GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you think about Zuffa?

+19
Hamilcar
SandmanFC
Dagwood
Aunt Red
PRIDE4EVER
Sonatine
monaroCountry
loyalty13
Frank Hill
nhbnews
wekka
RussianTopTeam
Adax
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Marcelo Tigre
rezin
nodogoshi
CDF47
KSW
23 posters
Go down
KSW
KSW

What do you think about Zuffa? Empty What do you think about Zuffa?

Sun May 12, 2013 2:26 am
What do you think about the past and the future for Zuffa? Was the UFC purchase a hostile takeover? Did Zuffa murder PRIDE? Are they good or bad for the sport? Will Zuffa be dethroned in the future? Do you want them to be dethroned or do you want them to sign most of the top fighters?
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

What do you think about Zuffa? Empty Re: What do you think about Zuffa?

Sun May 12, 2013 2:41 am
It was hostile takeover as NSAC Fertitta shot down the SEG request to legalize MMA in Nevada and then subsequently bought the company and got the sport regulated.

Zuffa killed PRIDE.

They have done some good growing the sport. TUF got this sport out of the ground in the U.S. and it is now on FOX and all over television.

There may be national or international promotion(s) that rival Zuffa one day in terms of popularity and top ranked fighters but I don't think they will be dethroned. UFC is the Pepsi of MMA in America and I think it will always be popular. MMA is the best sport in the world and think it will remain as popular or more popular in the U.S. in the future.

I want other promotions to also have top fighters from around the world and one or more other promotions to rival UFC one day and force mega cross-promotional super bowl type events.
KSW
KSW

Sun May 12, 2013 3:32 am
CDF47 wrote:It was hostile takeover as NSAC Fertitta shot down the SEG request to legalize MMA in Nevada and then subsequently bought the company and got the sport regulated.

Zuffa killed PRIDE.

They have done some good growing the sport. TUF got this sport out of the ground in the U.S. and it is now on FOX and all over television.

There may be national or international promotion(s) that rival Zuffa one day in terms of popularity and top ranked fighters but I don't think they will be dethroned. UFC is the Pepsi of MMA in America and I think it will always be popular. MMA is the best sport in the world and think it will remain as popular or more popular in the U.S. in the future.

I want other promotions to also have top fighters from around the world and one or more other promotions to rival UFC one day and force mega cross-promotional super bowl type events.
Zuffa became successful at the expense of asian and european mma. Their aggressive business tactics have been bad for global mma. Just look at what they did to M-1 which is a way better promotion than UFC and represents a better version of the sport.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sun May 12, 2013 4:25 am
What Zuffa did to acquire the UFC was more sinister than a hostile takeover.

Hostile takeover is typically when an entity acquires a controlling stake in a company, such as through the capital markets.
rezin
rezin

Sun May 12, 2013 6:25 am
I hate them. I absolutely hate them. Everything about them. I despise them.

They are awful for the sport. They decimated it. Locked it down. Destroyed fighters's fighting spirit.

Now it's not about fighting, it's about not losing. Not just in the ufc, everywhere.

Destroyed the sport side of it. Destroyed the entertainment side of it.

I want them to disappear from the face of the planet.

Asia, save us from this menace.
KSW
KSW

Sun May 12, 2013 10:37 am
nodogoshi wrote:What Zuffa did to acquire the UFC was more sinister than a hostile takeover.

Hostile takeover is typically when an entity acquires a controlling stake in a company, such as through the capital markets.
Is there any legal way to make them pay for this?

For those who don´t know what we´re talking about watch this..

KSW
KSW

Sun May 12, 2013 10:39 am
rezin wrote:I hate them. I absolutely hate them. Everything about them. I despise them.

They are awful for the sport. They decimated it. Locked it down. Destroyed fighters's fighting spirit.

Now it's not about fighting, it's about not losing. Not just in the ufc, everywhere.

Destroyed the sport side of it. Destroyed the entertainment side of it.

I want them to disappear from the face of the planet.

Asia, save us from this menace.
Yeah this is why I want the top fighters to sign with promotions that have better rules and ring.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sun May 12, 2013 11:33 am
PRIDE FC wrote:
nodogoshi wrote:What Zuffa did to acquire the UFC was more sinister than a hostile takeover.

Is there any legal way to make them pay for this?

For those who don´t know what we´re talking about watch this..

I don't know that much about this kind of thing, but my guess is that, while it was certainly a clear and very big conflict of interest, it perhaps not technically illegal.

Art Davie might have had an argument in a civil court that he suffered damages as a result of unfair practices, i.e. that the value of his asset (the UFC) was devalued, and that he was entitled to more compensation for the sale. I think it would be quite hard to make such an argument though. Moreover, Fertitta surely has much more cash to spend on legal council.
Marcelo Tigre
Marcelo Tigre

Sun May 12, 2013 11:34 am
<3
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun May 12, 2013 1:44 pm
PRIDE FC wrote:
CDF47 wrote:It was hostile takeover as NSAC Fertitta shot down the SEG request to legalize MMA in Nevada and then subsequently bought the company and got the sport regulated.

Zuffa killed PRIDE.

Zuffa became successful at the expense of asian and european mma. Their aggressive business tactics have been bad for global mma. Just look at what they did to M-1 which is a way better promotion than UFC and represents a better version of the sport.

Yeah, they killed PRIDE which is my favorite org. Will always be pissed about that.
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Sun May 12, 2013 2:30 pm
Scum.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun May 12, 2013 2:35 pm
^Yes they are.
Adax

Sun May 12, 2013 5:03 pm
I think they've tricked a lot of people and I think that they've closed the minds of a lot of people. I think their product isn't all they make it out to be, I think there's other ways I'd choose to spend my time. I think it's pathetic that they only rarely build up a fighter themselves and mostly have to try and bogart good fighters from global competition.
RussianTopTeam
RussianTopTeam

Mon May 13, 2013 2:23 am
Was never a fan of the UFC. Sure, the SEG days were awesome but lets face it, Asian MMA has always been the cream of the crop.
KSW
KSW

Mon May 13, 2013 3:29 am
Marcelo Tigre wrote:<3
Why?
wekka
wekka

Mon May 13, 2013 4:35 am
RussianTopTeam wrote:Was never a fan of the UFC. Sure, the SEG days were awesome but lets face it, Asian MMA has always been the cream of the crop.

But I thought no one cared for Cancrase and Shitto!?
nhbnews
nhbnews
The Godfather of MMA Media
http://eddiegoldman.com

Mon May 13, 2013 8:52 am
Zuffa represents the all-round worst in all aspects of professional sports. In the world. Period.
KSW
KSW

Mon May 13, 2013 9:35 am
Sweet Pea Is My Mom wrote:Scum.
Imo this is how Zuffa got money for the PRIDE purchase. What do you think?

Frank Hill
Frank Hill

Mon May 13, 2013 12:27 pm
Not much. Neutral
Sweet Pea Is My Mom
Sweet Pea Is My Mom

Mon May 13, 2013 3:04 pm
PRIDE FC wrote:
Sweet Pea Is My Mom wrote:Scum.
Imo this is how Zuffa got money for the PRIDE purchase. What do you think?

No doubt the money ZUFFA used to buy PRIDE was obtained through illegal, shady means. This is par for the course with the gangsters which run the company. It seems very, very likely that the UFC used its own money to fund a sponsorship deal with Xyience - which would late file for bankruptcy, oddly enough - so they could get credit to purchase PRIDE.

How could a company that would go bankrupt in 2007 afford a $12 million dollar advertising deal with the UFC in 2006? It doesn't add up.

What do you think about Zuffa? Methodgetsdana-white-fertitta-brock-lesnar
loyalty13
loyalty13

Mon May 13, 2013 9:09 pm
I'm a fan, as I am with all MMA. if you think it's Zuffa's fault that PRIDE, SF and other orgs went under, you should look at the amounts of debt they had and their terrible business model. Zuffa bought their contracts and debt out. did them a favor tbh.
KSW
KSW

Tue May 14, 2013 1:41 am
loyalty13 wrote:I'm a fan, as I am with all MMA. if you think it's Zuffa's fault that PRIDE, SF and other orgs went under, you should look at the amounts of debt they had and their terrible business model. Zuffa bought their contracts and debt out. did them a favor tbh.
Are you a fan of Zuffas business tactics? Do you like how they control the mma media?
monaroCountry

Tue May 14, 2013 4:02 am
loyalty13 wrote:I'm a fan, as I am with all MMA. if you think it's Zuffa's fault that PRIDE, SF and other orgs went under, you should look at the amounts of debt they had and their terrible business model. Zuffa bought their contracts and debt out. did them a favor tbh.

It was Zuffa's fault, same deal too. Zuffa run them to the ground (not pride), lied to investors, fans and fighters when bidding for it, and after ownership promptly disbanded the promotion and not keep to their promises.

Zuffa only wanted to buy the video library from Pride, all pride workers especially were lied to. Lenne Hardt confirmed as much in an interview a few years ago.

We all know the "BUSINESS AS USUAL" bullsh1t that Zuffa/Dana promised about Strikeforce. Tell me, where is Strikeforce now?
Sonatine
Sonatine

Tue May 14, 2013 7:49 am
PRIDE FC wrote:What do you think about the past and the future for Zuffa? Was the UFC purchase a hostile takeover? Did Zuffa murder PRIDE? Are they good or bad for the sport? Will Zuffa be dethroned in the future? Do you want them to be dethroned or do you want them to sign most of the top fighters?

The past, present and the future:
I won't lie. I got into (and back into later) MMA via the UFC. But doing research, both audibly, visually and textual on what the UFC stands for, who their owners really are, and how they interact with rival promotions, the picture starts to become much, much sinister. I do not think in any way it was a coincidence that Lorenzo Fertitta (during his time with the NSAC) blocked the SEG-led UFC into entering Las Vegas, and later buying it for a song. There was something sinister going on there. In the present Zuffa era of the UFC, we've seen a "smear, destroy and take over" attitude that has purveyed throughout, and they've convinced a lot of fans, "MMA journalists" and mainstream sports writers that the UFC is MMA, and that all others are inferior, and since Strikeforce is dead and buried, the zombie contingent have now turned their attention to Bellator. Given their problems with an oversaturated roster, endless shows and an oversaturated product, however it is only a matter of time until the numbers, the ratings and the attendance figures turn against them (and we've seen a start of this, despite what the zombie contingent will tell you otherwise).

On PRIDE
It was blatantly obvious that when they bought PRIDE, they were going to dismantle it in a matter of time. Less competition means more money for you, right?

Are they good or bad for the sport
Since they turned MMA into a knockoff of "pro wrestling" and have cultivated a legion of dumb fans worldwide that will lap up whatever tripe that Dana says, the answer is obvious. They're bad for the sport. And the less mentioned about TUF the better.

Do you want them to be dethroned or do you want them to sign most of the top fighters?
The "One Org To Rule Them All" model, (especially a weakly-regulated model that runs combative sporting events as opposed to running team sporting evens) that craves absolute power is always going to end in one way (even if it will take time). The Nazis and the Roman Empire learned this the hard way. Co-promotion has its drawbacks (finance, drug-testing issues, etc), but at least the parties involved get fairer shares of the pie.
loyalty13
loyalty13

Wed May 15, 2013 12:24 am
PRIDE FC wrote:
Are you a fan of Zuffas business tactics? Do you like how they control the mma media?
no. But i'm not a fan of most corporations soulless business practices. I mean, PRIDE had some VERY shady practices and are always seen as the victim of Big Zuffa. I'm not defending Zuffa by any means. do I watch all of their shows? of course i do. Do they shit on a lot of fighters, yes, they do. Unfortunately, thus is cutthroat capitalist culture.

Zuffa did screw a lot of people in the purchases but these were failing businesses, as viable businesses have no need to sell. ALL of those people were going to be unemployed anyway when the business finally collapsed. Ergo, they did help a lot of fighters from other orgs become N. American sensations, leading to them making more money.

The way they make media bend to their every request is bullshit and i wish other orgs got more promotion as well. Cutting media outlets who report negatively on them is complete horseshit and a real issue.

So what do I think of Zuffa? I think the same of them as HP, who made this computer and LG who made my phone. Their horrendous treatment of workers is appalling, yet I still reap the benefits of the product. Now what that says about me as a person or us as a culture is a different discussion, lol.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum