GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

vitor and trt great article Empty vitor and trt great article

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:52 pm

With vitor and trt being a hot debate I read this a couple days ago u guys should read all credit goes to the writer.

By: Raz, MMATorch UK Columnist

Welcome to this week's edition of MOTW! This week I will be focusing on comments made this past week by the MMA legend Vitor Belfort. Belfort has come under a lot of criticism throughout his career, most recently in the form of his use of TRT. I have written before on the rights and wrongs of TRT and the use in our sport. I would like to state, I'm a big fan of Belfort, and have followed his career from an early stage; I have enjoyed and marvelled at his work in and out of the fight game for a long time, and I would say he is a true legend of the sport. Unfortunately, he has garnered unwanted attention for his use of testosterone becoming one of the key examples of why TRT shouldn't be permitted in MMA.

TRT Exemption

The TRT exemptions have been floating around the MMA world for some time now, being prescribed by doctors to help athletes raise their testosterone to that of a fighter at peak age. With notable names such as Rampage Jackson, Dan Henderson, and Chael Sonnen all well known figures utilizing TRT, why Belfort has been given such a hard time for his use comes in question.

The idea of TRT is to "level the playing field" as some fighters have come to explain, but it would appear that's not how the majority of fighters or fans feel. Belfort tested positive in 2006 for elevated testosterone in his first bout with Dan Henderson, with many suspecting steroids being a factor. The exemption for TRT may be justified for athletes who are at an unfair disadvantage due to low testosterone, but in Belfort's case, the argument is made that due to his rumoured steroid abuse, he damaged his own system and ability to produce testosterone naturally.

A lot of fans and media alike don't believe TRT exemptions should be provided for any fighter, let alone those with a history of steroid abuse. Throwing a trump card into the works, the executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, Keith Kizer, came out and stated that past steroids users, including Vitor Belfort, were likely to be denied TRT exemptions by the NSAC. In other words, Vitor wouldn't be allowed to train with TRT should he be competing in the fight capital of the world, Las Vegas.

Exclusive to Brazil

Some would say Belfort has been given special treatment, dictating who he fights and where he fights. When Belfort beat Michael Bisping back in January he was tainted by questions of his TRT use. With it appearing the NSAC would not give Belfort exemption for his TRT use, and troubled by the fans, the UFC continued to let Belfort fight in his native Brazil, going as far as claiming that their TV partner in Brazil (Globo) were asking for Belfort to main event.

After Belfort beat Luke Rockhold by TRT kick, he claimed to be the number one contender. When Anderson Silva lost to Chris Weidman, Belfort demanded a title shot and wasn't taking no for an answer. He called, texted, and tweeted until the whole world knew he was next in line. Those demands weren't met, and showed for the first time he couldn't have his way.

Since then Belfort has gone on the record stating he wouldn't risk his position in the middleweight division, and will only fight at catch weight or light heavyweight. This way if Belfort takes a loss it wouldn't harm his position in the division. Well, his next fight is against Dan Henderson, and would you believe it, the location of the fight is yet again Brazil.

I understand the UFC wanting to keep their TV partners happy in Brazil, with it being a growing market and a huge success. It is viable to give the market what they want, but at what cost? I would like to state, I have nothing but love for Belfort and all his accomplishments, and I don't believe the UFC is keeping Belfort in Brazil for some type of conspiracy, but he has been given the benefit of the doubt. Fighting Dan Henderson, who is also someone utilizing TRT, will make this fight a fair and level fight, and nobody will be able to make an argument for either.

The competitive edge

My only argument regarding TRT and its use is down to fairness. Is it fair for a fighter who is fighting past his years to be able to train like a fighter who is young and peaking? Michael Bisping once stated that if a fighter's testosterone is that low to the point they require TRT, they should no longer be fighting. I personally believe any type of performance enhancing drug that gives a competitive edge in a sport should be under the scrutiny of a third party doctor or be banned from the sport altogether, but making things even more urgent is the fact that MMA is a combat sport and people can get seriously hurt. I don't want to target Belfort, but time and time again he makes the wrong comments which catches people's attention. As a whole I believe this should be monitored more closely. For the people that hate on Vitor, you can't hate somebody for following the rules, and if the rules didn't allow it, then no fighters could do it. Don't blame the fighter but blame the regulations.

This Weeks Comment

"I've already said that, if they agree with it, I would (stop doing TRT) No problem at all. If they want me to get there in a disadvantage, that's ok."

This was the comment made by Belfort this week,which left media confused. It comes into question of what Vitor wants and what Vitor needs. If Belfort is given a title shot he will drop the TRT. I personally think Belfort was trying to tell the media he would do anything he could for a title shot, even fight under no performance enhancing substance which he believes is a sacrifice. I think Belfort honestly believes by using TRT he is just making things fair, and I'm sure he has spent many hours convincing himself of that, with his camp likely obliging to tell him it's fair. At the moment Belfort is looking better than ever, and looking in peak condition he has taken out some serious names. If Belfort could fight without TRT, the argument becomes about the differences between needs and wants.

The Future of Vitor Belfort

There are so many whats and ifs which are clouding Belfort's future within the middleweight division, especially with his next fight taking place at light heavyweight. If Belfort beats Henderson in this rematch, then it would be hard not to argue his claim to a title shot. I believe if he wins this fight he will have done enough to earn that title fight, but where would the UFC put it?

I mean, if the Brazilian TV partner is requesting Brazil, will the UFC let them have it? This brings up a lot of interesting questions. Would they put the Anderson Silva-Chris Weidman winner vs. Vitor Belfort in Brazil, which could mark the fourth straight fight for Belfort in his native Brazil? Realistically it would be a great business move, and either way the UFC could market this really well to the Brazilian fans.

If Belfort fights Weidman in Brazil, you can see the marketing now: "UFC 175: Weidman vs Belfort –Pride." Selling this as a revenge fight for the Brazilian fans could potentially be huge, with Belfort taking revenge against Weidman for Brazil after he dethroned the GOAT Anderson Silva. On the other hand, you could have it as "UFC 175: Silva vs Belfort –Revenge," pushing this as one of the biggest rematches of all time for bragging rights in Brazil.

Either way, it would make good business sense to have the title fight in Brazil, but as you can imagine there would be some backlash from the fans and media alike for allowing Belfort to fight in Brazil yet again.

How about if Belfort falls victim to the cannon of a right hand Hendo throws? Well for me this would be simple, he should lose his rank within the division, not just for the small picture but for the bigger picture, sending a clear message that you can't pick and choose where and when you fight without there being some rank alteration implication involved.

I can only assume Belfort is under the impression if he loses this fight it won't matter because he is still ranked so high in the middleweight division that even with a loss he has a case for a title shot which shouldn't be the case. I honestly believe Vitor has been the target of a lot of negative criticism regarding the TRT exemptions, but it has to be said he doesn't make it easy on himself with certain comments he makes, and the way he approaches the his UFC career. I believe Vitor has the fastest hands in MMA, and truly is a legend to be enjoyed; but no matter what his future holds or how clouded his reputation has become, I think he will be seen as one of the greatest fighters in MMA and deservedly so. I only hope he takes a different approach to TRT, because sadly some may only remember his career for being the face of TRT. He deserves better than that, but now it all comes down to Belfort vs Hendo. I'm taking Belfort by TKO. I would love to hear who you guys think will win?
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

vitor and trt great article Empty Re: vitor and trt great article

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:22 am
"I've already said that, if they agree with it, I would (stop doing TRT) No problem at all. If they want me to get there in a disadvantage, that's ok."

Dis advantage? You mean the type of disadvantage you created for hendo when you roided in pride?

Or the disadvantage you create everytime you fight before a BS comitee and use lab made testosterone even though you don't meet the criteria for therapeutic use because you shriveled your nuts.

Just wondering LOL Smile

"Catch wrestling is the violent sport,don't get me wrong bjj guys are bad asses but its pro wrestling all the way."WARMASTER

BELLATOR #1
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum