GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Roy Jones-Rampage Jackson in Play For Bellator PPV Empty Roy Jones-Rampage Jackson in Play For Bellator PPV

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:28 am
By Edward Chaykovsky

Former four division champion Roy Jones Jr. (56-8) will finally get to fight a big name in Mixed Martial Arts, but it won't be the recently defeated Anderson Silva. According to a report by MMA Junkie, Viacom is expected to announce a fight Bellator pay-per-view headliner between Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (32-11 MMA record) and Roy Jones Jr. Early details suggest the fight is going to be a boxing match, scheduled for the end of the year. The date and the weight has not been revealed.

"We've been talking to Roy and his people over a potential 'Rampage' vs. Roy fight for over seven months. If it happens, it would be an incredible fight. Boxing and MMA have both been discussed, and (Bellator Chairman and CEO) Bjorn (Rebney) has been in these discussions every step of the way. I can't say much more than that. We'll see what happens," a source involved in the negotiations told the MMA outlet.
http://www.boxingscene.com/roy-jones-rampage-jackson-play-bellator-ppv--68017
wekka
wekka

Roy Jones-Rampage Jackson in Play For Bellator PPV Empty Re: Roy Jones-Rampage Jackson in Play For Bellator PPV

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:44 am
I honestly think this is a terrible idea. Please keep boxing and mma separate.
Realidea
Realidea

Roy Jones-Rampage Jackson in Play For Bellator PPV Empty Re: Roy Jones-Rampage Jackson in Play For Bellator PPV

Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:01 am
literally nothing good can come out of this
Adax

Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:57 am
I'm pretty confused as well. So it's just this one boxing match or will they put more on? Maybe they'll sign Klitschko to fight Darrill Schoonover after Aleks steals his soul.

A little off topic, have there ever been boxing and MMA combo cards? Obviously there's the combo kickboxing and MMA cards(lol Cage Rage cage kickboxing) but I personally just haven't heard of the boxingxMMA combo.
backdoor to zuffa
backdoor to zuffa

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:47 am
roy jones was actually part of a boxing/mma card. i believe it was jones vs omar sheika in the main event with monson/nelson and lashley/guida as 2 of the mma fights. i'm pretty sure that was the same show.
wekka
wekka

Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:06 am
^ yeah, it was called March Badness and it.definitely lived up to its moniker.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:44 am
Roy Jones by TKO or decision.  I don't think Page has much of a shot at all in this fight.
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:26 am
Bad move by Bellator. It makes them look like a fly-by-night promotion instead of a legitimate threat to the Zuffa empire.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:50 am
I don't have a problem with this. I like that Bellator has the versatility to allow cross over stuff, like TNA, Glory, etc. Despite all the talk about Anderson Silva-Jones, it was never going to be possible under Zuffa's model. I find it encouraging that Bellator can get things like this done. Besides, there is a bit of Pride feeling with this sort of fight, even if it is a bit of a sideshow. Like all the K-1 vs Pride battles in kickboxing as well as MMA. This is a bit different, but still. And we don't even know for sure the details. I really doubt it would be MMA, and I fully expect boxing. Who knows, I've read Roy Jones is also a very good kickboxer so there's that. I wonder, will they have a boxing ring and a cage side by side? It could be interesting if they through some additional boxing matches on the card, maybe some kickboxing matches. All just talk, but I think that Bellator has really been trying to think outside the box.
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:02 pm
Agreed
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:59 pm
nodogoshi wrote:I don't have a problem with this. I like that Bellator has the versatility to allow cross over stuff, like TNA, Glory, etc. Despite all the talk about Anderson Silva-Jones, it was never going to be possible under Zuffa's model. I find it encouraging that Bellator can get things like this done. Besides, there is a bit of Pride feeling with this sort of fight, even if it is a bit of a sideshow. Like all the K-1 vs Pride battles in kickboxing as well as MMA. This is a bit different, but still. And we don't even know for sure the details. I really doubt it would be MMA, and I fully expect boxing. Who knows, I've read Roy Jones is also a very good kickboxer so there's that. I wonder, will they have a boxing ring and a cage side by side? It could be interesting if they through some additional boxing matches on the card, maybe some kickboxing matches. All just talk, but I think that Bellator has really been trying to think outside the box.

Good post.  I agree.
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:24 pm
Also this spoils Silva's talk of boxing Roy if rampage does it first.

To me this would be no different then pride allowing fedor to compete in sambo and its not like rampage is going pro all the way its a superfight.

More or all promotions should allow martial artists ti compete in a chosen martial art occasionally like Tyrone sponge is doing it would help bring recognition to all martial arts as well as allow guys to get to keep their base style always sharpened.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum