GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
ZuffaKiller

Dejected by title loss, Bellator's 'Pitbull' Freire says 135-170 pounds possible Empty Dejected by title loss, Bellator's 'Pitbull' Freire says 135-170 pounds possible

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:34 pm
It's been a month since he fought, but Patricio Freire (17-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) says that's too long.

"From 135 to 170 [pounds] give me the toughest guy available on March 21," the Brazilian recently tweeted to his bosses at Bellator.

Freire said he "did the math" on the time he'd need to cut to 135 pounds and arrived at the March date, which hosts Bellator 93.

"I'm clear-minded and focused," he subsequently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I simply wish to keep fighting."

The Season 4 tournament winner clearly wants to erase the memory of his recent title fight with Pat Curran, which ended in a split call for the featherweight champ at this past month's Bellator 85 event. But Freire also remembers the long layoff that preceded his title shot and its negative effect on his performance.

"After my last victory in May of 2011, I underwent hand surgery and ultimately ended up waiting 20 months to face Pat Curran," Freire said. "Ours was a fierce fight. I pushed the pace for all five rounds despite being on the receiving end of some headbutts.

"I pressed the champion, and the result was a split decision. Since I was coming from a period of inactivity, I feel I can do better in a rematch if I could regain my fighting rhythm."

Freire not only feels that being busier will help him reach peak performance, but also help him capitalize on the interest generated from his fight with Curran.

"I want to bring Bellator's attention to the fact that our fight broke viewership records in both the U.S. and in Brazil," he said. "I'm not asking for any sort of compensation, other than to be booked for another fight as soon as possible."

A Bellator official said Freire isn't booked for any other fight cards in the promotion's current season, but that could quickly change.

Prior to his setback, the featherweight won the Season 4 tournament after another split call – this one against Joe Warren – dashed his hopes at winning the Season 2 competition. Prior to that, he was unbeaten as a professional.

Freire said his walk-around weight of 165 pounds would allow him to fight as heavy as 170 pounds or as light as 135, though in all likelihood, his performance would be compromised at either weight.

"I would love an immediate rematch against Curran," he said. "But it's not going to happen because (Season 6 tourney winner) Daniel Straus is next. In my opinion, even though Curran is the champion, he won by split decision, so that leaves something to be desired.

"Since Curran is booked, my other choice is Warren, who is the only other fighter to get a win over me. I have already asked to fight Warren, but I didn't get it because he's not leaving the bantamweight class. So, I have no problem losing the weight and meeting him at his preferred weight.

"Besides those two, it could be anyone. Unfortunately, a lot of the good fighters near my weight are tied up in ongoing tournaments. Nonetheless, I'm sure I am beating whoever they book me against."

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/02/dejected-by-title-loss-bellators-pitbull-freire-says-135-170-pounds-possible
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum