GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MMA in the ring and cagefighting are two different sports

+6
nodogoshi
CDF47
fka
TeamJohnPerretti
stu3ufc
God of Thunder
10 posters
Go down

Are ring and cagefighting two different sports?

Yes

No

View results

God of Thunder
God of Thunder

MMA in the ring and cagefighting are two different sports Empty MMA in the ring and cagefighting are two different sports

Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:50 pm
Are mma in the ring and cagefighting two different sports?
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

MMA in the ring and cagefighting are two different sports Empty Re: MMA in the ring and cagefighting are two different sports

Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:48 pm
yes totally
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

MMA in the ring and cagefighting are two different sports Empty Re: MMA in the ring and cagefighting are two different sports

Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:53 pm
Yes.

fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:12 pm
I think rules really are what make mma different not necessarily the arena its held in at least in this ring vs cage debate....btw sgould the rage be counted?
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:09 pm
No, not in my opinion.  They are different but so is tennis on a clay court, grass court,...  I like having the different platforms in the sport so there is variety, like nearly all other sports, and I think the best fighters in the world should be able to fight well in either platform of any of the shapes or sizes.

I think the ring is best for the sport and is better for strikers but cage has its place.  Just sucks that the cage is everywhere now and there are so few ring events.
God of Thunder
God of Thunder

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:34 am
CDF47 wrote:No, not in my opinion.  They are different but so is tennis on a clay court, grass court,...  I like having the different platforms in the sport so there is variety, like nearly all other sports, and I think the best fighters in the world should be able to fight well in either platform of any of the shapes or sizes.

I think the ring is best for the sport and is better for strikers but cage has its place.  Just sucks that the cage is everywhere now and there are so few ring events.
Theres not much difference in tennis. Comparing tennis and badminton is more accurate.
God of Thunder
God of Thunder

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:38 am
If you want combined records for ring and cage all fighters must compete in both. The cagefighters havent prooved theyre good until they dominate in the ring.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:35 am
I think ring and cage are massively difference.

I think ring is to the advantage of strikers. It enables cutting off the ring.

Cage is to the advantage of wrestlers. They can run more easily, and they can hold people against the fence.

I'd say it is almost two different sports.

'Unified rules' plus cage fighting vs old Pride-style ring fighting are definitely different sports.

So I guess One Championship is like a hybrid.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:33 pm
Golden Age wrote:
CDF47 wrote:No, not in my opinion.  They are different but so is tennis on a clay court, grass court,...  I like having the different platforms in the sport so there is variety, like nearly all other sports, and I think the best fighters in the world should be able to fight well in either platform of any of the shapes or sizes.

Theres not much difference in tennis. Comparing tennis and badminton is more accurate.

Ring and cage are different but not that much different. A fight is a fight. I know the cage favors wrestlers and clinching against the cage for takedowns and wall and stall and the Octagon is a large cage which can lead to boring standup fights and the ring favors strikers who can cut off fighters into the corners but that is not a huge difference. Ring is definitely better. All sports have differences like NCAA football rules and NFL rules, tennis on different courts, NHL rules vs. international hockey rules, indoor box lacrosse and outdoor lacrosse, to name a few, but the great athletes excel under all the rule sets.
God of Thunder
God of Thunder

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:37 pm
CDF47 wrote:
Golden Age wrote:

Ring and cage are different but not that much different.  A fight is a fight.  I know the cage favors wrestlers and clinching against the cage for takedowns and wall and stall and the Octagon is a large cage which can lead to boring standup fights and the ring favors strikers who can cut off fighters into the corners but that is not a huge difference.  Ring is definitely better.  All sports have differences like NCAA football rules and NFL rules, tennis on different courts, NHL rules vs. international hockey rules, indoor box lacrosse and outdoor lacrosse, to name a few, but the great athletes excel under all the rule sets.
By your logic combat sambo is judo, freestyle wrestling is greco roman, karate is kickboxing etc.

We need to inform the masses that UFC is just one version of mma and it needs to go away if we want a new golden age of mma.
fka
fka

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:46 pm
Ring and cage aren't that different....the ruleset make the biggest difference.

Usage of elbows vs stomps and grounded kneese

3-5Min rounds vs 10 min,5,and 5 overtime

Trt vs anabolic steroids lol
fka
fka

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:53 pm
Ring is great,i prefer cage but like cd is saying the differences aren't that big and any real elite fighter can adjust and compete at a high level.

The rules are really what screw alot of fighters....

Difference of having elbows on ground is extreme,same as grounded knees and head kicks,but even rules can be adapted to.

But if you want a real debate it should be unified rules vs whatever your preference may be.

One fc is a great org that proves a cage is very exciting and a perfect arena to hold fights in the pride style rules in cage produce some great fights and finishes.

Put unified rules in a ring......not sure how that would pan out....unified rules are the cancer of mma.
God of Thunder
God of Thunder

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:56 pm
^To get rid of Zuffa mma we need to get rid of the cage first of all. That´s their bread and butter.
fka
fka

Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:58 pm
I agree....all OCTAGONS,Squares,and decagon should be banned immediately.....

Only cage allowed is circular bellator cage!!!

Rocksoldier84
Rocksoldier84

Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:22 pm
fka wrote:Ring is great,i prefer cage but like cd is saying the differences aren't that big and any real elite fighter can adjust and compete at a high level.

The rules are really what screw alot of fighters....

Difference of having elbows on ground is extreme,same as grounded knees and head kicks,but even rules can be adapted to.

But if you want a real debate it should be unified rules vs whatever your preference may be.

One fc is a great org that proves a cage is very exciting and a perfect arena to hold fights in the pride style rules in cage produce some great fights and finishes.

Put unified rules in a ring......not sure how that would pan out....unified rules are the cancer of mma.

YES! Thank you. It's not cage vs. ring. It's the fucking rules. Couldn't have said it better regarding the Unified Rules.
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:29 pm
fka wrote:I think rules really are what make mma different not necessarily the arena its held in at least in this ring vs cage debate....btw sgould the rage be counted?

you cant run around the ring like u can a huge cage

you cant use the ring ropes as a tool for takedowns

RING > SAVAGE CAGED COCK FIGHTING
TeamJohnPerretti
TeamJohnPerretti

Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:35 pm
Cage is disgusting and a key part of the low intelligence Americanized product(ufc/Bellator).
fka
fka

Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:57 pm
Lmao cage helps PREVENT takedowns as much as it helps,also helps to get back up.

Strikers that need to corner an opponent to be successful isnt sn elite striker.

Again cage vs ring doesn't matter in comparison to rules.

stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:20 pm
the cage is horrible for the spectators in the arena and more ugly on tv

ring is better and more classy

even with NSAC rules mma in a ring is better than nsac in a cage

for me MMA is RING! shooto/ pride/ pancrase/ IFL heros dream!

Adax

Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:47 pm
Depends on the rules. MFC uses/used (I don't know wtf that org is doing these days) the ring but their fights are shit because of unified rules.

Let's not forget to mention their discouragement of jiu-jitsu too.
God of Thunder
God of Thunder

Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:19 pm
AudaxSynth wrote:Depends on the rules. MFC uses/used (I don't know wtf that org is doing these days) the ring but their fights are shit because of unified rules.

So promotions using the cage is alright if they have the right rules? Cage is the Zuffa version of mma.
CODELMJVG
CODELMJVG

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:34 pm
Well the ring has been redesign with M-1's idea of combining ring and cage together with 6 sides. Great improvement of having the element of striking and grappling together with no wall or stall is not apparent. Hopefully they can gain more exposure to have more organization used that that design. As for the argument for the ring of 4 sides to 8 to 6 sides. the Two are different fight strategy's and one is tailored for striking and the other is for grappling with no resets and different skills comes in to play for cage fighting or ring fighting. You have one championship has a circular geometry design with full complete rules. Personally in MMA has to exclude any exploits to keep it's purity contained.
Longtime Fan
Longtime Fan

Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:11 pm
They are not two different sports but they sure are two different versions of Mma.

I preferred ring Mma.
Adax

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:34 am
Golden Age wrote:
AudaxSynth wrote:Depends on the rules. MFC uses/used (I don't know wtf that org is doing these days) the ring but their fights are shit because of unified rules.

So promotions using the cage is alright if they have the right rules? Cage is the Zuffa version of mma.

The cage existed before Zooffa bought youeffsee. Yes it's alright because ONE Championship is an amazing force completely eating any chances Zooffa has in Asia. Yes I know Cui said some stupid shit in the past about trying to be the youeffsee of Asia but that was when they were just starting as ONE FC.
God of Thunder
God of Thunder

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:09 am
AudaxSynth wrote:
Golden Age wrote:

The cage existed before Zooffa bought youeffsee. Yes it's alright because ONE Championship is an amazing force completely eating any chances Zooffa has in Asia. Yes I know Cui said some stupid shit in the past about trying to be the youeffsee of Asia but that was when they were just starting as ONE FC.
I like ONE but in the long run they´re holding the oldschool asian mma back. Burn the sport to the ground and start from scratch.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum