GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MR.WILLIE

Former DEEP champ Katsunori Kikuno signs with UFC Empty Former DEEP champ Katsunori Kikuno signs with UFC

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:32 pm
In advance of a planned Asian expansion, the UFC continues to add talent from that region, as Katsunori Kikuno (21-5-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has joined the world's largest MMA promotion.

MMAjunkie.com today confirmed with sources close to Kikuno that the former DEEP lightweight champion has signed a multi-fight deal with the promotion.

UFC officials have yet to announce the signing, and an octagon debut date for the fighter was not immediately clear.

The 31-year-old Kikuno is a Japanese native and black belt in judo and Kyokushin karate, and his fighting style is highly reflective of his traditional martial arts background. His previous 28 professional MMA contests have all taken place in his native Japan.

Fighting professionally since 2005, Kikuno opened his career with just one loss in his first 15 appearances, picking up a DEEP lightweight tournament win along the way with victories over Koichiro Matsumoto, Bu Kyung Jung and Jang Yong Kim. With the victory in the eight-man bracket, he was awarded the promotion's lightweight belt.

Kikuno would balance his DEEP responsibilities with five appearances under the DREAM banner, picking up wins over Daisuke Nakamura, Kuniyoshi Hironaka and Andre Amade while suffering a few high-profile losses to Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante and Eddie Alvarez.

Most recently, Kikuno has put together a five-fight win streak that includes four first-round finishes – a run that three stoppages of 67 seconds or less.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/10/source-former-deep-champ-katsunori-kikuno-signs-with-ufc
Adax

Former DEEP champ Katsunori Kikuno signs with UFC Empty Re: Former DEEP champ Katsunori Kikuno signs with UFC

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:39 pm
Well shit, UFC complaining about a bloated roster but Horiguchi's win was too convincing for them to not vulture JMMA talent I suppose.

I really hope they actually pay these Japanese fighters decently. I bet the match ups for Kawajiri and Kikuno are going to be horrid. JOE SILVA COULDN'T MATCH UP A PAIR OF SHOES.
KSW
KSW

Former DEEP champ Katsunori Kikuno signs with UFC Empty Re: Former DEEP champ Katsunori Kikuno signs with UFC

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:40 pm
The bad news keep coming. When will these mafia scumbags stop taking all the good fighters? No one should support Zuffa.
PRIDE4EVER
PRIDE4EVER

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:54 pm
Wow does the UFC plan on buying all of JMMA today
adam
adam

Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:11 pm
was about to post this.

another big loss for JMMA
wekka
wekka

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:37 pm
I think id rather Kawajiri get two fights a year as opposed to sitting on ass for a year and a half. I'm happy Kawajiri signed with the UFC, that way he'll actually get fights.

I think losing Kikuno is actually good for DEEP. With his inclusion on top of Daisuke and Kitaoka, it made it very hard for DEEP to really groom any new talent. Outside of Kishimoto and whomever wins the LWGP final, DEEP really has too much disparity in its lightweight division. This way, I hope we'll get to see new stars in the near future.

It works out for Kikuno too. He's already faced the top three guys in the division and that's really all there is of all the fighters that are on his level. He's been wasting his time fighting bottom of the barrel scraps from ROAD FC. He needs competition and that's stateside nowadays.
KSW
KSW

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:46 pm
wekka wrote:I'm happy Kawajiri signed with the UFC, that way he'll actually get fights.
You should never be happy when a fighter signs with UFC Evil or Very Mad 
megaronnie
megaronnie

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:55 pm
Relax guys this all part of Shigs plan to buy the ufc. Him and Dana and imanari are prolly sharing a sauna right now going over da details.

Never Forget.......

Former DEEP champ Katsunori Kikuno signs with UFC 9jwrhb10
Fairweather

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:08 pm
i thought their roster was too full?
wekka
wekka

Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:57 pm
Fairweather wrote:i thought their roster was too full?
It's different when you're signing world class fighters, not guys with a total of three fights from North Dakota.
PRIDE4EVER
PRIDE4EVER

Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:39 pm
wekka wrote:
Fairweather wrote:i thought their roster was too full?
It's different when you're signing world class fighters, not guys with a total of three fights from North Dakota.

This.......that's what I have been saying for awhile now if you need to pack your roster do it with guys who deserve it like kawajiri not some no name regional guy with less than 10 fights who fights in bars on Friday night.
backdoor to zuffa
backdoor to zuffa

Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:47 am
Kikuno is one of my favorite Japanese fighters. I'm glad to be able to watch him on tv now, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth that he's with UFC now as DEEP is my favorite JMMA organization. It sucks he's gone from their roster. He'll probably be given unfavorable matchups. Joe Silva seems to have a hard-on for that.

We are Global-MMA.com.

-backdoor to zuffa
SRC
SRC

Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:09 am
I think they'll give Kikuno some softballs to start. Kawajiri will get the hard stuff right off the bat.

Former DEEP champ Katsunori Kikuno signs with UFC BJIun1O
wekka
wekka

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:16 am
Kikuno will be given guys like Njokuani, Guillard, and Makdessi.
SRC
SRC

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:51 am
wekka wrote:Kikuno will be given guys like Njokuani, Guillard, and Makdessi.
It's sad when guys like that can dead him if he fights like a retard. His footwork is absolutely terrible. He needs to fix it.

wekka
wekka

Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:32 pm
Id hope that'd change since he's finally fighting on a bigger stage once again. He's really been bad with fighting the same level as his opposition. Unless its a total can like LUIZ.
wekka
wekka

Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:01 pm
Kikuno has been booked against Quinn Mulhern for his debut fight in January at Singapore.

Very winnabe fight, I do believe. Kikuno's striking is vastly superior and I think he can.handle Mulhern's grappling. Quinn's a pretty big.lightweight and I can see Kikuno having problems throughout the fight trying to find range, though.
SRC
SRC

Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:49 pm
Kikuno better win or I will quit watching DEEP Forever. It's on you now, warrior.

backdoor to zuffa
backdoor to zuffa

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:32 am
Quinn who? Quinn Butthorn? Kikuno's got this. Road to hero, bros.

We are Global-MMA.com.

-backdoor to zuffa
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum