respectful though.

Personally... I'm ashamed of a lot of the behavior of the new breed on and off the court with a few exceptions.

Canadians are always polite and respectful until you drop your gloves.  Very Happy j/k

Why does MMA feel need to steal TMA philosophy?MMA is not martial art, it is combat sport beside that  belong in the full contact/combat sport section.A great teacher ounce say this MMA it's a term  ... it is not a system, style or series of styles.MMA should be called CTC or crossed training  combat since many  of the competitor have trained in many system, but masters none.
iforgotmypassword
iforgotmypassword

Mon May 05, 2014 10:31 pm
kayneoTheRisingWarrior wrote:
Dagwood wrote:I agree with Riner... but I will qualify that by saying the UFC, MMA-base fighters and American wrestlers have no code of honor/respect or moral value. That has a terrible reflection on MMA to the rest of the world and it's potential growth.

Canadians are always polite and respectful until you drop your gloves.  Very Happy j/k

Why does MMA feel need to steal TMA philosophy?MMA is not martial art, it is combat sport beside that  belong in the full contact/combat sport section.A great teacher ounce say this MMA it's a term  ... it is not a system, style or series of styles.MMA should be called CTC or crossed training  combat since many  of the competitor have trained in many system, but masters none.
Well said, MMA is not a sport. MMA is nothing but a collection of other TMA's.
The Keymaster
The Keymaster

Tue May 06, 2014 1:22 am

FYI: Gracie's are arguably the most arrogant clan in the world. Being a cocky douchebag (like half of the Gracies are)isnt an American thing.
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Tue May 06, 2014 4:28 pm
Well put keymaster

Bjj which is touted as a founding father of mma was brought to us by a wolfpack of douchebags.

Showing us both how to grapple and how to be a complete douche all in one stroke.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum