GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MR.WILLIE

Mayweather vs. Maidana: Undercard could feature Amir Khan vs. Luis Collazo, Adrien Broner vs. Carlos Molina  Empty Mayweather vs. Maidana: Undercard could feature Amir Khan vs. Luis Collazo, Adrien Broner vs. Carlos Molina

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:50 pm
With May 3 quickly approaching, it would seem the time is now to finally get the undercard fights squared away for the Floyd Mayweather - Marcos Maidana pay-per-view that could wind up the biggest PPV boxing event of the year. There have been tons of rumors and reports over the past few weeks, ranging from Adrien Broner taking on John Molina to Abner Mares fighting junior lightweight Takashi Miura to Lucas Matthysse making his return on the card. Ultimately, it appears that none of these will be happening.

Fight Hype is reporting today that Amir Khan will likely be in the co-main, taking on welterweight contender Luis Collazo in Khan's 147 pound debut. According to the report, Khan will likely make the official announcement at a press conference in the UK. Currently, Khan is in the process of finalizing a deal with advisor Al Haymon.

Despite changing opponents, it appears that Broner will still fight on the undercard. However, it won't be against John Molina. Instead, Broner could be facing Carlos Molina, the lightweight one. This is not, I repeat, IS NOT, the same Carlos Molina who was arrested before the Canelo Alvarez - Alfredo Angulo PPV. This is the guy who lost every round to Khan in December 2012 and hasn't been in a ring since.

The third and final bout looks like it will be J'Leon Love of Mayweather Promotions taking on Marco Antonio Periban.

I have mixed feelings about the undercard. On one hand, I love the Khan/Collazo matchup. It's a must-win for both, the victor would be in line for a shot at Mayweather next. It may seem silly to consider Collazo as a possible Mayweather opponent, but I never thought Maidana would fight him either. Come to think of it, I didn't think Robert Guerrero or Victor Ortiz would until they each got their win over Andre Berto. You never know (well, at least I don't).

The Broner fight leaves much to be desired. I get that he's not going to return against some world-beater after his first official loss, but Molina is really a lightweight who will be inactive for 17 months by the time the fight occurs, assuming it does. He is also a mediocre talent, even if he had been staying busy.

But, of course, one good fight is more than what he have received in the past on many PPV shows. And even though Broner (probably) isn't fighting someone who's a threat, at least he's on the card. It's clear that Golden Boy/Showtime are attempting to position the undercard in a way that they will help maximize PPV buys as much as possible. It's smart.
Badlefthook.com
adam
adam

Mayweather vs. Maidana: Undercard could feature Amir Khan vs. Luis Collazo, Adrien Broner vs. Carlos Molina  Empty Re: Mayweather vs. Maidana: Undercard could feature Amir Khan vs. Luis Collazo, Adrien Broner vs. Carlos Molina

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:05 pm
Mayweather is a joke.

Just fucking fight Manny already Mayweather vs. Maidana: Undercard could feature Amir Khan vs. Luis Collazo, Adrien Broner vs. Carlos Molina  Skip_huh
backdoor to zuffa
backdoor to zuffa

Mayweather vs. Maidana: Undercard could feature Amir Khan vs. Luis Collazo, Adrien Broner vs. Carlos Molina  Empty Re: Mayweather vs. Maidana: Undercard could feature Amir Khan vs. Luis Collazo, Adrien Broner vs. Carlos Molina

Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:08 pm
LOL. Back to bum fights for Adrien Broner. Beyond pathetic. It will be a great day when he's out of boxing. Boy is shit.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum