GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
KSW
KSW

Bob Arum: The UFC thought they would hurt boxing but they just got buried Empty Bob Arum: The UFC thought they would hurt boxing but they just got buried

Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:15 pm
Whether you felt the event was a success or not, there's no denying the UFC made history this past Saturday night (Nov. 12, 2011) by broadcasting its Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos heavyweight championship fight live and free on network TV.

For whatever reason, they did this on the very same night that boxing great Manny Pacquiao returned to the ring to do battle against Juan Manuel Marquez in an exciting but controversial pay-per-view bout.

So leave it to the 80-year-old promoter of that fight, Bob Arum, to fire a few shots at MMA. From NYPost.com:

"They thought they would hurt us. Instead they got hurt because they got buried. But I think the fact they're just on for an hour helps us."

His first point, that UFC got hurt because they got buried underneath all the Pacquiao vs. Marquez 3 coverage definitely has some merit. In fact, despite mainly covering MMA, our traffic indicates a strong lean towards the big boxing fight last night. Actually, it was a complete blowout.

The second point Arum makes also has merit, considering UFC President Dana White actually told his audience to watch the Velasquez vs. Dos Santos fight before tuning into the Pacquiao match. And, apparently, that's exactly what they did.

The 5.7 million viewers UFC on FOX garnered was most definitely a success but might it have done better if it wasn't "buried" underneath a highly anticipated boxing match featuring one of the biggest draws in combat sports?
http://www.mmamania.com/2011/11/14/2560335/bob-arum-manny-pacquiao-juan-manuel-marquez-3-ufc-on-fox-velasquez-vs-dos-santos-mma-news
brace
brace

Bob Arum: The UFC thought they would hurt boxing but they just got buried Empty Re: Bob Arum: The UFC thought they would hurt boxing but they just got buried

Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:49 pm
Nice. Whether you are an underage prostitute or an MMA promoter, Bob Arum likes to rub it in your face..
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Bob Arum: The UFC thought they would hurt boxing but they just got buried Empty Re: Bob Arum: The UFC thought they would hurt boxing but they just got buried

Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:09 pm
Don't think Bob Arum lasted 50 years in the fight business by being pushed around by punks why would he start now. His take on MMA has some merit. His take on the UFC is spot on.

KSW
KSW

Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:41 am
Bob could become a problem for Zuffa, atleast I hope so. I love how he treats the mafia company like scum.
monaroCountry

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:27 am
The great Bob has been giving us fight fans the fights we wanted to see for many generations. A great man who wont back down, who can be kind to other promoters when they respect each other, or be downright nasty when said promoter is being a douche.

PacMan v JMM IV will be an even bigger and more anticipated fight.

Didnt Bob say sometime next year maybe? hope its not more than 6 months wait.
KSW
KSW

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:31 am
Welcome monaro!
monaroCountry

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:00 am
Thanks JL and crew. I love this boxing forum. As a combat fan I love boxing and MT just as much as MMA. Manny is easily my fav fighter.
Apres Moi
Apres Moi

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:10 am
KSW
KSW

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:25 am
monaroCountry wrote:Thanks JL and crew. I love this boxing forum. As a combat fan I love boxing and MT just as much as MMA. Manny is easily my fav fighter.
Boxing is awesome! Pac man is one of my favourites.
KSW
KSW

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:54 am
Apres Moi wrote:I wouldn't agree with Arum, but Zuffa "goals" weren't reached this past Saturday. I hope MMA has reached its peaked as the direction of MMA is bastardize. MMA will always be a sport for REDNECKS.
I think UFC failed this last event but I hope the M-1 version of mma will grow stronger.
monaroCountry

Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:29 am
I wouldn't agree with Arum, but Zuffa "goals" weren't reached this past Saturday. I hope MMA has reached its peaked as the direction of MMA is bastardize. MMA will always be a sport for REDNECKS.

There was a time when MMA was more about respect, honour and courage, where fighters fought not just for themselves but for their country and discipline, where fans cheered for both men and understood the moves being made and the intricacies of the sport. Many fighters do miss the Pride era.

I think M1 really do want to go this route again, Vadim has made this abundantly clear, M1 also supported the WAMMA concept which would have made MMA a properly run sport (not fragmented). Its no wonder that Fedor is now sporting his "RUSSIA" outfit instead of some clothing brands.

Kinosis
Kinosis

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:01 am
monaroCountry wrote:
I wouldn't agree with Arum, but Zuffa "goals" weren't reached this past Saturday. I hope MMA has reached its peaked as the direction of MMA is bastardize. MMA will always be a sport for REDNECKS.

There was a time when MMA was more about respect, honour and courage, where fighters fought not just for themselves but for their country and discipline, where fans cheered for both men and understood the moves being made and the intricacies of the sport. Many fighters do miss the Pride era.

I think M1 really do want to go this route again, Vadim has made this abundantly clear, M1 also supported the WAMMA concept which would have made MMA a properly run sport (not fragmented). Its no wonder that Fedor is now sporting his "RUSSIA" outfit instead of some clothing brands.

I agree 100%. It's all of those things you mentioned that makes me miss Pride and that way of thinking. Since the ufc has been in charge it's just abouot getting a win by hugging and riding out a clock if that's what you have to do and people act like that is really doing something. It's about dana showing off his face and acting tough, hack fighters peeing in each others food on a crappy reality show, slutty ring card girls, etc. It's every dirtball thing I hate that has nothing to do with real martial arts.
KSW
KSW

Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:27 am
Spot-on Kinosis but I like the slutty ring girls Wink
marchegiano
marchegiano

Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:09 am
Manny if your favorite fighter eh? still? even afters he's ripped JMM off so many times? It's like 97% of people at BS who feel Manny lost....which c'mon thats big for a forum...and pinoys about. I never been a pac man fan myself. He's just a hype train.....

Boxing's a bigger sport. People want to believe because MMA is growing it rivals, but thats nonsense. Boxing's been here since fucking Sparta. Thats thousands of years of tradition. My family alone goes back several hundred years worth of pugilistic conquest on my father's side. Grand father's a golden gloves champ. My Mother is directly related to O'Dempsey. original Dempsey, and defeater of Strongbow. Now of course I train and what have you. I want to fight in all forms of striking sports. MMA, Kickboxing, Fistiana, and would love to exhibition LPRR. I suppose it'd be fair to call me a Martial Artist, or Kickboxer, but really I'm a straight up old school 1950's style trained puncher-boxer who participates. That's just my one single example of how MMA is subsidiary to Boxing....Hell, I only started MMA 'cause the kids sparr easy. They suck.
KryonikMessiah
KryonikMessiah

Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:04 am
While we seem to disagree on KSW related things, I agree that Marquez got completely fucking robbed. Was clearly 8 round to 4 in their recent fight, and Pacquiao looked fucking lost.

Last edited by KryonikMessiah on Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michał
Michał

Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:16 am
WAR Bob Arum!

Boxing is not dead, and is still bigger and will be bigger then the sport of MMA. People don't want to see people laying on top of each other for 15 mins to win a boring fight. If MMA went back to PRIDE rules, then we can see it rise up and become a legit threat for boxing.

I watched the Manny/JMM III Twice! both time scored it for JMM, he clearly won, and was robbed. Now Bob Arum is talking about a IV fight between em, mean while Floyd Mayweather is all like: Yo Manny lets fight MAY 5. Manny is then like, I'm ready to fight anyone, but its up to my promoter.

Then Bob Arums all like, We gonna fight JMM for a forth time, even tho Manny won all 3 of them fights, we need to see it again!

Boxing fans are all like, WTF MAN!

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum