GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
ZuffaKiller

Strikeforce's Jorge Masvidal eyes Japan if he's unable to fight for Strikeforce Empty Strikeforce's Jorge Masvidal eyes Japan if he's unable to fight for Strikeforce

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:01 pm
Standing in a queue of fighters hoping to work on a possible Jan. 12 Strikeforce card, Jorge Masvidal (23-7 MMA, 5-1 SF) has a contingency plan if the promotion can't find space or the event is canceled.

He plans to take an offer from the recently revived Japanese promotion DREAM to fight Hayato Sakurai or Satoru Kitaoka at "DREAM.18: Special NYE 2012."

"I'd much rather fight here in America because I'd get more money ... but if I have to, (I'll fight on) Dec. 31," Masvidal recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I'll be kicking ass in Japan."

Kitaoka is one of three Japanese vets expected to compete at the DREAM event, which takes place Dec. 31 event at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, with a broadcast partner to be announced. The January Strikeforce event was announced following the cancellation of a Nov. 3 event that was scrapped following injuries to two of its headliners.

Masvidal was among several displaced by that event's cancellation. He was scheduled to meet Bobby Green in what would have been his second fight this year and his sixth overall for Strikeforce.

The 27-year-old Masvidal has heard conflicting rumors about whether the January show will actually take place.

"I hear January is the last show, and then January isn't the last show," he said. "I don't know. I just hope that if it's completely and utterly dead, I want to go to Strikeforce's funeral, because what's going on is not cool.

"I know a lot of fighters want to be on that January show, so if I get on it, I'll be very thankful. But I don't know if I'm going to be on it. They haven't told me anything."

While fighters put out by the cancellation of a Strikeforce event scheduled for Sept. 29 were given some compensation for their time and effort, Masvidal has yet to receive any for the canceled November event. His rep expects that to arrive soon.

If he does fight in January, Masvidal is open to any opponent. He just wants to work.

"I don't even care if it's Green," he said. "Whoever they've got available. If it's Green, if it's not Green, I don't give a damn. However I can get my money.

"I'm trying to stay in shape if something comes up."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31490/video-strikeforces-jorge-masvidal-eyes-japan-if-hes-unable-to-fight-for-strikeforce.mma
MR.WILLIE

Strikeforce's Jorge Masvidal eyes Japan if he's unable to fight for Strikeforce Empty Strikeforce's Jorge Masvidal eyes Japan if he's unable to fight for Strikeforce...

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:14 pm
Standing in a queue of fighters hoping to work on a possible Jan. 12 Strikeforce card, Jorge Masvidal (23-7 MMA, 5-1 SF) has a contingency plan if the promotion can't find space or the event is canceled.

He plans to take an offer from the recently revived Japanese promotion DREAM to fight Hayato Sakurai or Satoru Kitaoka at "DREAM.18: Special NYE 2012."

"I'd much rather fight here in America because I'd get more money ... but if I have to, (I'll fight on) Dec. 31," Masvidal recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I'll be kicking ass in Japan."

Kitaoka is one of three Japanese vets expected to compete at the DREAM event, which takes place Dec. 31 event at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, with a broadcast partner to be announced. The January Strikeforce event was announced following the cancellation of a Nov. 3 event that was scrapped following injuries to two of its headliners.

Masvidal was among several displaced by that event's cancellation. He was scheduled to meet Bobby Green in what would have been his second fight this year and his sixth overall for Strikeforce.

The 27-year-old Masvidal has heard conflicting rumors about whether the January show will actually take place.

"I hear January is the last show, and then January isn't the last show," he said. "I don't know. I just hope that if it's completely and utterly dead, I want to go to Strikeforce's funeral, because what's going on is not cool.

"I know a lot of fighters want to be on that January show, so if I get on it, I'll be very thankful. But I don't know if I'm going to be on it. They haven't told me anything."

While fighters put out by the cancellation of a Strikeforce event scheduled for Sept. 29 were given some compensation for their time and effort, Masvidal has yet to receive any for the canceled November event. His rep expects that to arrive soon.

If he does fight in January, Masvidal is open to any opponent. He just wants to work.

"I don't even care if it's Green," he said. "Whoever they've got available. If it's Green, if it's not Green, I don't give a damn. However I can get my money.

"I'm trying to stay in shape if something comes up."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31490/video-strikeforces-jorge-masvidal-eyes-japan-if-hes-unable-to-fight-for-strikeforce.mma
wekka
wekka

Strikeforce's Jorge Masvidal eyes Japan if he's unable to fight for Strikeforce Empty Re: Strikeforce's Jorge Masvidal eyes Japan if he's unable to fight for Strikeforce

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:43 pm
It's disgusting how this Strikeforce situation has affected their own fighters. I'm sincerely hoping that the January show is the last one. What really sucks is they HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON! How pathetic. A card should've already been made and those that are unfortunate to not get a spot on it should be free to take fights elsewhere instead of letting their careers dwindle away.

As for Masvidal, i'd really like to see him up against Sakurai. Sounds really fun.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Strikeforce's Jorge Masvidal eyes Japan if he's unable to fight for Strikeforce Empty Re: Strikeforce's Jorge Masvidal eyes Japan if he's unable to fight for Strikeforce

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:50 pm
wekka wrote:It's disgusting how this Strikeforce situation has affected their own fighters. I'm sincerely hoping that the January show is the last one. What really sucks is they HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON! How pathetic. A card should've already been made and those that are unfortunate to not get a spot on it should be free to take fights elsewhere instead of letting their careers dwindle away.

As for Masvidal, i'd really like to see him up against Sakurai. Sounds really fun.

Yeah, SF is a disaster. I can't believe Showtime hasn't just dropped them already and move on to a new org. Zuffa destroyed SF and they have been letting them die a very slow death since the purchase over 1 1/2 years ago.

Masvidal vs. Kitaoka or Sakurai would be sweet. I'd prefer Kitaoka vs. Boku and Sakurai vs. Masvidal though.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum