GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Longtime Fan
Longtime Fan

Ed Soares : "Dana can't force any fighter to fight at a bigger weight class" Empty Ed Soares : "Dana can't force any fighter to fight at a bigger weight class"

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:19 pm
We're still far away from finding out UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva's next opponent. But on Wednesday, Silva's manager, Ed Soares, emphatically stated he doesn't think a bout with UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is the right fight to make.

Speaking with reporters at the UFC on FOX 4 open workouts at the JW Marriott hotel in downtown Los Angeles, Soares ridiculed the notion of making a champion vs. champion super fight.

"I don't think it's a good fight," Soares said. "I think number one, Jon Jones, said he doesn't want the fight, and Anderson said he doesn't want the fight. What is it going to do for Jones if he goes go down in weight to fight Anderson? If he loses it's going to ruin him. If Anderson Silva moves up in weight and fights Jon Jones, here's a lighter guy who's going to take my title? C'mon dude.

"Anderson is fighting a much younger guy, a much bigger guy, and Jon Jones is going to be fighting a smaller guy who technically could be better than him. I can see why each guy wouldn't want to fight. What's the upside?"

When a reporter replied "money" to Soares rhetorical question, Soares answered "There's money out there regardless."

"[UFC president] Dana [White] can't force anyone to fight at a bigger weight class," Soares continued. Anderson is the 185-pound champion. He'll fight anyone you put in front of him. So make Jon Jones make 185 pounds if you want that to happen."

With Soares insisting that Jones vs. Silva is unlikely, that leaves the question of Silva's next title defense open. There's a pack of fighters looking to make their case, the most vocal of whom has been Chris Weidman, who is ranked No. 3 at 185 pounds by MMAFighting.com. But Soares summarily dismissed Weidman when asked.

"I mean, because he had an impressive win over Mark Munoz and [Demian] Maia?" Soares paused and rolled his eyes before adding "Sure."

One name that Soares didn't reflexively reject was former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz, whose manager, Cesar Gracie, said on Friday that Diaz would like a fight with the champion.

"Sure, we'll consider anyone the UFC puts in front of us, I don't have a choice," said Soares. "Nick Diaz is a good opponent possibly, I mean, he's a smaller guy, but he's a guy who comes out and fights every time, he's going to put on a good fight."

Of course, Diaz is under suspension until February, so Soares, like the rest of us, will wait and see what the UFC offers Silva.

"I don't know what's going to happen, that's a question for Dana and [UFC matchmaker Joe] Silva."

I agree with Ed , fuck Dana , he shouldn't force/obligate/encourage/influence ANY fighter to change weight classes to fight , unless they pull an Anthony Johnson and miss weight a couple times. Just another blatant manipulation being brought to light.
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Ed Soares : "Dana can't force any fighter to fight at a bigger weight class" Empty Re: Ed Soares : "Dana can't force any fighter to fight at a bigger weight class"

Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:19 am
1. Anderson has already fought at LHW making two guys (one a LHW chapion) look like little girls there.

Silva fought there very comfortably and did not look in the least bit over-sized or over-powered. Not in the least. In fact, he looked virtually the same physical size as one of the largest LHW's ever. He also weighed 205 lbs at the weigh-ins for both LHW fights and more than that on fight night. How the F* does that not make the guy a legitimated LHW??? He already has been a LHW in the UFC twice. WTF???

2. Who the f*** forced Anderson to take the two fights above at LHW?

3. Obviously Anderson thought the 2 LHW fights he took were completely fair and reasonable for the size and weight of Griffin & Irvin.

4. Again, Anderson weighted 205 at the weight-ins for those fights and weighed more on fight night. He also did not look in the least bit over-sized or over-powered. Not in the least.

5. Obviously Anderson thought Griffin and Irvin where fair fights at LHW because they were slower, stupider and bad-strikers with weak JJ.

6. Why would Anderson think Shogun, Jones, or Machida wouldn't be fair fights for him if weighted 205 at the weigh-ins for those fights and weighed more on fight night.... And again he would not look in the least bit over-sized or over-powered. Not in the least???

7. 13 UFC MW's had no problem fighting a guy they knew was bigger, faster and much more skilled than them.

8. Anderson and his management are now officially 'little girls' themselves

Ed Soares : "Dana can't force any fighter to fight at a bigger weight class" Tumblr_m712vkEgLG1rnl5a9o1_500

Ed Soares : "Dana can't force any fighter to fight at a bigger weight class" Ufc-101-anderson-forrest

Ed Soares : "Dana can't force any fighter to fight at a bigger weight class" SetWidth445-black-house

Ed Soares : "Dana can't force any fighter to fight at a bigger weight class" 20090727112456_IMG_6409
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum