GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC matches Bellator offer, re-signs Gilbert Melendez; Melendez + Pettis to Coach TUF 20

+9
CDF47
stu3ufc
adam
megaronnie
fka
Rocksoldier84
Dagwood
God of Thunder
MR.WILLIE
13 posters
Go down
MR.WILLIE

UFC matches Bellator offer, re-signs Gilbert Melendez; Melendez + Pettis to Coach TUF 20  Empty UFC matches Bellator offer, re-signs Gilbert Melendez; Melendez + Pettis to Coach TUF 20

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:07 am
By Shaun Al-Shatti @shaunalshatti on Feb 23 2014, 11:43p

The UFC has agreed to match Bellator's offer sheet to keep top-ranked free-agent lightweight Gilbert Melendez, sources close to the situation told MMAFighting.com on Sunday.

Per the terms of the agreement, according to several sources, Melendez's deal guarantees that at least 75 percent of the 31-year-old's fights will be contested on pay-per-view moving forward. Additionally, income earned from Melendez's contracted pay-per-view points will kick in at a lower minimum buy rate than for any contract in UFC history, meaning Melendez will still earn pay-per-view point income on an event that underperforms at the box office.

Melendez will also earn pay-per-view income regardless of his placement on an event, i.e., regardless of whether he fights in the main event, co-main event or main card.

Altogether, the terms of the deal will likely make Melendez one of the highest paid fighters in the current mixed martial arts landscape.

Upon learning of the deal, MMAFighting.com reached out to Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney, who issued the following statement.

"It's my understanding that the UFC matched the deal we agreed to with Gilbert," Rebney said. "While I haven't yet spoken to Gilbert's management team, I have heard from various sources that the UFC matched our offer. We have a stacked lightweight roster and Gil would have made a great addition to it, yet I'm glad he was able to go out, explore the free agent market and get paid what he deserves. That's what the free market system is all about. I'm happy for Gil, that through this process he was able to ensure long term financial security for himself and his family. That's what the fighters that put it all on the line inside the cage deserve.

"This process has shown that in MMA, there are two legitimate options for fighters. And, as I said last week, with two large scale options for fighters in MMA, fighters negotiating power is dramatically improved. Our actions throughout this process accomplished that for Gilbert right now, and in the future it will do the same for countless additional fighters. Some will end up in Bellator and some will end up in the UFC. But, either way, the sport benefits. Now our focus turns to the task at hand, which is our Season 10 kickoff this Friday on Spike TV."

UFC officials did not immediately return requests to comment.

Currently the No. 2 ranked lightweight on the UFC roster, Melendez agreed to terms with Bellator MMA on an undisclosed "multi-fight, multi-year" deal in mid-February following soured contract negotiations with the UFC. Due to the terms of Melendez's original Zuffa contract, the UFC retained the right to match any competing offer, which it has now elected to do.

Melendez holds a 1-1 record under the UFC banner. Following the collapse of Strikeforce, where Melendez served as the promotion's long-reigning lightweight champion, Melendez fought to a controversial split decision loss against then-UFC title holder Benson Henderson in his Octagon debut. He followed up that performance with a ‘Fight of the Year' candidate win over Diego Sanchez, which UFC President Dana White called "one of the best fights I've ever seen."

UPDATE: Following the release of this report, UFC officials announced that Melendez will coach opposite lightweight champion Anthony Pettis on season 20 of The Ultimate Fighter, which will be followed by a title fight between the two coaches in late-2014.

MMA Fighting
God of Thunder
God of Thunder

UFC matches Bellator offer, re-signs Gilbert Melendez; Melendez + Pettis to Coach TUF 20  Empty Re: UFC matches Bellator offer, re-signs Gilbert Melendez; Melendez + Pettis to Coach TUF 20

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:22 am
When Bellator matched the UFC offer regarding Eddie Alvarez people went nuts. It will be interesting to hear what the zombies have to say about UFC doing the same thing.

Very bad news anyways.
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

UFC matches Bellator offer, re-signs Gilbert Melendez; Melendez + Pettis to Coach TUF 20  Empty Re: UFC matches Bellator offer, re-signs Gilbert Melendez; Melendez + Pettis to Coach TUF 20

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:00 am
Golden Age wrote:When Bellator matched the UFC offer regarding Eddie Alvarez people went nuts. It will be interesting to hear what the zombies have to say about UFC doing the same thing.

Very bad news anyways.

Not so. This is a game changer for 'name' fighter pay & negotiating power. I mean this is a monumental happening for the sport.

It is also a HUGE blow to the stability of the UFC. Their labor costs are going to sky rocket. IMO the cash grabs they being trying to implement as of late (fight pass, major sponsor uniforms, a million new self destructive watered down cards, WFD etc.) are because they are idiotically over extended with their outside the US expansion efforts. The reason their doing that is because their domestic market at home is dying.

When you combine this with a huge 180 in UFC fan perception of the company and its leadership this last while, there is a reason Dana is imploding mentally & Lorenzo looks so unbelievably troubled every time he's caught on camera.

UFC matches Bellator offer, re-signs Gilbert Melendez; Melendez + Pettis to Coach TUF 20  Lorenzo_Fertitta_explains_why_MMA_is_still_not_sanctioned_in_New_York
Rocksoldier84
Rocksoldier84

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:56 am
Golden Age wrote:When Bellator matched the UFC offer regarding Eddie Alvarez people went nuts. It will be interesting to hear what the zombies have to say about UFC doing the same thing.

Agree with this but we know the zombies will have no problem.

Stuff like this angers me with MMA fans and the "media". Bellator matches Alvarez's offer and everyone had a shitfit saying they were holding him hostage and he should be let go. The "media" was basically fine with tar and feathering Bellator. Now the UFC matches Melendez's offer and everyone is fine with it. I doubt the "media" will challenge the UFC like they did Bellator and I doubt the zombie will whine about Melendez being held hostage and he should go where he wants.

Also nice to see UFC resign one of the top lightweights in the world only to stick him on a stale as shit show and probably not have him fight until the end of the year.
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:05 pm
This whole process really was a win win for MMA on a whole ....

If Gilbert had signed it would show ufc isn't immune to talent poaching and how Dana's personal vendettas get in the way of sound business practices.

But since ufc resigned Gil what bjorn and bellator effectively did was prove there are 2 viable options in mma and bellator WILL MAKE UFC PAY FOR FIGHTERS.

Anytime a free agent comes available bet your bottom dollar bellator will make an offer either resulting in a sweet bellator roster or ufc slowly having to pick and choose who they are going to keep cuz bellator is going to cause ufc to have to pay fighters what they are worth if not more.

Too bad wsof is a bitch ass feeder league otherwise we could have a real fighter market open up with 3 orgs bidding for talent.

Instead we have bellator balls out and all these other north American orgs riding coat tails ducking pitiful.

WAR BELLATOR
God of Thunder
God of Thunder

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:15 pm
Dagwood wrote:

Very bad news anyways.

Not so. This is a game changer for 'name' fighter pay & negotiating power. I mean this is a monumental happening for the sport.

It is also a HUGE blow to the stability of the UFC. Their labor costs are going to sky rocket. IMO the cash grabs they being trying to implement as of late (fight pass, major sponsor uniforms, a million new self destructive watered down cards, WFD etc.) are because they are idiotically over extended with their outside the US expansion efforts. The reason their doing that is because their domestic market at home is dying.

When you combine this with a huge 180 in UFC fan perception of the company and its leadership this last while, there is a reason Dana is imploding mentally & Lorenzo looks so unbelievably troubled every time he's caught on camera.

UFC matches Bellator offer, re-signs Gilbert Melendez; Melendez + Pettis to Coach TUF 20  Lorenzo_Fertitta_explains_why_MMA_is_still_not_sanctioned_in_New_York
It´s great Bellator is challenging UFC, this is what we wanted to happen for many years. If only UFC didn´t tie up Melendez everything would be fine. I want to see other promotions snatching UFC fighters right in front of them.
megaronnie
megaronnie

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:46 pm
UFC matches Bellator offer, re-signs Gilbert Melendez; Melendez + Pettis to Coach TUF 20  696622810 
adam
adam

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:02 pm
I really wanted to see him Bellator but at the end of the day, I'm glad he's getting paid. It's funny how he called Dana's bluff and came out on top though. I'm sure when he's done with the UFC, either retirement or leaving, Dana will remember and we'll see him try to bury Gil on his way out.

Who do you guys got for the fight?

Seems almost like a pick em for me. I think it'll be competitive.

I'm kind of leaning towards Gilbert though.
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:21 pm
TBH I think Melendez just used Bellator to get a title shot

without bellator he wouldnt have got the money he wanted or the title shot.

We all know how injury prone showtime is. what if they waste 6 months with TUF then at the end of it he gets injured and you end up with fucking Melendez vs Thompson 4 or whatever.

Kinda disappointed with this because Bellator would have promoted him better than what the UFC have been doing.

TUF dont even make it about the coaches that much anyways.
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:24 pm
fka wrote:This whole process really was a win win for MMA on a whole ....

If Gilbert had signed it would show ufc isn't immune to talent poaching and how Dana's personal vendettas get in the way of sound business practices.

But since ufc resigned Gil what bjorn and bellator effectively did was prove there are 2 viable options in mma and bellator WILL MAKE UFC PAY FOR FIGHTERS.

Anytime a free agent comes available bet your bottom dollar bellator will make an offer either resulting in a sweet bellator roster or ufc slowly having to pick and choose who they are going to keep cuz bellator is going to cause ufc to have to pay fighters what they are worth if not more.

Too bad wsof is a bitch ass feeder league otherwise we could have a real fighter market open up with 3 orgs bidding for talent.

Instead we have bellator balls out and all these other north American orgs riding coat tails ducking pitiful.

WAR BELLATOR

Knowing how stubborn the UFC is in not wanting to lose to Bellator ......this will be Bellators way of putting UFC outta business LOL  Rolling LMAO since we know UFC is so cheap

Rocksoldier84 wrote:

Stuff like this angers me with MMA fans and the "media". Bellator matches Alvarez's offer and everyone had a shitfit saying they were holding him hostage and he should be let go. The "media" was basically fine with tar and feathering Bellator. Now the UFC matches Melendez's offer and everyone is fine with it. I doubt the "media" will challenge the UFC like they did Bellator and I doubt the zombie will whine about Melendez being held hostage and he should go where he wants.

Also nice to see UFC resign one of the top lightweights in the world only to stick him on a stale as shit show and probably not have him fight until the end of the year.

so true! It didnt help that idiot Eddie Alverez was publicly shaming bellator too. He publicly admitted he hadnt even read his own contract and had left the details to his managers. but then he's going out his way throwing a hissy fit acting like he's being kept a prisoner when he signed that contract!
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:18 pm
This is great for Gilbert.  I'm sure the Bellator offer will be bringing him bigger pay days in the UFC.
wekka
wekka

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:49 pm
Dagwood wrote:

Very bad news anyways.

Dag just UFC matches Bellator offer, re-signs Gilbert Melendez; Melendez + Pettis to Coach TUF 20  4003721579  the topic

UFC matches Bellator offer, re-signs Gilbert Melendez; Melendez + Pettis to Coach TUF 20  1368594217
wekka
wekka

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:54 pm
stu3ufc wrote:TBH I think Melendez just used Bellator to get a title shot

We all know how injury prone showtime is. what if they waste 6 months with TUF then at the end of it he gets injured and you end up with fucking Melendez vs Thompson 4 or whatever.

Kinda disappointed with this because Bellator would have promoted him better than what the UFC have been doing.

This is also a good point of the view. At the very least, thought provoking.

Can you blame Gilbert? I'm glad someone else other than Zuffa is doing the extorting for a change. You could easily make an argument for Melendez getting the next title shot in all fairness too.

Do you believe by not being able to sign Melendez, that Bellator lost ground on part 2 of the Alvarez sweepstakes?

As for Pettis very possibly dropping out, I hope Nurmagomedov is the first choice as a replacement.

nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:04 pm
wekka wrote:
stu3ufc wrote:TBH I think Melendez just used Bellator to get a title shot

This is also a good point of the view. At the very least, thought provoking.

Can you blame Gilbert? I'm glad someone else other than Zuffa is doing the extorting for a change. You could easily make an argument for Melendez getting the next title shot in all fairness too.

Do you believe by not being able to sign Melendez, that Bellator lost ground on part 2 of the Alvarez sweepstakes?

As for Pettis very possibly dropping out, I hope Nurmagomedov is the first choice as a replacement.

Melendez bargained for the best deal, which is called 'business'. I have no doubt that he would have signed with Bellator just as willfully. In fact, with the matching clauses, fighters still have considerably less power than the promoters. Having another show in town does however implicitly raise their earning potential, by the very means we see here. Alvarez didn't use Bellator to get a title shot/more money. He and his business partners utilized what available means were at their disposal to seek the highest compensation attainable. In other words, they conducted normal business.
God of Thunder
God of Thunder

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:04 am
Bellator was so close to getting the #1 lw in the world but now he's on TUF. This is bad news for all global mma fans.
megaronnie
megaronnie

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:11 am
UFC matches Bellator offer, re-signs Gilbert Melendez; Melendez + Pettis to Coach TUF 20  Untitled_3
megaronnie
megaronnie

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:40 am
I mean horrible news, how will I see eddie vs gil now. tbh gil, eddie and chandler make a hell of a lot more exciting fights for gil than anyone in the ufc.

UFC matches Bellator offer, re-signs Gilbert Melendez; Melendez + Pettis to Coach TUF 20  Bailey_3
God of Thunder
God of Thunder

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:41 am
megaronnie wrote:I mean horrible news, how will I see eddie vs gil now. tbh gil, eddie and chandler make a hell of a lot more exciting fights for gil than anyone in the ufc.

UFC matches Bellator offer, re-signs Gilbert Melendez; Melendez + Pettis to Coach TUF 20  Bailey_3
Plus this could have been the turning point where fighters start leaving Zuffa FC for other promotions. Like Dagwood said it´s good that Zuffa have to open the wallet and pay fighters what they deserve but Gil leaving the mafia would be much bigger for the global mma scene.
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:57 pm
I dont blame Gil at all if that was his intention.

I'd rather see him in Bellator where he'd get his dues and be promoted like the great fighter he is.

also bailey jay gives me a boner cat

--

megaronnie wrote:I mean horrible news, how will I see eddie vs gil now. tbh gil, eddie and chandler make a hell of a lot more exciting fights for gil than anyone in the ufc.

meanwhile UFC will match him up with Maynard/ Guida/ diego sanchez level boring LW punch bags.
backdoor to zuffa
backdoor to zuffa

Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:04 pm
I want to see Melendez vs. Tibau!
Sonatine
Sonatine

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:20 am
Rocksoldier84 wrote:

If anything, the zombies are more excited about this if this guy is anything to go by:

1. https://twitter.com/ResidencyMMA/status/437810639130861568
2. https://twitter.com/ResidencyMMA/status/437812516169998336
Rocksoldier84
Rocksoldier84

Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:56 am
Sonatine wrote:
Rocksoldier84 wrote:

If anything, the zombies are more excited about this if this guy is anything to go by:

Makes me sick. Only the stupidest Zuffa Zombies would be happy that a title fight is being delayed for 9-10 months because the participants have to tape the 20th season to a stale show that not many care about anymore. Even worse is the fact the 19th season hasn't even begun to air.

Of course they say we'll see it in the UFC cause that's all they care about. It's got to be in the UFC. Everything is about the UFC. I'm tired of hearing about how every prospect and elite has to go to the UFC and if they don't then they're overrated.
Sonatine
Sonatine

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:11 am
Rocksoldier84 wrote:
Sonatine wrote:
Rocksoldier84 wrote:

Makes me sick. Only the stupidest Zuffa Zombies would be happy that a title fight is being delayed for 9-10 months because the participants have to tape the 20th season to a stale show that not many care about anymore. Even worse is the fact the 19th season hasn't even begun to air.

Of course they say we'll see it in the UFC cause that's all they care about. It's got to be in the UFC. Everything is about the UFC. I'm tired of hearing about how every prospect and elite has to go to the UFC and if they don't then they're overrated.

Amen.

It's only the marks that care about TUF these days. (This guy is the definition of zoofa mark). Neither the casuals nor the hardcore MMA fans give a shit about it. Will zoofa keep their promise to pay Melendez the matched amount? I doubt it.

I agree entirely, I'm sick of hearing about the UFC and TUF. UFC is a goofy circus that somehow sees itself as "the sport" and TUF is a rotted-to-the-bones dead horse that REALLY needs to go.

But then this is zoofa: if it ain't broke, why fix it? Because if it isn't broke, then it's almost certainly worn out to the point of usefulness. But then their arrogance, greed and bullishness will almost certainly be their downfall. I cannot wait until they fall apart. Then the sport can truly heal (that is, if the other promoters don't follow in their footsteps, which a lot of them have already done, sadly).
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum