GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MR.WILLIE

Froch vs Kessler rematch: Fighters come to terms, official announcement soon... Empty Froch vs Kessler rematch: Fighters come to terms, official announcement soon...

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:53 pm
Carl Froch and Mikkel Kessler have officially come to terms on a rematch, with an official announcement of a date and venue coming soon, putting an end to most of a somewhat difficult negotiating period that saw the fight on, off, and on again.

The rematch will take place in England this spring, with May 25 the expected date at the O2 Arena in London.

"First and foremost, I'm really pleased the fight has finally been arranged," Froch said. "I feared that Kessler had second thoughts about his promise, but the man has come good on his word."

Said Kessler, "I promised Carl we would meet again and here we are, getting ready to leave it all in the ring for a second time. I have the utmost of respect for Carl. I feel we are very much alike. He is a great champion, a true warrior that has fought the best opponents all over the world in some of the most hostile places, just like me. Our first fight, especially the last round, showed what we are all about and I was anxious to do it again."

Froch, 35, and Kessler, 33, fought in April 2010 in Denmark, with Kessler edging out a decision win that could have gone either way.

The last bit of bargaining to be done is with the IBF, as Froch would like to hold on to his super middleweight title, allowing this fight to have two belts on the line, as Kessler holds the WBA "regular" title (Andre Ward is the "super" champion). Past comments lead one to believe it's basically a formality, and the IBF will grant Froch a pass to defend against Kessler rather than mandatory challenger Adonis Stevenson.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2013/1/15/3879632/froch-vs-kessler-rematch-fighters-come-terms-official-announcement-soon-date-venue-boxing-news
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum