GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mark Hunt versus the UFC HWs

+10
PRIDE NEVER DIE
Dagwood
IQ Wrestler
Dapperdoo
Frank Hill
CDF47
nodogoshi
Wolfman
KSW
parliamentfunk
14 posters
Go down
parliamentfunk
parliamentfunk

Mark Hunt versus the UFC HWs Empty Mark Hunt versus the UFC HWs

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:20 pm
I think mark hunt will go as far as his chin and TDD will take him

if he faces too good of a grappler cormier,barnett,cain,mir, maybe werdum. He could be in alot of trouble.
and if he faces someone that will pick him apart with boxing JDS,Cain,Reem, he could be in trouble

but overall mark hunt has a good chance against anyone, as long as he stays standing and gets lands more than his opponent early in the fight
KSW
KSW

Mark Hunt versus the UFC HWs Empty Re: Mark Hunt versus the UFC HWs

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:30 pm
Hunt was a great K-1 fighter and is still a world class kickboxer. I agree, when it hits the ground Mark is not an elite fighter and Barnett, for example, would destroy him. If JDS would stand and trade it would be goodnight Irene and Hunt would be the new champ. Styles make fights.
Wolfman
Wolfman

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:33 pm
I like JDS a lot and think he deserves the Title, but if Mark Hunt (who deserves a title too) can keep it standing. It will be a long night for JDS. Let's see how the new dog hangs with the old guys now.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:18 pm
Styles make fights of course, but I see him having a good damn shot against damn near anyone.

His run to me is a little bit of a Cinderella story, but I can see him potentially going very far.

I think good wrestlers would beat him, basically Cormier and Barnett, and maybe Cain. Cain would be a difficult fight, but post-injury Cain, you never know. On the feet, Hunt sparks him. I say the same for JDS. I don't think JDS takes him down. I don't think Mir does either, or Werdum (they could, but I think Hunt has improved in this area). I think Overeem beats him, but you can't count out Hunt in that fight either. If he can land he can knock Overeem out.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:19 pm
Yeah, against a good grappler Hunt is screwed on the ground. REEM subbed him in a fight not too long ago in DREAM.

Whoever stands with him though has a good shot at being put to sleep, including JDS.
Frank Hill
Frank Hill

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:20 pm
Honestly, I think Hunt's win over Kongo was more of a curse than a blessing and he should quit while he is ahead. Better he retire on a win streak than get ground out or submitted when he starts fighting guys at the top of the division. If Joe Silva was smart (which he isn't Laughing ) he would put Hunt up against the winner of Barry/Johnson so the fans can get a real standup fight. Sadly though, Hunt will be thrust into the top of the division where he will be facing better BJJ guys and better wrestlers. It seems like Hunt's standup is still on point and his TDD has improved dramatically but I'm just not confident that he can keep the fight standing. I give him a decent chance against the HW BJJ guys, Nog, Werdum, and Mir, but Hunt will have to fight perfectly and not let the fight go to the ground even for a second. Hunt could beat the HW wrestlers, Cain and Carwin and I think he would have better chance against the than the crafty BJJ guys.

The sad part is that all these guys that are standing in the way of a title shot have a better chance against Hunt than the champion does. JDS is a winnable fight for Hunt more so than the guys who are able to smother or submit him. I don't know, I'll always support Hunt but I think he should retire on a happy note. Still, he has far exceeded anyone's expectations of him when he started fighting in the UFC. After his first fight I thought we would see 3 more repeats of the McCorkle fight. Who knew that he would pick up his skills to such a degree.

Oh well, now and forver, WAR HUNTO!
KSW
KSW

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:22 pm
CDF47 wrote:Yeah, against a good grappler Hunt is screwed on the ground. Whoever stands with him though has a good shot at being put to sleep, including JDS.
The funny thing is I´ve said styles make fights for a long time but almost no one on other forums believed me. Hunt is a living proof.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:26 pm
Johan Lofgren wrote:
CDF47 wrote:Yeah, against a good grappler Hunt is screwed on the ground. Whoever stands with him though has a good shot at being put to sleep, including JDS.
The funny thing is I´ve said styles make fights for a long time but almost no one on other forums believed me. Hunt is a living proof.

Yeah, styles definitely make fights in this sport. That's why I think Hunt would be very dangerous for JDS but less dangerous to Barnett or possibly even Cain because they can take the fight to the floor. I would actually like to see Hunt vs. Mir next because I think Hunt could finish him on the feet without getting taken down. That could line him up for a shot at JDS/REEM winner.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:28 pm
Frank Hill wrote:Honestly, I think Hunt's win over Kongo was more of a curse than a blessing and he should quit while he is ahead. Better he retire on a win streak than get ground out or submitted when he starts fighting guys at the top of the division. If Joe Silva was smart (which he isn't Laughing ) he would put Hunt up against the winner of Barry/Johnson so the fans can get a real standup fight. Sadly though, Hunt will be thrust into the top of the division where he will be facing better BJJ guys and better wrestlers. It seems like Hunt's standup is still on point and his TDD has improved dramatically but I'm just not confident that he can keep the fight standing. I give him a decent chance against the HW BJJ guys, Nog, Werdum, and Mir, but Hunt will have to fight perfectly and not let the fight go to the ground even for a second. Hunt could beat the HW wrestlers, Cain and Carwin and I think he would have better chance against the than the crafty BJJ guys.

The sad part is that all these guys that are standing in the way of a title shot have a better chance against Hunt than the champion does. JDS is a winnable fight for Hunt more so than the guys who are able to smother or submit him. I don't know, I'll always support Hunt but I think he should retire on a happy note. Still, he has far exceeded anyone's expectations of him when he started fighting in the UFC. After his first fight I thought we would see 3 more repeats of the McCorkle fight. Who knew that he would pick up his skills to such a degree.

Good post, but I don't want to see Hunt retire just yet. A fight with Mur would be sweet leading to a potential title fight. After that he can retire.
KSW
KSW

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:28 pm
CDF47 wrote:
Johan Lofgren wrote:

Yeah, styles definitely make fights in this sport. That's why I think Hunt would be very dangerous for JDS but less dangerous to Barnett or possibly even Cain because they can take the fight to the floor.
Hunt can destroy the so called "undisputed HW champ of the world" but at the same time GURAM can submit Hunt. That´s what makes this sport so interesting. Don´t believe the Zuffa hype kids.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:30 pm
Johan Lofgren wrote:
CDF47 wrote:
Johan Lofgren wrote:

Yeah, styles definitely make fights in this sport. That's why I think Hunt would be very dangerous for JDS but less dangerous to Barnett or possibly even Cain because they can take the fight to the floor.
Hunt can destroy the so called "undisputed HW champ of the world" but at the same time GURAM can submit Hunt. That´s what makes this sport so interesting. Don´t believe the Zuffa hype kids.

The sport is crazy like that which is why MMA Math hardly ever adds up.
Dapperdoo
Dapperdoo

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:14 am
Frank Hill wrote:If Joe Silva was smart (which he isn't Laughing ) he would put Hunt up against the winner of Barry/Johnson so the fans can get a real standup fight.
As a top ten p4p Mark Hunt fan I don't want to see that fight because it's a step-down from Kongo.
IQ Wrestler
IQ Wrestler

Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:02 am
I think Hunt would crush Mir. Mir has no takedown skill and he has the worst glassjaw at HW. I think Josh & DC would beat Mark but outside them, I think Hunt has a chance to beat everyone
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:17 am
I'm still convinced that Zuffa will feed Hunt only mid-tier guys hoping he won't get past them to go after their top 2-3.

Dana once went on and on about how stupid PRIDE was to put their big bankable champion who is really a 185'er up against Dan Henderson. We all know how that turned out for Wandy PRIDE's big money maker at the time.

Last edited by Dagwood on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
PRIDE NEVER DIE
PRIDE NEVER DIE

Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:20 am
Dagwood wrote:I'm still convinced that Zuffa will feed Hunt only mid-tier guys hoping he won't get past them to go after their top 2-3.

Dana once went on and on about how stupid PRIDE was to put their big bankable champion who is really a 185'er up against Dan Henderson. We all know how that turned out for Wandy PRIDE's big money maker at the time.

wandy is legend
monaroCountry

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:12 am
Frank Hill wrote:Honestly, I think Hunt's win over Kongo was more of a curse than a blessing and he should quit while he is ahead. Better he retire on a win streak than get ground out or submitted when he starts fighting guys at the top of the division. If Joe Silva was smart (which he isn't Laughing ) he would put Hunt up against the winner of Barry/Johnson so the fans can get a real standup fight. Sadly though, Hunt will be thrust into the top of the division where he will be facing better BJJ guys and better wrestlers. It seems like Hunt's standup is still on point and his TDD has improved dramatically but I'm just not confident that he can keep the fight standing. I give him a decent chance against the HW BJJ guys, Nog, Werdum, and Mir, but Hunt will have to fight perfectly and not let the fight go to the ground even for a second. Hunt could beat the HW wrestlers, Cain and Carwin and I think he would have better chance against the than the crafty BJJ guys.

The last thing Zuffa wants would be a guy that Fedor beat, to beat their top guys. If Hunt does this then we could apply the same MMAth Fedor > Hunt > insert UFC new breed.
Frank Hill
Frank Hill

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:34 am
monaroCountry wrote:

The last thing Zuffa wants would be a guy that Fedor beat, to beat their top guys. If Hunt does this then we could apply the same MMAth Fedor > Hunt > insert UFC new breed.

I don't know if that's the case, at least not historically. Nog got a great push when he came to the UFC, he was given an interim title shot against Sylvia and Nog has gotten pretty much all big fights in UFC career. Cro Cop was also going to be fast tracked to a title shot if he had won the Gonzaga fight. Hunt is different though, I don't think ZUFFA realize what a great comeback story they could have if they actually took the time to build him up properly. He would probably have been given a title shot a couple years back. Either way, I have no faith that anyone in ZUFFA is competent enough to properly book Hunt.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:51 pm

Hunt has some good momentum going now.

Absolutely no reason to retire.

As long as the wheels on the Hunt train keep turning he keeps on earning paydays. If he wins won more, he may even get a big payday.

Quitting would be stupid. This is prizefighting.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:54 pm
Dagwood wrote:I'm still convinced that Zuffa will feed Hunt only mid-tier guys hoping he won't get past them to go after their top 2-3.

Good point. The funny thing is, I can see Hunt beating them as quickly as Zuffa can line them up. As long as he isn't taking much damage in the fights it's steady pay I guess.

I could see a wrestler coming in and lay and praying him, but I do see in Hunt improved TDD, and he's got a build which makes him potentially harder to take down with a proper TDD game (sometimes the lanky guys can be easier to ground).
Frank Hill
Frank Hill

Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:31 pm
nodogoshi wrote:

As long as the wheels on the Hunt train keep turning he keeps on earning paydays. If he wins won more, he may even get a big payday.

I must have forgot this Rolling Eyes

Hunt just took out a HW gatekeeper, from here on in he will be in the top 10 of the division. There are winnable fights for him here (if not Barry than maybe Travis Browne) but I'm just worried that Hunt won't be able to keep the fight standing against the HW BJJ guys. Will his cardio hold out if he cant knock out his opponent in the first 2 rounds? I just don't want to see Hunt go on another losing streak after coming so far. I personally would be fine with him ending his career on a high note. With proper matchmaking Hunt could get a title shot that I think would be marketable. Anyway, I'm still basking in the glory of Mark Hunt on a 3 fight winstreak in the "supposed" best HW division in the world Laughing
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:06 pm
Frank Hill wrote:
nodogoshi wrote:

Hunt just took out a HW gatekeeper, from here on in he will be in the top 10 of the division. There are winnable fights for him here (if not Barry than maybe Travis Browne) but I'm just worried that Hunt won't be able to keep the fight standing against the HW BJJ guys. Will his cardio hold out if he cant knock out his opponent in the first 2 rounds? I just don't want to see Hunt go on another losing streak after coming so far. I personally would be fine with him ending his career on a high note. With proper matchmaking Hunt could get a title shot that I think would be marketable. Anyway, I'm still basking in the glory of Mark Hunt on a 3 fight winstreak in the "supposed" best HW division in the world Laughing

To me your post seemed reflective of someone who sees pro fighting as a sport first and business second, when really the roles are reversed.

It is all about making money.

Winning fights puts you in a position to earn more money, under Hunt's current circumstances.

Who the fuck cares if he loses a fight or two. He's still getting paid.

The people who'll shit on him for it aren't real fans anyway, and won't remember him regardless, win or lose.
Frank Hill
Frank Hill

Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:32 pm
nodogoshi wrote:
Frank Hill wrote:
nodogoshi wrote:

To me your post seemed reflective of someone who sees pro fighting as a sport first and business second, when really the roles are reversed.

It is all about making money.

Winning fights puts you in a position to earn more money, under Hunt's current circumstances.

Who the fuck cares if he loses a fight or two. He's still getting paid.

The people who'll shit on him for it aren't real fans anyway, and won't remember him regardless, win or lose.

I do agree with you I guess I just get a bit sentimental sometimes regarding certain fighters. Hunt seems to be pretty humble and casual regarding his recent success and I should just be happy for him. cheers
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:14 pm
IQ Wrestler wrote:I think Hunt would crush Mir. Mir has no takedown skill and he has the worst glassjaw at HW. I think Josh & DC would beat Mark but outside them, I think Hunt has a chance to beat everyone

Yup, I think Hunt would smash Mir as well for the same reason, Mir probably couldn't get the fight to the floor. I think Cain and Carwin would be dangerous fights for Hunt since they probably could get the fight on the ground.

I think Hunt takes out JDS in a standup fight.

REEM proved that he get take Hunt down and submit him not too long ago so I could see the same happening if they were to ever fight again.
CDF47
CDF47
G-MMA Rankings

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:16 pm

That would suck if Zuffa doesn't give Hunt a step up in competition. Mir, Carwin, Cain, Nog, Werdum, Barnett, Big Foot, Cormier would all be good opponents for Hunt next.
KingKongo
KingKongo

Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:55 pm
I'm a little upset about my boy getting beat up. But Hunt looked good, Kongo looked like he was a little lost when he couldn't control Hunt on the cage.

Hunt making a title run in 2012? haha end of the world is true. Looks like its ending awesomely.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum