GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mauro tweets reply to my Fedor comments

+11
Dorch
StillWill
KSW
RussianTopTeam
monaroCountry
CDF47
Adax
Wolfman
Kinosis
Misowaman
Dagwood
15 posters
Go down
Kinosis
Kinosis

Mauro tweets reply to my Fedor comments - Page 2 Empty Re: Mauro tweets reply to my Fedor comments

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:02 pm
Misowaman wrote:
So fighting a top former UFC great who is past his prime is BAD. White fighting a top former PRIDE great who is past their prime suddenly gets you in the TOP TEN? Cain, JDS, Brock made their name fighting past their prime PRIDE fighters.

no.... they didn't... what?

JDS made his name by beating Fabricio Werdum (In his prime, then top contender), he faced ONE faded legend in Cro Cop, but most people don't even acknowledge the Cro Cop fight.

Cain made his name off beating Kongo. He got a title shot off beating Nogueira, but he became known by beating Kongo.

The only PRIDE veteran that Brock faced was Heath Herring.

so please, try again.

I'll tackle each portion of this as I get time and feel like doing it (as I have said, I have answered these questions a million times so typing the same things again isn't very interesting to me).

The modern ufc HWs most certainly did get their hype from beating past their prime Pride fighters. Mir was considered washed up at the time and his only win anyone cared about was against Lesnar, not because Lesnar mattered but because Mir was defending MMA against a Pro wrestler with 1 fight. When Mir beat Nog he all of a sudden became a god among men. Then when Lesnar and Carwin destroyed Mir they absorbed his hype. That is how all 3 of those guys became "invincible" for a time (Lesnar actually got his 2 ways).

Cro Cop got KO'd by Gonzaga, something no one saw coming. Gonzaga became an overnight hit. Randy Couture beat Gonzaga and then reclaimed not only the hype he has from before but he was the man who beat the man who beat Cro Cop (which was still a big deal at the time). Couture then had a contract dispute with the ufc and was gone for almost 1.5 years, when he came back older, rusty and 10lbs lighter he lost to Lesnar, who then absorbed the hype Couture had from Gonzaga which came from Cro Cop.

Lesnar ended up with all the hype from both Nog and Cro Cop, because he beat Mir and Carwin (which was apparently enough to make him the #1 HW according to most MMA websites). Velasquez beat Lesnar and that #1 status transferred to him and has since transferred to JDS.

On a side note, JDS beating Werdum made people pay attention to him but when he beat Cro Cop everyone started saying what an awesome striker he was. Werdum at the time had been losing every 1 or 2 fights.

Velasquez beat Kongo but people were making fun of him for that win and calling him pillow fists because he hit him 300 times and couldn't finish him. It wasn't until he KO'd Nog that people started saying he had power.
Kinosis
Kinosis

Mauro tweets reply to my Fedor comments - Page 2 Empty Re: Mauro tweets reply to my Fedor comments

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:11 pm
Dagwood wrote:
Kinosis wrote:
Johan Lofgren wrote:Mauro is on the zuffa payroll, no doubt. I didnĀ“t hear him talking like this about CroCop when he fought similar competition in the UFC. Rizzo and Fedor are legends and no one should miss this fight.