GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
ZuffaKiller

Ed Soares: Resurrection Fighting Alliance targeting up to 10 shows in 2013 Empty Ed Soares: Resurrection Fighting Alliance targeting up to 10 shows in 2013

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:02 pm
The Resurrection Fighting Alliance held its first event in Las Vegas this past Friday, and the promotion has aggressive plans for expansion next year.

RFA President Ed Soares told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) events are targeted for six different states in 2013, including Nebraska, Kansas, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico and California.

"Our goal is to do 10 to 12 shows next year," he said. "I would hope we could do eight to 10 because what we're shooting for and what we do is sometimes different. But I would be very upset if we didn't do at least eight shows next year."

RFA 4 took place at Texas Station Gambling Hall & Hotel in Las Vegas and featured an 11-fight card, which included seven bouts that aired live on AXS TV. The event's main event saw Tyson Griffin earn a unanimous decision over fellow UFC vet Efrain Escudero. Additionally, prospects Sergio Pettis, the brother of UFC lightweight Anthony Pettis, and Olympic wrestler Steve Mocco were victorious in separate bouts.

The AXS TV partnership came into the picture with a recent merger between the RFA and Titan Fighting Championships.

"It was like we're forming an alliance to better the sport," Soares said of the RFA's link with Titan FC. "We're stronger together than we were separate."

RFA's expanding map coincides in part with the respective promotion's roots. Titan FC founder Joe Kelly, who is expected to take a role with the upstart promotion, has long promoted events at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kan., and RFA promoted its first three events in Kearney, Neb. Soares is based out of the Los Angeles area.

Soares, who took the job of RFA president after being pitched by owner Wayne Harriman, said the merger also gives the promotion access to Titan's content library.

The longtime manager said the RFA's chief goal is not to compete with the UFC but develop talent that could potentially advance to the industry leader.

"The problem is the talent pool of fighters is every day getting bigger, and unfortunately, the opportunity pool is getting smaller and smaller," Soares said. "I embrace all MMA events that are coming up because that's more opportunities for the fighters, and whatever I can do to further the sport, that's what I'm all about."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31443/ed-soares-resurrection-fighting-alliance-targeting-up-to-10-shows-in-2013.mma
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum