GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Weena

UFC Fuel fighter to watch (not the main event) Empty UFC Fuel fighter to watch (not the main event)

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:20 am
Not many are familiar with the name Conor McGregor but I think that will change after his UFC debut this weekend. Now that Gus is out of the main event slot formerly against Mousasi, this is the debuting fighter that peaks my interest the most.

A new featherweight match has been booked at UFC Stockholm 2013th According to a source close to the UFC as both Conor McGregor and Marcus Brimage verbally confirmed to meet April 6 in Stockholm.

The hard-hitting Irishman McGregor will make his UFC debut at UFC Stockholm 2013. He joins as a champion of Cage Warriors in both the lightweight division and the featherweight division. He has an MMA career with 12 wins and 2 losses behind them, and currently has eight straight wins.

He will take on Brimage who entered the UFC via The Ultimate Fighter 14th He began his MMA career in 2007, and has managed seven fights in his career so far. These are divided into six wins and one loss, and three of these fights are in the UFC. He made his UFC debut on the card in the finale of The Ultimate Fighter 14 when he defeated Stephen Bass via a unanimous decision. Since then he has won two decisions, last fighting at UFC 152 in september last year.

The two are now ready to step into the octagon on April 6 in Globen, Stockholm.

Last edited by Dagwood on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:01 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added video)
KSW
KSW

UFC Fuel fighter to watch (not the main event) Empty Re: UFC Fuel fighter to watch (not the main event)

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:29 am
Good call, we talked about this guy before. I really like his kickboxing.
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

UFC Fuel fighter to watch (not the main event) Empty Re: UFC Fuel fighter to watch (not the main event)

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:09 am
Weena wrote:
Not many are familiar with the name Conor McGregor but I think that will change after his UFC debut this weekend. Now that Gus is out of the main event slot formerly against Mousasi, this is the debuting fighter that peaks my interest the most.

I've been waiting for nearly 20 yrs. for a fellow Irishmen (Scott sounding name) to get to big time MMA. alien Most Irish grandmas have better boxing and better chins than 80% of UFC'ers. lol

This McGregor kid looks pretty good on his feet. What's his top & bottom ground game like? I see his 2 losses were by submission?
Weena

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:19 am
Dagwood wrote:
Weena wrote:

I've been waiting for nearly 20 yrs. for a fellow Irishmen (Scott sounding name) to get to big time MMA. alien Most Irish grandmas have better boxing and better chins than 80% of UFC'ers. lol

This McGregor kid looks pretty good on his feet. What's his top & bottom ground game like? I see his 2 losses were by submission?
I believe he's a green belt in BJJ.
Weena

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:24 am
Some quotes from an interview regarding his UFC call up...

Despite his spine-tingling potential, McGregor knows he’ll have a hole in his resume until he makes a mark in the UFC, which is teeming with top-notch wrestlers. Wrestlers have traditionally given good European fighters fits. As such, McGregor’s ground game and takedown defense would seem, on paper, to be areas a wrestler might look to test. McGregor, for one, isn’t worried.

“We’ll see,” McGregor said. “I know my wrestling is really good, and my jiu-jitsu is really good. I can fight off my back. I’m not afraid. But really, it’s something I’ll show, not something I’ll say.”
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:28 am
Weena wrote:
Dagwood wrote:
Weena wrote:

I believe he's a green belt in BJJ.

A lot of times when there are events Weena guys will go on chat while the fights are on. Just scroll way down to the bottom off the homepage to login. Or, clink on the link on the top navbar to go to a full page version.

This happens for quite a few events for Bellator & the UFC as well as JMMA, M-1, KSW, WSOF, Glory, K-1 & more... It's a bit hit and miss for a crowd but it's fun when chat gets happening.

Junkyard Log
Junkyard Log

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:24 am
Yeah this guy is good I watched him in Cage Warriors before.
Dorch
Dorch

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:16 pm
I remember him , someone posted him as the lost diaz brother . Good luck to him
wekka
wekka

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:27 pm
I love how Sherdog picked Brimage to win against him lol.

McGregor is FAR more polished and has devastating striking ability. I guess some believe that Brimage's athleticism and wrestler could pose problems but I don't see it being a problem as McGregor is every bit as athletic and isn't anywhere near as green.
Weena

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:56 pm
I don't want to cream all over myself too soon, as fun as that is, but this kid is "for real!"
KSW
KSW

Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:44 am
Weena wrote:I don't want to cream all over myself too soon, as fun as that is, but this kid is "for real!"
His stand up was crisp as f#ck
KSW
KSW

Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:50 am
Blackzilian

Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:11 pm
I thought you quit the internet?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum