GLOBAL MMA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

M-1 Signs 10 year Deal Where UFC Fails in Mainland China Empty M-1 Signs 10 year Deal Where UFC Fails in Mainland China

Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:53 am
Turns out Dana has a lot less support than he used to and some people are looking elsewhere for a better MMA fighting style. as good or better fighters, no unified rules, and no cage but the "Rage" (6-sided ring with fencing on bottom rung to stop roll outs).

The UFC have failed to do this. They barely got a foot outsided their Singapore office door. This is the reall deal. No Singapore nor Honk Kong crap. M-1's deal is signed with People's Republic of China government sport officials.

Guess he may not be as much of a "vadummy" as the guy that got nowhere there says.

M-1 Signs 10 Year Deal In Mainland China; Kharitonov Headlines Nov. 11 Card in Beijing

M-1 Signs 10 year Deal Where UFC Fails in Mainland China Hpothb11

Russian MMA promotion M-1 Global has signed a 10-year agreement to promote events in China on a yearly basis.

M-1 CEO Vadim Finkelchtein on Wednesday announced the news via press release, additionally revealing that the organization’s first event will take place Nov. 11 at MasterCard Center -- formerly known as Wukesong Arena -- in Beijing. That card will be headlined by former Pride Fighting Championships and Strikeforce heavyweight Sergei Kharitonov against an opponent to be determined.

MasterCard Center is primarily a basketball arena and was built specifically with the 2008 Olympic Games in mind. According to the release, it is one of the largest venues in China and can hold up to 18,000 spectators.

M-1 Signs 10 year Deal Where UFC Fails in Mainland China Screen-Shot-2014-04-03-at-12.53.50-AM

“It is a big deal for M-1 and MMA to have an event in China,” Finkelchtein said. “We plan to feature some of our best heavyweight fighters, including one of the best Russian fighters, Sergei Kharitonov. I think he will represent Russia as one of the strongest countries in MMA.”

The 33-year-old Kharitonov last competed in the MMA realm in March, when he scored a second-round TKO against Tyler East at a Tech-Krep Fighting Championship event in Russia. More recently, Kharitonov fought at Glory 16 in May, losing a decision to Anderson “Braddock” Silva in the semifinals of the promotion’s one-night, heavyweight tournament.

The heavy-handed Russian owns notable triumphs over Andrei Arlovski, Alistair Overeem, Fabricio Werdum and Pedro Rizzo during his MMA career.

“This event is very important for me,” Kharitonov stated in the release. “I am very pleased that Vadim Finkelchtein thinks I’m an elite athlete. I’m glad I got the invitation to fight, and I gladly accepted the offer.”

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/M1-to-Promote-Annual-Shows-in-China-Kharitonov-Headlines-Nov-11-Card-in-Beijing-70993

3 big world class HW match ups on the same card...

M-1 Signs 10 year Deal Where UFC Fails in Mainland China M-1-ch12

M-1 CHALLENGE 53: Battle in the Celestial Kingdom - Beijing, China 11.11.14

Dennis Smoldarev   vs.   Marcin Tybura   Confirmed
Main Event | Title Fight | Heavyweight | 265 lbs (120.0 kg)

Sergei Kharitonov   vs.   Satoshi Ishii   Confirmed
Co-Main Event | Heavyweight | 265 lbs (120.0 kg)

Damian Grabowski   vs.   Konstantin Gluhov   Confirmed
Main Card | Heavyweight | 265 lbs (120.0 kg)

M-1 Challenge heavyweight champion Marcin “Tybur” Tybura (11-0-0, 4 KO/TKO, 5 SUB), of Poland, will make his first title defense against undefeated challenger Denis Smoldarev (8-0-0, 3 KO/TKO, 3 SUB) on this explosive event.

M-1 Challenge 53 will be streamed in high definition on www.M1Global.TV, live from China. Viewers will be able to watch the preliminary fights and main card by logging on to register at www.M1Global.TV. Fans may watch all of the action on their computers, as well as on Andriod and Apple smart phones and tablets.

The 6′ 4″, 260-pound Kharitonov, fighting out of Russia, has defeatedFabricio Werdum, Pedro Rizzo,Andrei Arlovski and Alistar Overeemduring his 5 ½ year MMA career.

Kharitonov has been more involved in kickboxing than mixed martial arts of late, but his return to MMA and M-1 Global finds him in the ring with rising Japanese star and judo sensation, Ishii, in a Special Heavyweight Attraction.

Ishii has beaten, among the more notable MMA fighters, Jeff Monson,Pedro Rizzo and Tim Sylvia. Last month, Ishii suffered a cut that cost him his fight against Mirko “Crop Cop” Fillipovich.

The 5′ 11″, 240-pound Ishii will be fighting in his third M-1 Global event having lost in 2011 to legendary Fedor Emelianenko by way of a first-round knockout by punches. Satoshi defeated Monson last October in M-1 Challenge 42 in St. Petersburg, Russia.

M-1 Global originally planned to match Kharitonov against former M-1 Challenge heavyweight champion, Damian “Polish Pitbull” Grabowski (19-2-0, 6 KO/TKO, 6 SUB), who recently lost his title to Tybura. Plans will soon be announced for Grabowski’s return.

Russian welterweight Muslim “King of Kung Fu” Salikhov (2-1-0, 1 KO/TKO, 0 SUB) is also scheduled to fight on M-1 Challenge 53.
Rocksoldier84
Rocksoldier84

M-1 Signs 10 year Deal Where UFC Fails in Mainland China Empty Re: M-1 Signs 10 year Deal Where UFC Fails in Mainland China

Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:45 am
Congratulations to M-1. Hard work paid off and they got some redemption over the UFC after that smear campaign. Good move also for M-1 to stream the event.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

M-1 Signs 10 year Deal Where UFC Fails in Mainland China Empty Re: M-1 Signs 10 year Deal Where UFC Fails in Mainland China

Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:08 am
Wow, amazing news. Can't wait for this event.
JimGunn
JimGunn

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:14 am
I like the fact that this has a free stream and is on a Tuesday so I can watch it without missing another MMA card live on Friday or Saturday.
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:32 pm
Absolutely wonderful step in the right direction.

All my bitching yesterday LOL atleast they are expanding past its domestic audience and making moves where others failed.
fka
fka
http://mmaplayground.com,global-mma.com

Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:20 pm
In a perfect world m-1 would work a deal with Viacom to be broadcast by them in NA so we can get some m-1 action over here.

But I hope for the most success possible for m-1 really hope they Garner the following deserved and elevate the brand into a global one instead of just overseas
wekka
wekka

Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:55 pm
The UFC's idea of expansion in China was to go to Macau, use a couple of Chinese fighters, and fill out the rest of the card with mediocrity, and maybe a solid main event.

M-1 is going all out and giving us three fantastic fights on the largest possible stage in mainland China.

Not hard to see why M-1 is already doing far more successfully.
Adax

Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:59 pm
ufc banned
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:16 pm
fka wrote:Absolutely wonderful step in the right direction.

All my bitching yesterday LOL atleast they are expanding past its domestic audience and making moves where others failed.

yeah well thats shut you up hasnt it Rolling LMAO cat cat

good to hear m-1 expand and steal ufc's market
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:17 pm
wekka wrote:The UFC's idea of expansion in China was to go to Macau, use a couple of Chinese fighters, and fill out the rest of the card with mediocrity, and maybe a solid main event.

M-1 Signs 10 year Deal Where UFC Fails in Mainland China 2266763299 but that card was the best ever! live on fight pass!!!
Dagwood
Dagwood
http://www.global-mma.com/

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:33 pm
wekka wrote:The UFC's idea of expansion in China was to go to Macau, use a couple of Chinese fighters, and fill out the rest of the card with mediocrity, and maybe a solid main event.

M-1 is going all out and giving us three fantastic fights on the largest possible stage in mainland China.

I saw some other pics that showed there will also be a fair number of Chinese fighters on the card.
wekka
wekka

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:55 pm
It'll be interesting to see what they can manage to pick up. Whether they got a working agreement with RUFF, pick up the rest of the scraps of Legend FC, or entirely new guys that they've personally scouted.

They've honestly already put themselves in a position to where they can do anything they like.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:04 pm

Well put and great observation.

I can't wait for the day when I get to attend a big M-1 show in China Very Happy
Hamilcar
Hamilcar

Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:46 pm
This is too cool. I love to see the UFC fail and others succeed. Although, I'm still unsure what these companies expect out of China. I feel like it will always be an even more niche fanbase there than it is anywhere else. Maybe M-1 and ONE FC can change that.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:55 am
Hamilcar wrote:This is too cool.  I love to see the UFC fail and others succeed.  Although, I'm still unsure what these companies expect out of China.  I feel like it will always be an even more niche fanbase there than it is anywhere else.  Maybe M-1 and ONE FC can change that.

I've been impressed by the production quality and crowds of the Wulinfeng events I've caught. I watched part of a New Years Eve show before, which almost seemed Pride-esque, if I dare say.

China is a very promising market, because of the rapid emergence of a 'middle class' looking for places to spend their disposable income. The potential of tapping into that expanding market, if you can be successful in doing so, is immensely appealing to legions of business people. People can be cynical about China all they want. I don't buy any of it. China's emergence is the real deal. That is why China is the wet dream of substantial numbers of business people.

In the interest of economic data, renowned economic historian Angus Maddison convincingly demonstrated that China's 150 years of weakness from roughly the 1830s (in particular coinciding with the First Opium War) to the 1980s was a historical anomaly. In the re-emergence of China, what we are witnessing is a return to normalcy.

M-1 Signs 10 year Deal Where UFC Fails in Mainland China 1_ad_t11

Don't listen to the naysayers. Much of it is just sower grapes. Fuck China haters. They won't even be a footnote in the history.

Last edited by nodogoshi on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:01 am
By the way, the IMF recently announced that China is now #1 in PPP (the indicator displayed in the chart above).
Hamilcar
Hamilcar

Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:43 pm
nodogoshi wrote:
I've been impressed by the production quality and crowds of the Wulinfeng events I've caught. I watched part of a New Years Eve show before, which almost seemed Pride-esque, if I dare say.

China is a very promising market, because of the rapid emergence of a 'middle class' looking for places to spend their disposable income. The potential of tapping into that expanding market, if you can be successful in doing so, is immensely appealing to legions of business people. People can be cynical about China all they want. I don't buy any of it. China's emergence is the real deal. That is why China is the wet dream of substantial numbers of business people.

In the interest of economic data, renowned economic historian Angus Maddison convincingly demonstrated that China's 150 years of weakness from roughly the 1830s (in particular coinciding with the First Opium War) to the 1980s was a historical anomaly. In the re-emergence of China, what we are witnessing is a return to normalcy.

M-1 Signs 10 year Deal Where UFC Fails in Mainland China 1_ad_t11

Don't listen to the naysayers. Much of it is just sower grapes. Fuck China haters. They won't even be a footnote in the history.

I don't doubt China's economic prominence. I just don't see MMA becoming super popular. I think that if it could have, it already would be. They have had 3 home bred organizations already. No one has heard of them. Then too, during MMA's popularity in Japan, MMA didn't catch on in China. And China and Japan have a good amount pop culture trade. Then there has been the UFC shows in Macau, TUF China, and even Zhen Zidan (Donnie Yen) thinking about fighting in the UFC (he never did, saying that he has a bad shoulder. That and he is an international star who doesn't need to fight to make money.)With all that MMA still has not become well known in China. From what I have seen, only people who already practice combat sports in China, even know about MMA.

That being said, I am not sure why MMA isn't popular in China. My only guesses are that one, maybe it just isn't advertised enough (never saw a Chinese MMA ad outside of a UFC PPV) and two, maybe they just aren't big on wrestler/boxers go at it. They're tv shows and movies have way more exciting fights to watch without having to worry about anyone getting brain damage. I don't think any combat sport has been very popular in China. I mean, like mainstream popular.

I think, though, that M1 and ONE FC are big enough shows that they can not only make a good advertising push but also follow through with great events and real talent to grow MMA in China. I hope so.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:09 am
I respect your opinions for the most part. A couple points, though. For one, professional sports, much less prize fighting, is still quite new in China. That doesn't mean that it necessarily will catch on in the future of course, however it does present an entirely different context as compared to many other places. China is changing very rapidly. There is no history whatsoever of prize fighting, before very recent times.

Also, I don't agree with respect to MMA in Japan having anything to do with China, or that there is that much in the way of exchange of pop culture between the two. I simply don't see such a thing as existing much at all. Certainly I don't see it extending much to the level of sport, of any kind. There is much more influence on China in the way of sport from the US then from Japan (NBA is the most obvious example). In fact, when I was in China, I watched live boxing from the US televised on Chinese TV. I remember it well, because the first time I noticed it, I found the fight playing on the TV, which was the exact fight I was watching on a stream (a major Showtime/HBO level fight).
stu3ufc
stu3ufc

Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:17 am
Wulinfeng is awesome
nhbnews
nhbnews
The Godfather of MMA Media
http://eddiegoldman.com

Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:44 am
Rizin=PRIDEFC
Rizin=PRIDEFC

Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:57 pm
I am not sure about popularity of MMA in China but I think that combat sports are very popular because I watched documentary in which...
Parents give their life savings to send their children (who are 14,15 years old) to fighting school (stand up) in hope that their kid becomes some kind of champion. And if kid succeeds that family will not be poor anymore. And from thousands only few will succeed. That is some kind of kickboxing/muay thai
maybe different rules like only leg kicks(just maybe) In documentary they told its big in China and that there are bunch of fighting schools like that all over China. But thing I dont get is how from all those thousands, no one came to K–1 or Glory?
Rizin=PRIDEFC
Rizin=PRIDEFC

Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:29 pm
When I remeber lil better there was some ground game too.
Something like this :
wekka
wekka

Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:09 pm
K-1 did have Xu Yan but I can't remember whether he just came from a Muay Thai background or transitioned from something else.
nodogoshi
nodogoshi

Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:13 pm
LEGENDMMA=PRIDEFC wrote:I am not sure about popularity of MMA in China but I think that combat sports are very popular because I watched documentary in which...
Parents give their life savings to send their children (who are 14,15 years old) to fighting school (stand up) in hope that their kid becomes some kind of champion. And if kid succeeds that family will not be poor anymore. And from thousands only few will succeed. That is some kind of kickboxing/muay thai
maybe different rules like only leg kicks(just maybe)  In documentary they told its big in China and that there are bunch of fighting schools like that all over China. But thing I dont get is how from all those thousands, no one came to K–1 or Glory?

Sounds like Sanda maybe? That is actually Cung Le's base as well. Sanda is awesome.
Rizin=PRIDEFC
Rizin=PRIDEFC

Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:10 am
Yes it is Sanda!!!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum