GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
ZuffaKiller

Former Bellator champ Zach Makovsky dropping to flyweight for next fight Empty Former Bellator champ Zach Makovsky dropping to flyweight for next fight

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:21 pm
It turns out Eddie Alvarez isn’t the only former Bellator champion to be caught off-guard by the company’s tactics, as Zach Makovsky was recently released after falling in his first fight back since dropping the organization’s bantamweight belt last April. Even more curious, the defeat came by way of a Split Decision rather than some sort of definitive finish.

Regardless, Makovsky is currently a free agent and, in his opinion, getting cut by Bellator may have hurt at first but has ultimately turned out to be a good thing where his career is concerned.

“I wrestled my whole life and cut weight my whole life so I never really wanted to cut too much anymore, but times are changing so I think it’s the right move,” said Makovsky in an interview with MMAWeekly, revealing he planned to slim down to 125 pounds for future action. “That weight class is opening up, the UFC has a flyweight division and all the lighter weight classes are getting more popular. I think it’s a good time to do it.”

“They don’t have a flyweight division and I think that’s the best move for me, so I think it was actually a blessing in disguise,” continued Makovsky, pointing to the positive side of getting axed by Bellator. “I had four more fights on my contract and if you go back in a tournament you have to sign a new tournament contract, and if you end up winning your contract gets extended, so if you want to make a move it gets really hard to get out of your contract. I think if I was looking to make a move to 125 pounds, this was really the best thing.”

Makovsky, who made his Bellator debut in June 2010, holds an overall record of 14-4 with seven stoppages. Prior to his back-to-back losses Makovsky had won eight straight.
http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2013/01/10/former-bellator-champ-zach-makovsky-dropping-to-flyweight-for-next-fight/
Sonatine
Sonatine

Former Bellator champ Zach Makovsky dropping to flyweight for next fight Empty Re: Former Bellator champ Zach Makovsky dropping to flyweight for next fight

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:27 pm
Makovsky vs. Vila for a future bout perhaps? Or Makovsky vs. Yamaguchi/Montague/Tome?
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum