GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
ZuffaKiller

The Fighting Life: Filipino Bantamweight Agustin “Tamasak” Delarmino, Jr.  Empty The Fighting Life: Filipino Bantamweight Agustin “Tamasak” Delarmino, Jr.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:26 pm
Born: July 4, 1988
City of Birth: Barotac, Iloilo, Philippines
Height: 168cm / 5’ 6”
Weight Class: Bantamweight (61kg / 135 lbs)
Record: 6-2
Styles: Boxing, Sanda, Muay Thai
Achievements: Best of the Best Champion (2011), URCC Superfight Champion (2011)

Background:

Everything in Delamino’s background pointed him towards a career in the Martial Arts: he comes from a family where all of his siblings (including his sister) compete in combat sports, his older brother Leonard competes as a Featherweight at Legend, and he was born in General Santos City – hometown of the legendary Filipino Boxer Manny Pacquiao.

Delarmino loves the thrill of adrenaline and excitement. Outside of MMA, he spends his free time dirt bike riding and mountaineering. He has always been into sports, moving from athletics to martial arts at age 17. Taking Pacquiao as his role model, Delarmino’s first combat sport was Boxing. In addition, he began to study Tae Kwon Do, competing as part of his high school’s varsity team, before transitioning to Wushu under Rene Catalan.

After high school, Delarmino added Muay Thai to his repertoire, competing in various regional tournaments that sometimes required him to fight up to four times in a single night. At the same time, he obtained his university degree in geography and history. His Muay Thai skills caught the attention of several Filipino MMA promotions, and Delarmino enthusiastically made the transition to Mixed Martial Arts full time, embracing the opportunity to add grappling and submissions to his arsenal: “MMA appeals to me as a true fighter since it gives me the opportunity to take everything that I’ve learned and apply it all in the purest form of competition against other Martial Artists.”

After signing with Legend in late 2011, Delarmino quickly made a name for himself as one of the most talented strikers in the Legend Bantamweight Division, finishing Taiwan’s Sung Ming-Yen under a minute at Legend 7 and earning Knockout of the Night against Kai Kara-France at Legend 8. From homegrown champion to international fighter, Delarmino is definitely a rising star in the world of Asia-Pacific MMA.

Q: What’s your favorite martial arts discipline?

Muay Thai, because of the history and culture it represents. I love the fluid motions and the use of the “Eight Limbs.”

Q: Who is your biggest inspiration?

Anderson Silva, because he is always improving, always humble, and never surrenders.

Q: What training camp are you a part of in preparation for your next bout?

Team FCI in Makati City.

Q: What is the meaning behind your nickname “Tamasak”?

Tamasak is a famous horse in my home province. The horse was legendary for killing enemies during the Spanish era with his powerful kicks. The legend is that the Americans and the Spaniards tried to buy the horse from its owner, but he refused to sell him because he had become the symbol of the community for his power, speed and fiercely independent attitude. I was given that nickname because I have KO power in both my hands and my feet.

Q: Do you prefer stand-up or the ground with your opponents?

I like stand-up fighting because that entertains the crowd more.

Q: How does being a fighter translate into your personal life?

Fighting has taught me how to push beyond my limits. It has kept me humble, knowing that I still have so many things to learn and improve on.

Q: What does it mean for you to be a fighter?

Fighting is my career. It’s my life. I live and breathe fighting. My body and mind are my tools, therefore I keep them well conditioned at all times.

Q: What holes do you see in your game based on your previous fights that you’d like to improve on?

I need to work on my takedown defense and my escape from the rear naked choke!

Q: Who was your toughest opponent to date?

My toughest opponent was Yao Honggang, who gave me my first loss at Legend.

Q: What separates you from every other fighter in your division?

I have KO power in both hands, and I never lose my composure during a fight.

Q: If you could have one dream fight with anyone, who would it be?

I would want a rematch with Yao Honggang. If I was given another chance, the outcome would be very different.

Q: How did fighting for Legend change your life?

With the help of our congressman, my Legend fights are shared with the entire community by being played in the school gymnasium. Our mayor also printed a big tarpaulin banner congratulating me for the two victories I earned at Legend. From a homegrown champion, I am now regarded as an international fighter, and many kids in our community gyms are now dreaming of following my footsteps in Legend. My Legend experience has afforded me the chance to be a good ambassador for my community outside the country. I also get to be a good role model for the youth in our community. I consider this a great blessing and a serious responsibility. As a bonus, I have developed so many international friends.

Q: What do you want to be remembered for at the end of your career?

That I was a good fighter who always fought my heart out in the ring.

Q: What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?

That I’m not just a fighter but also a performer. I have to entertain the people who paid good money to come watch me fight.

Q: Any last words for the fans?

Thanks for all the support! Watch the comeback of Tamasak at Legend 11!

http://www.legendfc.com/en/news/
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum