GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
ZuffaKiller

Cage Warriors 51 results: McGregor embarrasses Buchinger, 'JT-Money' wins title Empty Cage Warriors 51 results: McGregor embarrasses Buchinger, 'JT-Money' wins title

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:38 am
Conor McGregor entered the cage with a confidence that bordered on cockiness, but it proved more than justified as he dominated and embarrassed Ivan Buchinger to win his second Cage Warriors title.

The organization's reigning featherweight champion added the vacant lightweight belt to his collection with a highlight-reel knockout of the experienced Slovakian fighter in the main event of Cage Warriors 51.

The New Year's Eve event took place at The Helix in Dublin, and the main card streamed on MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) following prelims on Facebook.

McGregor (12-2), an Irishman, dazzled the crowd with what was simply a thrilling performance. After entering the cage to a huge reception, he scored an easy takedown and taunted Buchinger (21-4) when standing. Then, a little more than midway through the round, he dropped Buchinger with a perfectly placed left. Buchinger was out on his feet and slowly fell to the mat. McGregor, who had toyed with his opponent prio to the big punch, could do little but stand and admire his work.

"The Dubin people really get behind me and support me, and I'm just happy to come out here and put a show on for them," he said.

McGregor, who's now won eight straight fights all via stoppage (six in the first round), hopes his latest performance garners some attention from the UFC, where he'll likely find challenges worthy of his obvious talent.

'JT-Money' Taylor takes middleweight title

Jesse "JT-Money" Taylor (25-9) and his world tour resulted in another belt for his collection; the former UFC fighter and "The Ultimate Fighter 7" runner-up defeated Irish fighter Chris Fields (10-6) on home soil to take the Cage Warriors middleweight title.

Taylor needed little more than a round to secure the dominant victory.

Taylor easily scored takedowns, had a stifling top game, and unloaded a steady stream of ground and pound during his wrestling-heavy first round. Then, after catching a front kick early in the second round, he forced the fight to the mat and took Fields' back.

Fields, who won the title in a bout with Pavel Kusch following Cage Warriors' injury-plagued middleweight tournament, couldn't fight off the choke. Taylor, who's recently fought at welterweight but looked bulked up for his middleweight return, needed to secure just one hook to muscle the tap-out from the deep rear-naked choke. The end came just 66 seconds into the round.

"I'm old school, so I'll do any weight class," said Taylor, who made his promotional debut earlier this year. "I can't do lightweight, but let's do this.

"I want to fight as soon as possible. If it were up to me, I'd fight everyday. This is my life, my livelihood. ... Maybe one day the UFC will call me. If not, I'm perfectly happy right here."

Kankaanpaa tops Daly, Mason successfully ends busy year

In the night's lone female fight, Katja Kankaanpaa (7-0-1) built on her undefeated record and spoiled the homecoming of fellow 120-pounder Aisling Daly (13-5) via unanimous decision. The Finnish wrestler dominated the action on the mat, threatened with a few submissions, and held her own standing to defeat the Irish fighter via 30-27, 30-27 and 29-28 scores.

Jack Mason (22-6) ended a busy 2012 campaign on a winning note and went 5-2 on the year with a grinding unanimous-decision victory over fellow welterweight Florent Betorangal (10-6). The ref issued Mason a questionable one-point deduction in the third round for a headbutt, but despite the point loss, he comfortably took the unanimous-decision victory via 29-27 scores.

In the night's competitive main-card opener, Paul Redmond (5-3) delivered fellow lightweight Ryan Roddy (5-1) his first career loss with a second-round submission via toehold. Redmond grabbed the hold when his opponent attempted butterfly guard on a takedown attempt. After the victory, which moved him to 3-0 in the promotion, Redmond was rewarded with a new five-fight Cage Warriors contract.

The full Cage Warriors 51 results included:

MAIN CARD

Conor McGregor def. Ivan Buchinger via KO (punch) - Round 1, 3:40 - wins vacant lightweight title
Jesse Taylor def. Chris Fields via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 2, 1:06 - to become new middleweight champion
Katja Kankaanpaa def. Aisling Daly via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
Jack Mason def. Florent Betorangal via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 29-27)
Paul Redmond def. Ryan Roddy via submission (toehold) - Round 2, 2:14

PRELIMINARY CARD

James Brum def. Moktar Benkaci unanimous decision (30-28, 29-28, 29-28
Tommy Quinn def. Philip Mulpeter via majority decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-29)
Henry Fadipe def. Charlie Watts via TKO (strikes) - Round 1, 1:09

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/cage-warriors-51-results
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum